my jbody has alot of under steer - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
my jbody has alot of under steer
Saturday, July 22, 2006 11:51 AM
how can i correct this, i can't go over 40 around a tight corner with out all this under steer?

Displacement= 2.2L
Valve Train= OHV
Bore & Stroke= 3.50 x 3.46
Compression Ratio= 9 to 1
Net HP @ RPM= 125 @ 5200
Maximum Torque Ft Lbs @ RPM= 135 @ 4000
Fuel System= MFI
Normal Oil Pressure: psi @ 3000 RPM= 56

Re: my jbody has alot of under steer
Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:24 PM
Welcome to the world of J-Body handling. They are built with understeer in them. You can change the suspension, add anti-roll bars, put better tires on it. Lots of things you can do.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:35 PM
thanks for the info vision racing

Displacement= 2.2L
Valve Train= OHV
Net HP @ RPM= 125 @ 5200
Fuel System= MFI
Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:16 PM
Add a rear sway bar, problem fixed.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 3:15 PM
Quote:

my jbody has alot of under steer

hahahaha this was somewhat of a surprise to you, eh?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, July 22, 2006 3:49 PM
IMO, the cavi does have understeer, but if you know how to run a good line and have good throttle control you can surprise some poeple with that car for sure

------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:31 PM
your obviously entering the corner way too hot. most stock cars some with understeer engineered in for safety purposes. If you want to take corners fast you'll need proper suspension, but even with proper suspension if your entry velocity is too high for the tires your always going to experience understeer and plow no matter what direction the tires are facing.

hit a few autox's and learn to handle the car before you start upgrading the suspension to remedy this problem. Then not only will you be a better driver but you'll also understand how the upgrade made a difference.

-Chris

Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:38 PM
^^^ well said.

Understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:44 PM
THANX FOR THE EXELLENT OVER VIEW I THINK YOUR THE NICEST PERSON ON THIS SITE EVERYONE ELSE IS SO RUDE THANX AGAIN.....

Displacement= 2.2L
Valve Train= OHV
Net HP @ RPM= 125 @ 5200
Fuel System= MFI
Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:30 PM
teh Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:^^^ well said.

Personally, I think oversteer is easier to control because you can power out of it. Once you have reached terminal understeer there isn't much you can do .

Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:08 PM
jbody305 wrote:THANX FOR THE EXELLENT OVER VIEW I THINK YOUR THE NICEST PERSON ON THIS SITE EVERYONE ELSE IS SO RUDE THANX AGAIN.....

who was being rude?

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said

Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:33 PM
lets see orlandomon,meckster and thats about it

Displacement= 2.2L
Valve Train= OHV
Net HP @ RPM= 125 @ 5200
Fuel System= MFI
Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:39 PM
225/50/16 kdw fronts + 205/55/16 rears= lots of oversteer

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph
Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:41 PM
no premium so i cant edit, rears should have read 205/55r16 rs-a

--------------------------------------
04 Cavalier LS Sport- Red with factory silver stripes.
16.186 @ 86.98mph
Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:31 PM
Zach.........your sig makes me smile

Monday, July 24, 2006 12:45 PM
IamRascal wrote:your obviously entering the corner way too hot. most stock cars some with understeer engineered in for safety purposes. If you want to take corners fast you'll need proper suspension, but even with proper suspension if your entry velocity is too high for the tires your always going to experience understeer and plow no matter what direction the tires are facing.

hit a few autox's and learn to handle the car before you start upgrading the suspension to remedy this problem. Then not only will you be a better driver but you'll also understand how the upgrade made a difference.
Exactly! Everyone seems to suggest a rear sway bar to fix the issue... but that may not fix the issue, and may make things worse.

A sway bar is used to fine tune a suspension set-up, and is not suggested as a first mod.

I totally agree with IamRascal, in that you should go to afew autox and see how you drive.

I would suggest that, you can start making choices on how to improve your handling.

You may find that tires would be best for you, or maybe a sway bar, or different struts.

If your tires are pretty worn, then I would suggest replacing those first. If they are in good condition (still decent tread, not full of plugs, and not a cheap Walmart no-name tire) then I would suggest some strut tower bars. Those are relatively inexpensive, and will provide a more consistent handling. A sub frame brace is also a great first mod.

After those, you should have a fairly consistent handling vehicle, with hopefully no supprises when taking corners. That is when you start tuning. Depending on your goals, and how you prefer the car to handle, you would choose a spring a strut package. The stiffness and drop of the vehicle would would be designated by the springs. After choosing which springs would be best for your vehicle, you would need to choose a strut which is capable of controlling the compression and rebound of the springs. An adjustable strut would be suggested, so that you could control the dampening of the vehicle to your needs.

After all that has been exhausted, and if you are still trying to counter-act over/understeer, then sway bars would be used. Most people go through afew sway bars until they find one (front + back) that best suits their needs.

After the best sway bar package has been decieded and installed, then r-compound tires would be used.

Monday, July 24, 2006 2:28 PM
thanx that helps

Displacement= 2.2L
Valve Train= OHV
Net HP @ RPM= 125 @ 5200
Fuel System= MFI
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:19 AM
Blame the MacPherson strut ASM your car was built with. Kinda sucks not having an upper A arm doesn't it, J body guys?

--------------

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:22 AM
The number one thing about cars today is that they don't have a full chassis! It kills us all!

--------------

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:00 AM
David S, The Camaro Guy. wrote:The number one thing about cars today is that they don't have a full chassis! It kills us all!

no, it really doesn't. there are tradeoffs naturally, but last I checked, there weren't any full-frame cars built within the $$$ realm of the average consumer that could handle like the better unibody cars of today. Granted, MacPherson isn't optimal either, but there's also much worse. Torsion bar, monoleaf, etc.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, July 25, 2006 5:00 PM
vette has monoleaf rear sus. and its one of the few irs's that doesn't wheelhop like a mutha off the line. and ever since the c3 to the c6 zo6 it has been proving itself time and time again over much more complex and "modern" irs's

as far as not having upper a arms, its not about 1 or 2 parts in the sus, its the chassis package as a whole that gives you your handling

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:49 AM
Actually the lack of the upper A arm causes the wheel to rotate inwards or outwards depending on its position compared to total travel. It kills your handling ability. There is just simply less control of the front wheels in the simplied system. Why do more expensive cars use double wish bone? Cause it is better.

As for the unibody comment. Own one car that has serious power and you will see what I mean.... You guys have no idea how much the power can twist your car from a launch. Enough to bend your quarter panels.

--------------

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:52 AM
"HINT" We drive FWD cars, not RWD. "/HINT"

If you ever "twist" a J body because of power, it won't have the original engine placement.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Sunday, July 30, 2006 4:34 PM
Zach wrote:
teh Sunfires... (Tom) wrote:^^^ well said.

Personally, I think oversteer is easier to control because you can power out of it. Once you have reached terminal understeer there isn't much you can do .

For an experienced driver with higher than average ability, you may be right. For the average regular every day Joe driver (like 80% a safe guess?) I don't agree.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search