Time Atack - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Time Atack
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:05 PM
Has anyone ever competed in on of these events? I'm trying to set up my 05 Sunfire to be competitive in the events held at Virginia International Raceway, so I'm trying to get some advice in the usual areas, suspension, power, and aerodynamics. Any help would be appreciated.

Caution: I have an odd sense of humor, so don't be offended by the things I say
MMMM, HIDs

Re: Time Atack
Friday, February 29, 2008 10:39 AM
I see no one cares about road courses.

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, February 29, 2008 10:58 AM
or maybe no one competed in one of these events

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, February 29, 2008 11:01 AM
Wow, another first for me, but some one has to have taken their J on a road course before.

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, February 29, 2008 6:39 PM
people autcross with there J's. its sort of like the samething.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, February 29, 2008 8:37 PM
i havent, but it looks like fun. the Super Street Super Lap Battle is coming to mid-ohio raceway this summer, maybe ill enter just for the chance to put my car on a real track

---

Monday, March 03, 2008 4:52 PM
Let me know how it goes, but aero isnt a factor in autoX

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, March 07, 2008 1:00 PM
srry i must have missed this post i have got on mid valley ohio or watever they call it now i think the name changed but is really cool and i plan on doing it again this summe. its deff no fun in a auto though and im switching to five speed so it should be better. i had to raise my car up a lil bit cause i kept hitting the botton of my car when i would go over sharp hills or in hard braking spots

13.1 @ 115
Friday, March 07, 2008 1:00 PM
Chuck (Chesterton) wrote:i havent, but it looks like fun. the Super Street Super Lap Battle is coming to mid-ohio raceway this summer, maybe ill enter just for the chance to put my car on a real track

yea ill be there this year again also. they had an open track day last year it was fun as hell

13.1 @ 115
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:35 AM
We have a track in Hastings NE that has open days all the time. I use to take my old cavy out there and run it. I haven't yet with 04. I am waiting to get all my suspension in place before I go back out. The other guys are right for the most part. It is a lot like autocross. Suspension, some power and good tires are needed. Unless you are really going fast, which doesn't often happen on smaller tracks, you don't need to worry about aerodynamics's stuff.

I REJECT YOUR REALLITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN (ADAM SAVAGE, MYTHBUSTERS)
Thursday, March 13, 2008 10:51 AM
I do plan on going fast, eventually want to compete in unlimited front drive. I'm catching some flak for this , but I'm planing on running 17x9's with a 255/40r17 tire. I'm also swapping my Konis for KW Variant 3's, as I heard a lot of time attackers are using these. Anybody on here use them?

MMMM, HIDs

Thursday, March 13, 2008 6:48 PM
I know a few of the MI guys have done road courses..... I had planned on it with my turbo car, but yea...... we wont go there.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, March 14, 2008 12:23 PM
In order for aerodynamics alterations to be really needed you need to be going over 100 mph. If you are planning on going that fast you are really going to need to stiffen the chassis up A LOT. Really good tire are also essential. As far as aero stuff goes, you will need a front diffuser and probably a rear one too. Those will help you stick in the high speed corners. You are also going to need to get ride of the governor. It will kick in around 115... I think... you might need to look into that one. I would also recommend a roll cage. What are you running for an engine setup? I have heard really good things about KW Variant but I don't know anyone that uses then. Most of the guy that to time attack around here NE are DSMs and V8s and some Focuses. Every time I have gone I have been the only J-Body. I think you will be fine with that rim and tire combo. As long as you aren't rubbing wider is better. It will really help you stability when cornering.

I REJECT YOUR REALLITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN (ADAM SAVAGE, MYTHBUSTERS)
Friday, March 28, 2008 11:18 AM
108, actually, but I do hope to, eventually, compete in unlimited front drive. For tires, start with RT-615's for the street class, for limited front drive, Nitto NT-01's, and for unlimited the stickiest slicks I can find/afford. What do you think of the RKSport Streetfire kit as a base for the aero package? I know its a sore subject, SpeedRacerZ, but what happened? Drunk hit you?

MMMM, HIDs
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 10:46 AM
David Harvey wrote:In order for aerodynamics alterations to be really needed you need to be going over 100 mph. If you are planning on going that fast you are really going to need to stiffen the chassis up A LOT.

I plan on getting the car seam welded, and to have a custom cage installed.
This project has been put on hold until I get a new job, as I am curently unemployed.

MMMM, HIDs
Monday, June 02, 2008 8:54 AM
Still unimployed, and the car is in impound, but I will be getting it back this week. Also, new job coming soon, hopefully as a plumbing aprentice, $35k a year.

MMMM, HIDs
Thursday, June 05, 2008 6:43 AM
actually its not really as speed related as you would like to suggest. Its more about area and speed. the larger the square footage of a wing the less speed you need to make it effective.

Ever seen the A-Mod cars/snowmobiles at an autocross?

-Chris

Saturday, June 07, 2008 10:06 AM
Snowmobiles, in autocross? Wait, the A-Mods, are they the ones that look like GT class enduro cars?

MMMM, HIDs
Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:43 AM
Hey Evil J,
Its about time to see a J in a time attack. I had two cars going, but had to sell them. Anyways may I make a suggestion to you? Take out as much weight as possible! I wouldn't try to put 255's on a J, you will have rubbing and ripped fenders all the time, unless you trim the crap out of them, and have a wide body built, and use wheels with a 60-80mm lip. Im not putting you down, i tried to put 255's on and lost a front fender! LOL. What is the engine set-up looking like?
Monday, June 09, 2008 5:24 PM
The fenders will be cut, with flares added, but first, I have to get my car out of impound before it goes on auction. Anyway, the car is fully gutted, with only the front seats, center consol, and dashboard remaining. As for the engine, right now its stock, with the exception of a RKSport intake, Megan Racing muffler, and a Prothane bushing kit. Eventually, if I ever get the car back, I hope to get a Hahn Race Craft turbo system, build the internals, using a Fidanza light weight flywheel, and a good sturdy clutch. I also hope to get a lsd, and replace the F23 with a "dogbox". I haven't nailed down how much power I want to run, yet, but first things first, coming up with enough money to get it out of impound, as I don't want to loose another car that way (first one was an '84 Charokee).

MMMM, HIDs
Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:21 PM
The Evil J wrote: I know its a sore subject, SpeedRacerZ, but what happened? Drunk hit you?

got hit by a kid on a rocket.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:24 PM
Sheesh, that sucks. Speaking of sucking, after 3 years of being both a J-Body owner, and a member of this site, I am leaving the J' scene. Due to my car being impounded, and my lack of a job, I am forced to sell the Evil J, and start over with a new project, probably of the Honda veriety, just cause it'll be easier to tune, and easier to find parts for. My love for this platform will not die, and I will eventually buy another, but for now, I will be venturing into the Japanees side.

MMMM, HIDs
Friday, June 20, 2008 12:42 AM
well looks like the super lap battle that was scheduled for this weekend at mid-ohio raceway got changed to somewhere else. im not happy, i was really looking forward to it. Some leMans style race is going to be there instead

---

Friday, June 20, 2008 8:12 AM
to OP maybe you shouldn't do things to get your cars impounded in the first place then you would still have 2 cars

Friday, June 20, 2008 2:23 PM
I only had 1 car, and the reason its in impound is parking tickets, and the only reason I got them is cause they randomly started patroling my block, pissed the hell out of me! Worst part is, I don't have a job, so there is zero chance of me getting it out!

MMMM, HIDs
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search