Circle track sunfire!! - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Circle track sunfire!!
Friday, June 08, 2007 4:24 PM
I am building a ministock out of a 1999 sunfire SOHC 2.4. This is a mostly stock class, and I mean 'mostly' as 'appear stock'.

I would like some ideas to boost my acceleration comin out of the corners, as well as ideal springs for handling high banks. there are several cavaliers and saturns running in the top 10 out of 50, but no sunfires yet. Anything would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a pic of one of the cavaliers i'll be racing with, red #2 in the middle:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BT5002W000191&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

also... since this will be a stock car, and is no longer street legal, or will ever be driven on the street, I need to know how to remove the rev limiter / governor, so I can run 2nd gear through the entire track. I know it's possible to remove, and you guys don't like to spread the word cause of street racers, but this is for actual stock car racing.

If you'd rather not disclose the info in the forums, my email is:

low_ministock_racin@yahoo.com

Thanx for all the help!!

I just customize em, I don't fix em.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee100/lowfords22/08-30-07_1538.jpg

Re: Circle track sunfire!!
Friday, June 08, 2007 4:35 PM
First things first....99 never came with a SOHC 2.4...let alone a single overhead cam motor. You probably have the DOHC 2.4, and the only way to remove the rev limiter is with HPT, or atleast the only way to do it without adding extra things on like Megasquirt. HPT software is invisible, so it would be perfect for what you need, downfall....cost either 450 or 600 dollars, whichever one you decide to buy. Good luck on the track...if I was you, I would do the 2.3 oil pump swap, get rid of the balance shafts in the motor, put in a 2.3 HO exhaust cam with a 95 2.3 LO intake cam, high compression pistons, and tune away, and be the fastest Quad Four on the track, and possibly the fastest car on the track.
Thursday, June 14, 2007 8:17 PM
yeah there is no simple in expensive way to remove the rev limiter, as for the speed governer, if you plan on staying in second gear all the time you wont ever see anywhere near 108 mph so don't even worry about that.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:52 AM
Gut every thing you can me and a friend built one out of a 2.2 ln2 block it was so light three guys could pick it up iff the ground. remove the cat and run straight 1 and a quater pipe out under the passenger side. it's sounds so nice and you keep your torq and gain some top end. Also cut out the abs that way you can move the ecm from the front bumper to were the winsheild motors were. a little more durable. make a metel headlight cover and were the turn signal on the drvers side put a nice mess and make a cold are intake suck from their. it helps. we also drilled a large hole in the driver side rear strut and put a rod threw it to hold it at exactly ride height. that may not be nessacary depending on your track. my crews 2.2 went from 8 to fourth before he played wack a honda witha prelude and they both crashed. the hood get hood pins and skin it if it's allowed. the trunk remove the tire well and skin that remove the latches and zip pinn it down. thats all i can remeber right now it was over 2 years ago. just remeber crashes hurt but the look on the other drivers faces when you go into turn four 3 wide is priceless.

Thursday, July 05, 2007 11:15 AM
What tire size do you have to run? We have to run 70 series tires. My personal choice is the Kuhmo Power Star 175/70 14 .It may seem small but it won 19 races last. 4 this year . They sell on Tire Race for $34 each. What I'm gett to is the rotating weight. The lighter, the quicker .How long of a track is it? Hit me back .
Thursday, November 01, 2007 4:57 AM
NightmaresCavy wrote:Gut every thing you can me and a friend built one out of a 2.2 ln2 block it was so light three guys could pick it up iff the ground. remove the cat and run straight 1 and a quater pipe out under the passenger side. it's sounds so nice and you keep your torq and gain some top end. Also cut out the abs that way you can move the ecm from the front bumper to were the winsheild motors were. a little more durable. make a metel headlight cover and were the turn signal on the drvers side put a nice mess and make a cold are intake suck from their. it helps. we also drilled a large hole in the driver side rear strut and put a rod threw it to hold it at exactly ride height. that may not be nessacary depending on your track. my crews 2.2 went from 8 to fourth before he played wack a honda witha prelude and they both crashed. the hood get hood pins and skin it if it's allowed. the trunk remove the tire well and skin that remove the latches and zip pinn it down. thats all i can remeber right now it was over 2 years ago. just remeber crashes hurt but the look on the other drivers faces when you go into turn four 3 wide is priceless.

That is awesome!!! Mine is also a 2.2, I just haven't done the weight reduction yet. Thanx for the info! I will be able to use it in 2008. And yes, the crashes did hurt ( like the t-bone on the passenger side), and after that I STILL won the race lol. This car likes to dominate the field, I just can't catch the saturns.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 5:03 AM
Brian Balcom wrote:What tire size do you have to run? We have to run 70 series tires. My personal choice is the Kuhmo Power Star 175/70 14 .It may seem small but it won 19 races last. 4 this year . They sell on Tire Race for $34 each. What I'm gett to is the rotating weight. The lighter, the quicker .How long of a track is it? Hit me back .

I run 185/60/14 on all but the RF, which is 195/60/14. My teammate, who runs a saturn, uses the same set-up, but runs a 195/60/R15 on the RF instead of the R14. Almost all the cars run 60 series, and our team prefers Super Steel 635's, but they are discontinued and becoming rare. Our track is a 1/4 mile mid to high bank asphalt. I'll look into that 175/70R14. My tire sponsor gets me almost all rubber for free, so It'd be worth a try! Thanx for the info.

Thursday, November 01, 2007 6:40 AM
Quote:

I just can't catch the saturns.

Thats cause half of the Saturn's bodies are plastic lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search