First time at the track this year. - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First time at the track this year.
Sunday, April 30, 2006 2:37 PM
Spare and jack removed. all other interior in. With the CEL on.
Best run:

Pittsburgh raceway park

01:47 PM
29/Apr/80

Owner: Ryan Spishak (04bluecavy)
Car: 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

R/T ... .365
60' ... 2.284 <-- If I could get this down a little I'd be set!
330 ... 6.400
1/8 ... 9.845
MPH ... 71.53
1000 ... 12.787
1/4 ... 15.290
MPH ... 89.48

It was about 70 degrees. I haven't been to the track in a while to race so my launching was rusty as hell. I wasn't my fastest or best run ever but it was close.
This summer I will be into the 14's.

Overall I was pleased because everyone else sain they were running a few tenths slower than usual. So hopefully next time I got it won't be as windy and hot.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Re: First time at the track this year.
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:13 PM
what are youre mods?
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:36 PM
yeah really I am running 9.6 1/8th miles and I haven't run 1/4 mile I will tomorrow so I am very optimistic about 14's after I strip the car I have a custom made intake and custom 2 1/4 non mandrel bent exhaust with a DNX muffler
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 9:51 PM
what would it take to run 14 or low 15 on a eco tec 03 5 spd
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 11:48 AM
Update:

I recently ran the time in my sig. I knew I could do it. Full interior minus spare and jack.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:51 PM
^^^what are you mods? i mean i just got my 04 cavy..and i havent taken it to the track..so im jsut wondering what would it take to run 14's or lows 15's...
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 2:12 PM
His mods are listed in his profile. Just click on his name above and then on the next screen, click on the car.

In the first post you stated that you have a CEL. What is/was the DTC? Have you fixed it?

Friday, June 02, 2006 10:47 AM
Nope I haven't fixed the CEL> I just learned to live with it because my engine was installed from/by a junkyard so it could be anything. I had it scanned and it said: System EVAP leak (large) I don't think it messes with performance too much because it still runs good. But it probably would/could be running better.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, June 02, 2006 11:42 AM
EVAP CELs don't usually cause the car to go into open loop. Not that it's in closed loop under WOT anyways.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:42 PM
Okay, since you have the same car as me pretty much and you run at my track (and only have 1 or 2 mods more than me) I have some questions for you if you don't mind.

1. Is your "port matched intake manifold" done as per the post that was made on this site way back when?

2. Is your TB one that you bought or is it custom done? If custom, where and how much?

3. Where did you get your pullies? Both are only lightweight and not underdrive right?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:47 PM
Also, I see on your Cardomain page that some things are no longer on your car. What was on at the time you ran the 14.9?

I wish we could edit posts, but oh well, I thought of another question

How were you launching and where were you shifting?

thanks again

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:33 PM
Hey, I think I do remember seeing a you race one day when I was just watchin.

Yes, I port matched my intake mani just like in the old post, BUT while I gained some top end power, it moved my powerband up too far and actually decreased acceleration. I actually went out to the track with the "port matched" and the bored out TB and the BEST I could manage was a 15.5 Now... even though it was hot outside that day I can usually atleast pull off some 15.2's in the heat. So I removed it and put the stock one back on. A ported one kills your bottom end power.

When I ran the time in my sig I had on the STOCK Throttle Body and the stock intake manifold. And I didn't have the aluminum Alt. pulley on yet either.
Bottom line is alot of research was put into this engine and I guess the truth is that it is best to leave some parts alone unless going allout racecar or forced induction.

Launching... I'm not 100% sure what RPM I launch at. hmmm probably around 3-4K just a rough guestamite.

Shifting.. nothin fancy. Redline it every gear. Front tire pressure is around 25lbs back is hiked up to about 40.

Pullies... I bought my Crank pulley from customcargrills.com And I will have to check where I got my alternator pulley at. But I will warn you. Mine DIDN'T fit. I had to machine it down. (not too hard, but definetly a Pain in the butt.)
Yes, both pullies are lighweight and not underdrive. (I don't like messing with different belt sizes and a weak charging alt.)

Oh yeah, my TB is Revco? I think. I got it off ebay for a good deal a while ago. I don't know if they still have them on there.It is tapered down like this: 69-60-62mm. Next time I go to the track I am gonna try to switch my TB's and see what it does.

We'll have to meet up sometime out the track. Hope that helped a little.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Thursday, June 15, 2006 1:16 PM
Thanks for the info. I actually have some hope now that I can hit 14s without a cam upgrade. The crank pulley was next on my list anyway along with tranny mounts and control arm bushings.

Thanks again

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search