Drifting - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Drifting
Monday, February 04, 2008 10:21 AM
LMFAO!

Monday, February 04, 2008 9:18 PM
Whalesac wrote:
lostsol wrote:its called snow and an ebrake...come on now your smarter than that...........maybe not

I hope you were being sarcastic, because that's still not drifting. That's power sliding.

Drifting is the ability to pull an object through a turn based on loss of friction of the wheel powering said object. FWD cars have the turning point directly over the powering point. If there is no moment (some call it torque---> Force * distance), then you can't drift...plain and simple.

Really... drifting IS powersliding. You use the power of the vehicle to slide the vehicle. Drifting is an extreme motor sport in which race cars slide sideways on racetrack turns. It doesnt matter how you slide sideways, as long as a controled slide is achived.

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Tuesday, February 05, 2008 4:25 AM
ripping the ebrake is NOT power sliding....no power is required. I could shut the motor off completely, rip the emergency brake and go sliding...is power involved? no its off.

also...the guy sayin drifting can be done...has a wrecked cavalier in his sig...NUFF SAID lol

guys...this guy obviously created his account to poke fun at this community, and he is probably laughing because everyone got all worked up, called him retarded, when he probably fully understands things, and chooses to make you guys act as fools thinking he's retarded. So...stir @!#$ elsewhere

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:02 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:
also...the guy sayin drifting can be done...has a wrecked cavalier in his sig...NUFF SAID lol

Hey! Hey!

I respect you because of all you've done, but I KNOW that you know I was being sarcastic/a smart ass. That still hurt.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 7:16 AM
Ron Carvalho wrote:
DroptopPaul wrote:

Hey! Hey!

I respect you because of all you've done, but I KNOW that you know I was being sarcastic/a smart ass. That still hurt.

oh...oops my mistake then statement retracted...ya convinced me you was serious...and the irony was perfect hehe

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:30 AM
some of the first drifting events in america where won by fwd hondas. when the scene was still underground there was a lot of them doing it. it might not fight the exact definition, but they must have been doing something

Tuesday, February 05, 2008 5:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hff7kfMODLE

Although it's still kinda stupid and hard to keep your speed up. Just don't think it will help you with times or anything. Extremely stiff rear suspension, sticky front tires and some decent power can pull it off, but there's a hell of a lot of skill and work in between.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:45 AM
DroptopPaul wrote:
oh...oops my mistake then statement retracted...ya convinced me you was serious...and the irony was perfect hehe

No hard feelings, I just don't want the DTP to think I'm a jackass.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 1:53 PM
wow tried and true, one person throws a semi-stupid question out and the flaming and butt-hurt begins. what a timeless tradition

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 2:15 PM
02 silver cavy wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
lostsol wrote:its called snow and an ebrake...come on now your smarter than that...........maybe not

I hope you were being sarcastic, because that's still not drifting. That's power sliding.

Drifting is the ability to pull an object through a turn based on loss of friction of the wheel powering said object. FWD cars have the turning point directly over the powering point. If there is no moment (some call it torque---> Force * distance), then you can't drift...plain and simple.

Really... drifting IS powersliding. You use the power of the vehicle to slide the vehicle. Drifting is an extreme motor sport in which race cars slide sideways on racetrack turns. It doesnt matter how you slide sideways, as long as a controled slide is achived.

Then by your definition, you have proven me correct. By pulling the e-brake, you are letting the momentum of the vehicle cause the vehicle to slide. The wheels powering the vehicle don't make it slide. Once the rear wheels gain traction again (and unless you have little to no friction on the back wheels, they will) then you are no longer sliding. Take a fwd car out to a parking lot, drive in circles, even pull the e-brake if you feel like it and try to sustain a slide for at least 360*. You have your answer.

And drifting is neither a sport nor a form of racing and therefore does not belong in the racing forum. It is an act in the same way as gymnastics. It does take a great deal of talent, however, to perfect it.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, February 06, 2008 5:43 PM
thats funny cuz ive ripped the e in a fwd car with a lsd and i did mutiple 360s. also i was being sarcastic and i loved the gymnastics comment.....looks like someone thinks they are michelle kwan in their spare time.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 6:04 PM
This is like comparing Apples to Apples there really isnt a humungous difference thats like saying that its not considerd drag racing unless its RWD, The only difference is that it takes a lil more skill to drift or slide sidwayz in RWD than a FWD. just my thoughts on this subject. lol

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:11 PM
Whalesac is kinda right on the gymnastics aspect, in most drift competitions they dont actually race, they run side by side and are judged... so if you want to be technical about it, it doesnt really matter who crosses the line first.

