Drifting - Page 3 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Drifting
Wednesday, March 05, 2008 2:33 PM
1) go to mcdonalds
2) grab a couple of meal trays
3) put them under your rear tires
4) done

Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:44 PM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:c'mon guys, his interests include tracking hurricanes.....in OHIO

Ok my question about drifting stupped how was i suppose to know if no one ever told me before but why do you guy have to be jerks about it. Also why i'm at it your a dick. I do track hurricanes and I do live in ohio. I'm sure you don't know a single thing about so why dont you go to a Tropical Cyclone forum aka hurricane and ask a ? like i did and they would tell you why it wouldn't work that way and not make fun of you. I came on JBO to learn stuff and thanks to dicks like you. You make every new guy feel unwelcome i sure this sight was founded to bash people. So !@#$ grow up and treat people like you would want them to treat you @#$ hole.

JBO suck with Jack !@# like you on it.
Thursday, March 06, 2008 3:47 PM
My new car can, it sorta looks like a Cavalier i guess.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Thursday, March 06, 2008 4:03 PM
Joey Baggs (JCE Designs) wrote:c'mon guys, his interests include tracking hurricanes.....in OHIO.

Ok my question about drifting stupped how was i suppose to know if no one ever told me before but why do you guy have to be jerks about it. Also why i'm at it your a dick. I do track hurricanes and I do live in ohio. I'm sure you don't know a single thing about so why dont you go to a Tropical Cyclone forum aka hurricane and ask a ? like i did and they would tell you why it wouldn't work that way and not make fun of you. I came on JBO to learn stuff and thanks to dicks like you. You make every new guy feel unwelcome i sure this sight was founded to bash people. So !@#$ grow up and treat people like you would want them to treat you @#$ hole.

JBO suck with Jack !@# like you on it.

This is how its suposed to be.
Monday, March 10, 2008 10:11 AM
lol though that is funny and somewhat true. FWD drifting can be done dispite what these other members say. Obviously its not going to be as fast paced as drifting a 400+ hp 240 with an SR20 but trust it can be done. and done better than some of the RWD drifters. If you still dont believe this go to youtube.com and search for

Keisuke Hatakeyama F-dori

dude is one crazy drifter especially rollin in a lil honda.

but that shows u anything is possible
Thursday, April 17, 2008 8:46 PM
Whalesac wrote:
lostsol wrote:its called snow and an ebrake...come on now your smarter than that...........maybe not

I hope you were being sarcastic, because that's still not drifting. That's power sliding.

Drifting is the ability to pull an object through a turn based on loss of friction of the wheel powering said object. FWD cars have the turning point directly over the powering point. If there is no moment (some call it torque---> Force * distance), then you can't drift...plain and simple.

some1 reads the dictionary too much lol.
Friday, April 18, 2008 3:33 AM
I've gotton my back end to come out without using the e-brake before.... but it wasn't drifting.... it was more "pitch correction" than anything.

When I have my snow tires on in the winter I like to left foot brake (while still giving the car gas) coming around a 90 degree corner.... it makes the ass end come around just enough to pitch the car correctly in order to exit the corner faster... but it's not drifting...

Although I used to drift my 93 Sunbird using weight transfer and the e-brake on gravel roads (and snow) all the time.... I'm just glad I got good at it before I went off a cliff... but I don't do that crap anymore.

Basically..... if you wan't to drift..... buy a RWD car.... sure you can slide the rear end of a FWD car around but it's not the same and you really cant be competitive at slower speed or long turns without RWD.

Although from my personal experience..... it's a lot more fun to do a 4 wheel drift in an AWD car.... but thats just me..... I've drivin all kinds of cars and AWD and high power owns all.

Friday, April 18, 2008 4:00 PM
let me clear this up for the guys who say they drift with the e-brake. that is not drifting. it is merely locking up your tires and spinning the car sideways with your foot in the gas. drifting is like a forward motion burnout around a corner, fast, smooth, and no slowing down.
Friday, April 18, 2008 9:06 PM
^^^^^ so what about this...

My sunbird would naturally get sideways on gravel roads without ever touching the e-brake.... I used to get that thing at a 45 degree angle at 50mph and hold it there while sliding and counter steering all the way through the curves.... as long as I kept my speed up.... I could hold the "drift" as long as I wanted and all 4 tires where still turning.

