What to expect?? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
What to expect??
Thursday, April 03, 2008 8:56 AM
I have a 1996 Sunfire with a 2.4L. Modifications include; Pacesetter Header, Open 2.5 inch pipes to Apexi N1 muffler, prothane motor and transmission mounts with a metal dogbone lower mount, cold air intake, o2 eliminator, B&M short shifter. What are some other easy ways to gain more horsepower while staying N/A? This is probably posted somewhere but i didnt find the results i was looking for. Also does anyone have any idea what kind of HP numbers i should be running? --__ Thanks__---

Re: What to expect??
Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:09 AM
if your looking to stay with bolt ons you can do a 2.3 ho mannifold and tb. if your up for tearing the engine apart there plenty you can do such as rods pistons cams etc just pends on how in depth you want to get

Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:11 AM
1000 HP sounds about right

but seriously, the best of the other ways are to start tearing into the motor and to get it tuned.

youve got the bolt ons covered, now you have to start tearing it apart. Cams, head work, bored block, thats where your power numbers are going to be NA. the tuning is highly recomended as it will help everything youve done work better together.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 16.3 in 1320 and falling...
Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:59 AM
the 2.3 HO manifold and tb was dyno'd to show a 10 hp loss. then everyone was making lame excusses for the 10hp loss. it was sad. if i didnt cut up my metal intake i would go back to the stock 2.4 manifold
you can always do some lighter crank and alternator pullies. new cams, P&P the head, 5 angle valve job, the list goes on
far as your power numbers
Pacesetter Header, Open 2.5 inch pipes to Apexi N1 muffler= lets say rough guess is 15 hp
prothane motor and transmission mounts=no one really knows if these mounts help gain any power back from the transfer from motor to the wheels. and i dont think we ever will know. but lets say 3hp gain
cold air intake= lets say 7hp gain
o2 eliminator= adds nothing
B&M short shifter= adds nothing

but we can play guessing games all day on power numbers and what youd run in the 1/4 mile. the only rea way to know is to run your car at a track and put your car on a dyno

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Thursday, April 03, 2008 9:59 AM
is there a certain combination that J owners like to use? like which cam is best? and where is a good place or source to find parts like the 2.3 TB?
Thursday, April 03, 2008 10:02 AM
does anyone know of a Dynojet near lansing MI? ive looked and most places are strict race shops that you have to be a member of or be in the drag circuit... thanks guys i was just curious if my money really was doing anything...
Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:12 PM
99redz24 wrote:the 2.3 HO manifold and tb was dyno'd to show a 10 hp loss. then everyone was making lame excusses for the 10hp loss. it was sad. if i didnt cut up my metal intake i would go back to the stock 2.4 manifold
you can always do some lighter crank and alternator pullies. new cams, P&P the head, 5 angle valve job, the list goes on
far as your power numbers
Pacesetter Header, Open 2.5 inch pipes to Apexi N1 muffler= lets say rough guess is 15 hp
prothane motor and transmission mounts=no one really knows if these mounts help gain any power back from the transfer from motor to the wheels. and i dont think we ever will know. but lets say 3hp gain
cold air intake= lets say 7hp gain
o2 eliminator= adds nothing
B&M short shifter= adds nothing

but we can play guessing games all day on power numbers and what youd run in the 1/4 mile. the only rea way to know is to run your car at a track and put your car on a dyno

OMG how many times do I have to repeat this,the dyno runs that were done were not done correctly to have showed a loss,when he did the dyno then swapped manifolds he did not allow time for the ecu to adjust for the differences in the a/f ratio.No one is making excuses,but someone with a STOCK 2.4 motor needs to get a dyno then swap manifolds,wait a week then go and do another dyno.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:17 PM
oh gimmie a break. i did the swap and ran a slower time with the HO manifold and TB than before. and i drove the car for 3 weeks before i took it to the track

Thursday, April 03, 2008 12:42 PM
And that means what,your foot was slower pushing the pedal this time,bah when someones wastes the money to do a REAL dyno test then well know,what do I care though,my J is gone

Thursday, April 03, 2008 1:59 PM
Quote:

And that means what,your foot was slower pushing the pedal this time

i doubt that

Friday, April 04, 2008 8:26 AM
now offense to those that have done the swap, but the stock 2.4 intake manifold seems pretty damn good to me. ive had no problems with mine and wont be swapping it out anytime soon.

as for not giving it anytime to relearn the fuel trims, this could very easily be done by pulling off the battery terminals (both of them) and shorting them together for like 10 seconds. this should clear the short term fuel trims from the ECU. the long term fuel trims should have no effect on the dyno pull at all.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 16.3 in 1320 and falling...

Friday, April 04, 2008 9:03 AM
my old 2.4 was always quicker than any other ones that had done the 2.3 HO mani swap. i had all the parts but after seeing the results i opted to sell it all

Saturday, April 05, 2008 6:13 PM
Well whatever,I felt a better pull in the top end,and it sounded 10x better than the stock,I did ,however like my n20 setup with the stock mani but for direct port the HO/LO is the way to go

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search