Tire setup for 1/3 mile dirt track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tire setup for 1/3 mile dirt track
Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:31 AM
Hey, new to the forum, have been lurking for a while and I appreciate all the information.

I recently bought a 93 Cav (2.2L OHV, manual trans) to race (hornet division) on a 1/3 mile medium-to-high bank dirt track. This will be my first experience dirt track racing and I am pumped! I bought the car in relatively race-ready condition.

The guys I bought it from were running 185 75 14s on all four wheels. I'm wondering if this is the best tire selection, or if different sizes would be better. I'm also wondering if some stagger would help. Under our rules, you can run different size tires on different wheels. Also, if it makes any difference, we have a rule that minimum tire pressure must be the manufacturer's recommended maximum, which for the tires on it is 44psi (of course, this is WAY higher than I would prefer to run, but no choice!)

So, any advice you can give me on tire size and whether some stagger would be good would be most appreciated!

Re: Tire setup for 1/3 mile dirt track
Saturday, December 15, 2007 5:22 PM
well i know that staggering the tire size does help but im not sure what sizes you need but i can tell you that 44 psi is not manufacture recommended
most 14 inch tires maximum tire pressure listed on the tire is 44, manufacturer psi is like 32.

Re: Tire setup for 1/3 mile dirt track
Friday, December 28, 2007 12:02 AM
You'll want a smaller tire on driver's side also max is usually 32 like person above said. Sucks you can't run different psi. Mine I usually run 32 driver front, 24-28 passanger side front, and 24-26 on the rear. You'll also want to run tubes in both front tires and maybe smaller tires in the back, not sure cause all are tires have to be same size. Usually ran a 185/74/14 but you might want to look into 15's or 13's to see where your gear ratio's are at. Is the track a big 3/8 almost 1/2 mile or normal 3/8, we have both in SD across the road from each other.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search