I know that's not the same as drifting a rwd car on asphalt.... but if I had a video of me doing it.... you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my fwd sunbird, and some of the other guys with rwd cars on the same gravel roads.

I always considered it power sliding myself.....

Sideways via weight transfer and inertia only = power sliding

Sideways via breaking traction by overpowering the drive tires = Drifting

but at higher speeds.... they are pretty much the same thing for the most part.

Saturday, April 19, 2008 5:26 AM
I thought front wheel drive "drifting" was called a$$ dragging

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:12 PM
Weebel wrote:

I know that's not the same as drifting a rwd car on asphalt.... but if I had a video of me doing it.... you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between my fwd sunbird, and some of the other guys with rwd cars on the same gravel roads.

the difference is with a rwd car ur basically doing a burnout around a corner. a rwd car ur just power sliding. or whatever you want to call it. but in the end, it is not drifting. i can kick my rearend out too but i know its not real drifting. we joke about it somedays but in the end, every1 knows i just slide sideways around a corner.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 6:54 AM
I agree with you 100%.... but both ways (in which the way I was doing it) are just about equally as hard and scary to do.

Basically..... If you cant do doughnuts in the walmart parking lot while driving forward in your car.... your not going to be able to drift it either.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 6:49 AM
Drifting is the event. Like F1 racing, Ralley racing, Drag racing, etc. Power sliding is the act.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 1:32 PM
Tinkles wrote:Drifting is the event. Like F1 racing, Ralley racing, Drag racing, etc. Power sliding is the act.

Actually, the term "drift" has been around longer than you have been alive. All RWD and AWD road coarse and circle track cars rely on it (except for maybe F1), and FWD cars can't utilize it. Some asshat just decided one day to make it into a circus act with judges and fans with the extent of their automotive vocabulary limited to: VTEC, DRIFT, WHIP, and DUBS.
Saturday, April 26, 2008 6:11 AM
Whalesac wrote:
Tinkles wrote:Drifting is the event. Like F1 racing, Ralley racing, Drag racing, etc. Power sliding is the act.

Actually, the term "drift" has been around longer than you have been alive. All RWD and AWD road coarse and circle track cars rely on it (except for maybe F1), and FWD cars can't utilize it. Some asshat just decided one day to make it into a circus act with judges and fans with the extent of their automotive vocabulary limited to: VTEC, DRIFT, WHIP, and DUBS.

You've pretty much got it right in my mind...... although I know from doing it that a FWD car an utilize sidways motion to get through corners if the suspension is set up correctly. And I'm not talking about e-braking it in a drifting circus either.

I thought this was only about drifting competitions.... drifting in regular racing is another story.

If your sliding sideways to get through a corner faster (like on a dirt ovel) your car (or whatever your driving or riding) is drfting.

Saturday, May 03, 2008 3:31 PM
wow lol

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Wednesday, May 14, 2008 10:09 AM
do what i do for the hell of it at like 2 in the morning during winter i'll go and slide in the abandon mall parking lot its fun nothings in the way and hey you dont even have to pull the e brake you just go like 25 30 and turn and your sliding yay!!!!! it gets boring as hell and gets annoying because the mall security will start yelling a fussing but they can go f**k off. oh and its alot safer then being stupid and TRYING to drift on the road.
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:06 PM
Its totally doable start with some ebraking and get used to controlling then use the gas to break the traction. you gotta beat her to do it but its possible. And i got three converts who couldn't believe what i could do with a camry with a virgin ebrake . I cant believe how sensitive everyone its here. It's like everyone is a dick to make up for the lack of the four cyclinders that makes everyone think our cars suck. this is exactly why tuner car shows suck, no one can get over themselves and appreciate any ones elses work and passion. Everyone needs to pretend their cool or know it all.
Wednesday, July 02, 2008 11:44 PM
for all the guys talking about "drifting off of cliffs": after FatF3 came out, some guy in a Z24 I guess got buzzed and tried to 'drift' on the top of a parking garage at 1am. He ended up not attaining a properly controlled slide, broke threw the concrete guard rail, flew off the parking garage, landed his totaled cavy conveniently in a dumpster (at least most of it), and died. It was on the news and they blamed the release of FatF, but I couldn't find the video anymore. Although fun, trying that stuff is dangerous as hell, especially since you generally have to be going somewhat fast to get a good slide. I've almost hit plenty of people taking corners at 45mph in my pos cav, I gave up and I don't play with that crap anymore, it's not only dangerous for you, but more importantly its endangering others around you who can't see you taking that corner 30mph faster then you should be.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Gerkn

