still slow, but getting better :) - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
still slow, but getting better :)
Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:33 AM
went to mission raceway last friday, managed to get a new best time for my car, a 14.781 @ 93.05 mph. I followed it with a 14.888 @ 92.60 mph.
my engine is still pretty much stock with the exception of the gmpp supercharger

-------------

Re: still slow, but getting better :)
Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:48 PM
Is your car heavy ? What size wheels did you have on ? Is it 5 speed or automatic ? Is mission at high elevation (altitude) ?

I'm just trying to understand the 93 mph in a SC car.

I'm confused since I got a fully loaded Z24 ecotec and with only CAI and rear section (cheap) muffler I ran 90.8 mph.

2003 Ecotec Z24
14.88 @ 93.92 mph

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:28 PM
what was your 60' time? that seems awfully slow for a 5speed eco.

I want to share something with you - the three sentences that will get you through life. Number one, 'cover for me', Number two, 'oh, good idea, boss', Number three, 'it was like that when I got here.'
Sunday, August 19, 2007 11:27 PM
Big Dan wrote:Is your car heavy ? What size wheels did you have on ? Is it 5 speed or automatic ? Is mission at high elevation (altitude) ?

I'm just trying to understand the 93 mph in a SC car.

I'm confused since I got a fully loaded Z24 ecotec and with only CAI and rear section (cheap) muffler I ran 90.8 mph.

having a fully loaded z24 with over 100' sq of brown bread, a stereo system and just under a 1/2 of a tank of gas my car weighed in a 2880 lbs, so yes, it is fairly heavy. I have 225/45/17s on fairly light wheels for the size (seem about the same weight as the stockers). its a 5 speed. mission bc is 23' above sea level.
im not sure i follow how you dont understand the mph, i've seen a few timeslips where the 1/4 mile time was better, but the mph was slower.

and my 60' time was 2.2

-------------

Monday, August 20, 2007 6:56 PM
the rotating mass of the 17s dont help a whole lot... plus the obvious stereo system and half tank of gas. When i run at the track i use 14 steelies, barely an 1/8 or less of gas and nothing but me and maybe some interior when I run... LOL...

so go with less gas, maybe switch to ur steelies if u have some, and take out the subs & you should be good

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Monday, August 20, 2007 10:38 PM
slicks on smaller wheels are in the future... and I totally forgot about racing when I filled it up earlier that week...I tried to make up for it by removing what I could at the track... only was able to remove the rear seats and the false floor cover in my trunk tho..

and I would take my sub box out if it was easy....

but as you can see its not and really doenst weigh that much considering. I really want to try and not sacrifice any comforts of the car while making the car faster

-------------

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 5:14 PM
well the two biggest things are the wheels & the gas. The stereo doesnt help but it doesnt look to be an EXTREME amount of weight. Get the wheels with the slicks and go with very little gas and ull see a significant difference I can almost guarantee

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Wednesday, August 22, 2007 7:22 PM
Al Pollon wrote:
having a fully loaded z24 with over 100' sq of brown bread, a stereo system and just under a 1/2 of a tank of gas my car weighed in a 2880 lbs, so yes, it is fairly heavy. I have 225/45/17s on fairly light wheels for the size (seem about the same weight as the stockers). its a 5 speed. mission bc is 23' above sea level.
im not sure i follow how you dont understand the mph, i've seen a few timeslips where the 1/4 mile time was better, but the mph was slower.

and my 60' time was 2.2

Thanks for the infos, Now it makes more sense.

The 1/4 time is somewhat more a traction factor but the MPH showing at the end is more of an indication on how much power the car (engine) makes. The thing here is the weight that plays against you. By taking weight off you would not only see better times (if traction is great) but also significant MPH increase.

2003 Ecotec Z24
14.88 @ 93.92 mph

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search