Gear differences - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gear differences
Friday, October 20, 2006 11:07 PM
Are the gear ratios different in a 2000 Z24 and a 2003 Sunfire Se? I know the z24 was high 3s but have no idea on the sunfire. Would they also have the same tranny too. I was wondering about this today.

2003 Sunfire
2000 Z-24 K&N Filtercharger
2001 Z28 Camaro: Kooks Longtube headers,
Magnoflow Catted Y pipe,
Loudmouth Exaust,Ultra Z Hood with Ram air kit,
SLP Air Lid with K&N filter,
SLP MAF & Bellows,17"Firehawk Wheels

Re: Gear differences
Saturday, October 21, 2006 8:01 AM
TheZman wrote:Are the gear ratios different in a 2000 Z24 and a 2003 Sunfire Se? I know the z24 was high 3s but have no idea on the sunfire. Would they also have the same tranny too. I was wondering about this today.

Tranny's in all 2000+ J's are all getrags. The 2.4 and the Ecotec tranny's share the same gear ratio, but the 2200 with a getrag has a slightly lower gear ratio (overall gear ratio). The bellhousing's are different for all 3 motors.

FU Tuning

Saturday, November 11, 2006 6:50 PM
so numerically lower gears is better right?, if not how do i go about finding better gearing for the 2200? 01 5spd
Saturday, November 11, 2006 10:00 PM
there is no better, it depend on what you want. high gearing will have a crazzy torque feeling while driving the car, but cruising down the highway rpms are way up there, lower gearing gets you going slower but top speed (physical gearing will get you higher speeds, doesn't mean the car has enough power to get there )is higher and lower rpm cruising

Sunday, November 12, 2006 8:01 PM
here check this out i thought it was intresting its from v6Z24.com
heres the link
http://www.v6z24.com/specs/ratios
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search