Thursday, July 03, 2008 1:03 AM
omg FAIL

Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:28 PM
The whole problem with this arguement is that people are taking certain terms like drift or powerslide, and trying to define them as general law. That ain't gonna work. I don't think anyone can really fully explain the difference between drifting and powersliding, and NOT have anyone else try and spin it differently. Both of these terms are just two different ways of saying OVERSTEER. No matter which way you say it, you're trying to get LOOSE. In a FWD car, you engage the emergency brake, breaking the traction of the rear tires and causing oversteer. In a RWD car, you (while still being able to e-brake it and achieve the same effect in a less dramatic way) punch the clutch for a split second, drop down a gear, or accelerate quickly to break the traction of the rear tires, again causing oversteer. You should use the term "drifting" to describe the actual competition. When in a drifting competition, you are judged basically on three things: Speed, Car Attitude or Angle, proximity to clipping points, and SMOKE. The difference between a FWD and RWD in a drifting competition is this. In a FWD car, you must enter the corner slower. This is because you have less force pushing you towards the center of the corner; your drive tires are putting 50% of their traction into turning capacity. You CAN achive the same attitude or angle, but it, again, will be much slower. You will most likely have to sacrifice car attitude to keep your speed up, or vice versa. Proximity to clipping points is more or less in the hands of the driver. But, hands down, there is very little smoke when drifting a FWD car, and this doesn't impress the fans OR judges. In a RWD car, you can keep your speed up through the corner, because your drive tires are putting 100% of what traction they have into pushing the car foreward. When sideways in a corner, your foreward motion is going towards the center of the corner, and then down the next straightaway. Therefore you can get through the corner faster. Because of the ability to better control your car attitude without the sacrifice of speed, a RWD car also has the advantage in the angle category. And, when your going 25 miles an hour in third gear, it's something everyone is going to see. You're making a LOT of smoke. The fans get into it when you're pegging the rev limiter and scorching the tires through a corner.

In response to the original question about drifting a Cavalier. You can do it. But it will have very little effect. The best way to drift in a Cavalier is to sell it and buy something rear wheel drive.

Hopefully that cleared things up some, and didn't just make me look like a jerk. lol.

-Trav

I'll save the world in a minute, now let me finish my Whopper.

Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:42 PM
I said three things, and stated four.

-Trav

I'll save the world in a minute, now let me finish my Whopper.
Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:27 AM
I entered an ametuer drift practise event with my old SRT-4. It had 279 hp and 310 ft lbs at the time. I was running Kuhmo Victoracers up front in 225/50/16 size and some cheap rear tires on the stock rims that were 205/50/17 in size.

I never pulled on the emergency brake at all. I accelerated entering a turn and then just let off the gas slightly while turning which would break the rear of the car loose. I would then turn the wheel the direction I wanted to go and power through the turn. It was actually pretty scary to be going 80 mph while looking out of the passenger window in the direction I was going!!!

It was very difficult and I spun out several times. I also managed to cord 3 out of the 4 Victoracers that I brought that day.

91 Cav "GT"<-- R.I.P.
91 Cavalier Wagonstein - Turbocharged wagon goodness
You can take my rifle when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:16 PM
Thought I would wake this up for more noob bashing. BTW, you don't know the meaning of Epic Fail until you have seen me drift my '95 Geo Tracker in the Kmart parking lot... Talk about ridiculous...

By drift I mean rip the e-brake and desparately try to keep all 4 wheels on the ground... EPIC FAIL...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Monday, August 11, 2008 10:08 AM
YOUR A @!#$ IDIOT YOU CAN'T DRIFT A @!#$ 90HP FWD VEHICLE, GTFO OF JBO!

2001 Chevy Cavalier (Sandrift Metallic) 8 OHV of raw fury!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search