Helmets - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Helmets
Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:17 AM
ok so i just got my friends old bike helmet to use for auto-x, only problem is the padding is rather worn, anyone know about how much it costs to get the padding replaced and where to get it done?

Re: Helmets
Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:02 AM
Auto X helmets have to be Snell 95 Rated or better not just DOT like that one prolly is

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:09 AM
Our helmets must be Snell 2000 or better with Minnesota Autosports Club, believe it is a SCCA requirement too.
Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:19 AM
its snell and/or something else, but this is an HJC, so i assume it'd be ok, i guess i'll find out at my next event

Friday, June 16, 2006 11:14 AM
lol, I was about to say the same thing - Snell 95 helmets are now expired! The new rating is Snell M2000. The styrofoam padding inside the helmet breaks down over time and therefore the helmets have an expiry date. I would just recomend investing in a decent quality new helmet rather than try and hunt down padding.

Proud member of PreciZion

Friday, June 16, 2006 12:22 PM
ram air wrote:lol, I was about to say the same thing - Snell 95 helmets are now expired! The new rating is Snell M2000. The styrofoam padding inside the helmet breaks down over time and therefore the helmets have an expiry date. I would just recomend investing in a decent quality new helmet rather than try and hunt down padding.

Here in BC we are still allowing Snell 95 for this season, as the Snell 2005 helmets just came out, but it will be Snell 2000 minimum for next season.

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Sunday, June 25, 2006 5:02 AM
inside the helmet there should be a holographic like sticker that should say snell and a number. if the number isn't at least 2000 its not worth your trouble. I purchased a Motorcycle open face helmet for around $50.00 and it works great!

-Chris

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:12 PM
I recently purchased a helmet myself, for running my sub-14 second GTP, occasional autocrossing, snowmobiling, etc. The helmet has a Snell M2000 rating on it. I was warned that this may not always pass tech though. That "M" in M2000 is apparently for Motorcycle. I was warned by the shop that some tech inspectors will reject this helmet, the same way they would a helmet with only a DOT rating. They told me that many tracks and sanctioning bodies require a regular Snell 2000 (no "M") or better rating (these helmets are naturally more expensive). I hope to "sneak around" these touchy tech folks if possible. I'd rather have the safety of a "motorcycle helmet" than no helmet at all in an accident. Have any of the rest of you had problems or issues involving a Snell M2000 helmet? I'd be curious.

'93 Sunbird SE 3.1 5-speed
'00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan
sunbird93racer@yahoo.com
Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:09 AM
Joe Morgan wrote:I recently purchased a helmet myself, for running my sub-14 second GTP, occasional autocrossing, snowmobiling, etc. The helmet has a Snell M2000 rating on it. I was warned that this may not always pass tech though. That "M" in M2000 is apparently for Motorcycle. I was warned by the shop that some tech inspectors will reject this helmet, the same way they would a helmet with only a DOT rating. They told me that many tracks and sanctioning bodies require a regular Snell 2000 (no "M") or better rating (these helmets are naturally more expensive). I hope to "sneak around" these touchy tech folks if possible. I'd rather have the safety of a "motorcycle helmet" than no helmet at all in an accident. Have any of the rest of you had problems or issues involving a Snell M2000 helmet? I'd be curious.

He is probably refering to a Snell "SA" rated helmet, meaning "Special Applications". This is what is required for Road Racing and Solo I. They are built a little differently and have a fire proof Nomex lining, and are of course more expensive (generally $300 and up). I'm not sure what is like in the drag racing world, but an SA helmet is NOT required for Solo II. Road racing, Solo I, and sometimes for track days/lapping days do require them.

CACC BC Region - DSP
http:www.victoriamotorsports.ca
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search