---

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:33 PM
i never said it was a sport or a race i just said its possible to get a fwd to power over with the ebrake and let the front wheels pull the car in one direction while the rear is being controlled into a diff direction and get it to do more than a 360. so more or less you can drift with fwd................go find a wet parking lot and play with your self

for some reason i see this whole thread turning into nothing but a pissing contest

i love the jbo its so much more entertaining than tv

Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:07 PM
im not arguing the fact that it COULD be done, it would just be MUCH harder, you wouldnt have nearly as much control over the car, and wouldnt look as big and showy.

It is much easier to control the pitch of the car with the rear wheels and use the front wheels to controll the direction because the RWD pushes the entire car forward. On a FWD, the rear of the car is being pulled behind the drive wheels, so the rear wheels natural tendency is to follow the drive wheels, and without a means to keep the rears sliding (ie - the wheels spinning on a rwd), once the car loses a certain amount of momentum it will naturally try to correct itself as the rear wheels have no means to break tracton, aside from the e-brake.

---

Thursday, February 07, 2008 5:34 AM
lostsol wrote:i love the jbo its so much more entertaining than tv

Aint that the truth

Friday, February 08, 2008 12:09 PM
KooK wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hff7kfMODLE

Although it's still kinda stupid and hard to keep your speed up. Just don't think it will help you with times or anything. Extremely stiff rear suspension, sticky front tires and some decent power can pull it off, but there's a hell of a lot of skill and work in between.

hatches never look good with that big of a wing.

Caution: I have an odd sense of humor, so don't be offended by the things I say
MMMM, HIDs
Sunday, February 10, 2008 12:39 PM
hahah all the flaming owned with one clip
Monday, February 25, 2008 6:19 PM
Benjamin Wagner wrote:How do you drift with a Chevrolet Cavalier 5 speed

stop watching too much MOVIES!!!!!!!!!

cavalier can't do DRIFT!!!!!!!!!newbie!!!!!!
Monday, February 25, 2008 8:32 PM
Benjamin Wagner wrote:How do you drift with a Chevrolet Cavalier 5 speed

Here's your how to:

Step 1- Pull e brake

Step 2- Slide wrecklessly

Step 3- This is the tricky one, were you drive your car off the side of a mountain for even trying this

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:56 AM
i call it left foot braking go to open parking lot on wet night g in circles in 2nd gear and slowly push harder and harder on the brake pedal with left foot oh you have to disable abs ei(pull fuse) and the rear end will kick out slowly takes alot of practice and i mean alot its what front wheel drive rally car drivers do it pushes down on the nose of the car and allows the rear end to come out

Thursday, February 28, 2008 1:16 PM
Yeah, weght transfer. For those who read Sport Compact Car, Dave Coleman actuall wrote about this a while back.

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, February 29, 2008 8:38 AM
Whalesac wrote:Take a fwd car out to a parking lot, drive in circles, even pull the e-brake if you feel like it and try to sustain a slide for at least 360*. You have your answer.

I have actually successfully done this! No sarcasim here guys 100% truth! It took alot of effort and this is how I pulled it off!

1: black ice covered empty parking lot
2: ebrake pulled up
3: consistant pressure on the gas
4: a 200lb friend on a sled tied to the back of the car
5: lots of rotations around a light poll before we pulled it off

Everytime the car would try to pull back to straight he would give it a tug and the ass would come back out again...

It was crazy fun and yes out here in the country we ride sleds via ski ropes tied to cars! It's just more fun and you can go waaay faster before you hit a snow bank to catch air...

Pilz-E wrote:I still dream of the day when I can do a rear-engine, rear drive V12 in my sunflower.

Friday, February 29, 2008 10:38 AM
I didn't use my left foot, but I was showing off by taking some friends around this circle (very large diamiter) after I installed the Koni suspension an BFGoodrich tires, hit around 80 mph, grazed the brake pedal to shave some speed, and the backend started to slide. Made one guy crap himself! Car smelled so like s--- for the next week.

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, February 29, 2008 11:03 AM
i had a 98 cav with no rear brakes and a slammed front end that over steered enough to spin cookies when wet.(parts car i got running,was crushed later that day. got a whole 120.00 for it)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search