Question about rev limiter - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about rev limiter
Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:45 AM
I race a 95 sunfire with a 2.2L 3 sp. Auto tranny at a local asphalt track. The track is only a 1/4 mile and I run it in 1st gear because 2nd is too sluggish . My problem is going into the turns off the straight's I'm hitting the rev limiter about 50 feet before the turn and losing alot of speed. Is there anyway to help that? Right now I'm running 175/60/14 street tires which we have to run a street tire of some sort. I thought bigger tires may help, just wondering of some other ideas because I'm still new to all this and don't know a whole lot. Thanks

Ryan

Re: Question about rev limiter
Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:57 PM
hpt

and i cant believe you claim 2nd gear sluggish

edit: no hpt for you mr obd1, chip da bitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, March 09, 2008 6:58 PM

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Monday, March 10, 2008 9:48 AM
Ryan Stautzenbach wrote:I race a 95 sunfire with a 2.2L 3 sp. Auto tranny at a local asphalt track. The track is only a 1/4 mile and I run it in 1st gear because 2nd is too sluggish . My problem is going into the turns off the straight's I'm hitting the rev limiter about 50 feet before the turn and losing alot of speed. Is there anyway to help that? Right now I'm running 175/60/14 street tires which we have to run a street tire of some sort. I thought bigger tires may help, just wondering of some other ideas because I'm still new to all this and don't know a whole lot. Thanks

Ryan

A custom chip can be burned. There are a few 95 owners around here that can do it.

I'm not sure the trans won't just upshift though. The trans is all mechanical and would need governor spring changes to raise its shift points. There is a possibilty that leaving it in ONE won't stop it from upshifting above the stock rev limiter .

sig not found
Sunday, April 06, 2008 7:45 PM
I also race a 99 2.2 5speed. Try using a 70 series tire next time.It should help you get to the corner better.I need about 500rpm more than stock.Is there something I can do to the rev limiter? Anyone know where I'm hitting it now? Anybody have a working tach they want to sell cheap?Thanks
Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:28 PM
I have one, tach and all, works fine, only thing is its in km/s, but the mph is still there.
Sunday, April 06, 2008 9:32 PM
we should make a sticky on this

i've seen about 100 threads that all start with "i circle track race a jbody and hit the limiter just before the turn"

Monday, May 26, 2008 12:12 PM
take a skinny tape measure and measure around the diameter of your tire or use a stagger stick.
find a tire that is about 1 inch taller and that will get you deeper into the turn before the rev limiter .
pony stock #55
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 4:52 PM
this might help to on deciding tire sizes/speed differences
http://www.wildweasel.ca/j-body/HowTo/tirecalc.asp

The one, the only, ME.
2340 lbs without me and dropping
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 6:32 PM
Switch to a 15" rim, run a 205\65R15 or a 195\75R15

A wider tire will allow you to get more traction too, helping u go faster THROUGH the corner. The tire being taller will help you with your rpm issue. Its quite a bit of difference. Seriously, try it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 7:24 PM
or a 215/60 15 its only like a 1/2 in-3/4 in taller then the stock 195/65 15

The one, the only, ME.
2340 lbs without me and dropping
141 hp @ 6300 (ran out of rpms)
123 ft lbs @ 5200
running lean on stock ECU
megasquirt here i come
Wednesday, May 28, 2008 12:02 PM
either way switch tire sizes to bigger tires!! The tire you are running is WAY TOO SMALL.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search