What am I doing wrong? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What am I doing wrong?
Saturday, August 04, 2007 11:03 PM
Just had a depressing night at the track... car actually ran worse then when I first bought it. The only thing I have is a short-ram intake for now.

When I first took it to the track, about a year ago, I ran a 16.821 @ 81.150MPH. It's the 2.4 with the auto transmission. I figured it wasn't too bad. I had a full tank of gas, subs in the trunk, and my 18's on it. Today, I took out my subs, my spare tire, and ran it with 1/4 tank of gas. I also played with the tire pressure to see if it made a difference. I did my best run with tires at 22psi, 17.150 @ 79.26MPH. I was pretty shocked, I was expecting at least a 16.7 with the weight gone... not an increase of .3 seconds.

Here's what I do, lemme know if this is right, or if I should be doing something else:

I launch with the RPM's around 2k, 2.5k and the brake held, ebrake up 1 click to shut off traction control. Then pretty much floor it as soon as it starts moving. Not much else I can do with the Auto tranny. The wheels don't spin much as the car is already moving... my 60 ft times sucked as well tonight. Last time it was 2.479, tonight it was 2.517.

Should I adjust the tire pressure more? Launch higher/lower, or just from a dead stop?

On a good note, I did beat a Del Sol which ran 17.7's all night, a 97 ish eclipse that was running 17.4's all night, a Civic that ran 17.9, a Protege that ran 18.5, and a Lancer that ran 17.7.

Maybe it was the humidity? 72% tonight and 75 degrees. I dunno... I'm just sad, lol. Time for boost.

Re: What am I doing wrong?
Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:26 AM
on street tires....I think I'd leave tire pressure alone really. in stock form we don't really make enough power to justify the lower pressure. try it again with the tires aired up also remember...cars make diff hp on different days...just keep gettin them runs in...practice makes perfect...and easier for ya to launch when you DO boost

Sunday, August 05, 2007 4:23 AM
Well with the bad 60ft's, you were either spinning, or not getting out of the hole hard enough. Sorry DTP, but you should always adjust tire pressure (REGARDLESS of the type of tire you are running). As for launching the car. Try different things. I do not know that I would have the ebrake up (even if it is one click). You can put the car in second to turn off ETS. Weather and track conditions play a huge part in track times. When is the last time the car had a tune up?

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 05, 2007 7:01 AM
well when i ran my car its like to lauch from around 800 to 900 rpms. I do go through the water and then just stomp on it to heat up the tires a bit. My tire pressure it normally set around 30. I have been able to pull 2.2's 60 ft. Hope this helps a bit

Sunday, August 05, 2007 8:59 AM
My first run of the night I had the air pressure up all the way like normal. Ran 17.215 @ 79.44mph. A friend of mine said to try lowering it and that's how we got the 17.15.

Car hasn't had a full tune up in a while... the other day tho I regapped the plugs and cleaned the air filter. Nothing major. I probably should give it a tune up.

Maybe I'll try launching lower next time, or just trying different things. I was content on launching at 2k last night, lol.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:13 AM
eh...I tried

Sunday, August 05, 2007 12:08 PM
Try a smaller tire/rim combo and keep trying different pressure settings with the tires.
Try launching at 2500 rpms and try it at a dead stop.It was good that you made a few minor
changes and improved your times and a good tune-up will do wonders for you.Also to give you
a comparison, the first time I ran my vert.,which is way heavier than your coupe,I had subs and spare in,
heavy tires and rims(225/50/16's)and only a WAI and I still ran a 16.7.So keep trying different things and
you'll get faster.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 9:15 PM
I ran my car for the first time last Wednesday, and my best run was 16.828 @ 82.02 MPH. My car is pretty much same as yours, 1998 z24 automatic, all stock except for a short ram intake. Took everything out of my trunk, including the spare tire. My car has 154,000 miles on it, with a just rebuilt transmission. It was in the mid 80's though, and the humidity was pretty high. I am going again this wednesday (tomorrow) and will see if I can get better times. If I can find anything that makes a differenc (for the better), I will let you know.

Jeremy
Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:21 PM
Sweet man, I appreciate it! I know it's got more potential in stock form then what I'm running, so It's gotta be something I'm doing, heh.

Thursday, August 09, 2007 3:34 AM
5spd > auto

Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:13 AM
I assume your wheels are slowing you down the most. 60 ft times are not good, but they could be worse.
I ran 16.4-16.6 stock. 99z auto

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:47 AM
I guess I am just surprised at how so many of you guys with the 5spd. or manual coupes being the same year or close to as mine are running worse or within a few tenths of what I ran the first time with my vert.(16.7)We all know weight plays a huge part and verts. are by far the heaviest.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Friday, August 10, 2007 6:57 AM
my auto vert with no backseat in it (not much but i was young n dumb) ran a 15.9....twice usually ran 16.0's though

Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:25 AM
i had a 1996 Auto Z and with the stuck 16's car was 100" stock ran 15.87@88mph

my brother had a BONE stock 2.4 auto 1996 Sedan and ran 15.72@89mph on 17 rims

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search