More air to '93 Cavalier? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
More air to '93 Cavalier?
Friday, January 04, 2008 8:16 AM
Prepping my newly-acquired '93 Cavalier for the upcoming dirt track season, and I had a question about the air box assembly.

The stock air box assembly is still in place. From what it looks like, out of the bottom of the air box comes a plastic tube that splits into two: one curves around, through an awfully thin bend, and ends as a small air ram-type opening between the radiator and the left headlight. The other fork of the tube goes down, underneath the radiator, curves under to along and in front of the radiator, but it never opens (it is closed the whole way).

My questions are:

(1) It sure seems like the only opening into the air box passes through an awfully small/thin bend, much much smaller than the hose from the air box to the throttle opening. Am I missing something, or would I boost HP by providing a larger opening for more air to enter the box?

(2) The tube that runs around and then in front of the radiator without ever opening--what is the purpose of that?

The rules for our class are "completely stock" for the engine, so if I were to mod it, it would have to be something discreet--i.e., not installing a standard cold air intake. But it just seems like the whole stock system is currently relying on one very small opening for all of its available air and I would think making a bigger opening to the system would provide a lot more air.

Finally, would a high-flow washable (forget the brand) air filter also make a big difference over the standard filter? I've been looking at them but haven't ever used one.

Thanks for your help!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search