Any dirt trackers breaking wheel bearings? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Any dirt trackers breaking wheel bearings?
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 9:16 AM
I have a 1990 GTZ that Ive ran on asphalt for the past 2 years Im now making the transition to dirt. around here most people that run berettas or cavaliers have to replace right rear wheel bearings every few weeks. Ive heard you can adapt wheel bearings from other GM cars to keep them from breaking but I cant find any info on this. has anybody used a wheel bearing from another model? any Ideas what models have a better right rear wheel bearing that could be adapted to a beretta/cavalier? Iwas thinking maybe a grand prix? any help is appreciated.

Re: Any dirt trackers breaking wheel bearings?
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:05 AM
I have never had a problem my self but i have heard that people take them off of the pontiac minivans. Yet if you spend the $$$ and get a timken I promise you won't have that problem anymore.
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 1:09 PM
racejunkie:isnt timken just a brand name of stock replacement bearings? are they really any better? ALL:do you know if the minivan ones require any modification and what model to get them from? any other thoughts?
thanks
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 5:50 PM
Bearings off A body platform cars was the fix for GM when they went IMSA road racing in the early 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_A_platform_(FWD).

The GTZ bearing plate will require mods to mount the bearing. Mantapart offered such a kit.

On my cavy and sbird I changed the stock RR wheel bearings half way through the season when racing on asphalt. On dirt with a rutted track, every two-three weeks would be good insurance.

Get a junk bearing off a pontiac 6000, or whatever and figure out the mods required. On dirt I'd hope you have a spare rear axle or two. The GTZ rear axle is stouter than a 2G J-body, but still suseptable to a toe change from a rut or a hard touch from another car.

Spending time with a Moog parts catalog will help with what bearings went in what GM cars back then, across all alphabet bodies, and brands.

My humble .02
Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:48 AM
I have timkens in all four corners. If they would or could break from stress I would know. I race dirt and asphalt on the aspalt I bury the RF so hard my LR lift up about a 8 inches or so and on the dirt I am loading up both right sides and there still on there last I checked. I just barrowed a freind of mine one of last years hubs and he is still rocking that one also. It's good stuff never had a problem. And don't see any coming in the future neither
Thursday, September 06, 2007 8:15 AM
I was breaking Timken bearings left and right on the front of my car with 2 degrees of negative camber. I've had better luck with the cheap ones from Discount more than anything.

Friday, September 07, 2007 5:15 AM
Thats weird I love my timkens haven't broken one yet!!
Friday, September 07, 2007 5:19 AM
you are talking just the stock replacement timkens available at the parts store right? what is so special about them?
Friday, September 07, 2007 10:30 AM
I ordered mine from timken. The back ones had to be custom ordered because of the electronics were not in there and it is a solid hunk of metal. they said if I break it i would have to worry about the hospital bills before finding a replacment hub
Friday, September 07, 2007 10:51 AM
i run a 97 cavalier in iowa. i wouldnt trust the stock wheel bearings on a big wheel. i trashed out two cars in the last two years from breaking the right rear bearing. I know of at least three other people that broke them too. solution: you can get the bearings off of a dodge caravan i dont know the year but i know they work. or you can go to your nearest farm and fleet or theisens store and get a trailer bearing. this is what i have. its a little more work but real safe. then i just welded a piece of 1/4 steel to the bearing and machined my 4 holes. if you leave near dubuque, iowa i have another bearing that i had made it has a slight offsett to it if you would like to try it. like i said if your close too iowa.
Friday, September 07, 2007 4:54 PM
i dont live near iowa but thanks for the info . do you think you could take some pics of those bearings you made? I need to do something before next weekend. do th dodge mini van one botl right up.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 5:45 PM
B Claiborn wrote:I ordered mine from timken. The back ones had to be custom ordered because of the electronics were not in there and it is a solid hunk of metal. they said if I break it i would have to worry about the hospital bills before finding a replacment hub

can you get me the part number on those? I dont need the electronics though. how much did one rear bearing cost? thanks!
Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:26 AM
Let me check that part # I believe It was 150 a peice plus taxes I spent a little over 500 with taxes and all. I just called the directly and told them what I was looking for and told them that I needed them in about 2 months sure enough I got it in time. They said they could custom make it that day but I would of had to pay BIG $$ for that. I will try and find you that # though
Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:13 AM
No luck on the part # for the rear hubs. If you contact timken and tell them what your looking for they will hook you up. but like I said your going to pay for it if your just buying the rears I don't know what they will charge but i paid 520 for all 4 corners. Good luck on the search. As soon as I can I will post a pic of my set up.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search