Sway bar--yea or nay? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sway bar--yea or nay?
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 7:00 AM
I've read different opinions in different places, and I'd kind of like to get a collection of opinions all in one place:

'93 Cavalier, dirt track, 1/3 mile high banked. Rules are engine and suspension to stay basically stock. I currently still have the sway bar on. I took the car out on the track for the first time on practice day the other day, seemed like it was pushing a little but not terribly.

So, better to leave the sway bar on or take it off?

Re: Sway bar--yea or nay?
Wednesday, April 09, 2008 11:32 AM
I'de leave it on.... it won't effect handling any but it will at least help a little to reinforce the car when your beating the crap out of it in the dirt.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008 6:19 PM
disconnect the endlinks and see how it does.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:04 PM
I was gonna say lots of drag racers take them off since they are dead weight in a staight away. they make kits for trucks where you can un hook them for greater suspension flex if there is any actual befit and you still drive it on the road this may be a thing to look into.

Thursday, April 10, 2008 6:27 PM
Oh crap... I just realized you said sway bar..... I thought you said strut bar LOL my mistake.......

Ya.... just unbolt the ends and see how it does.... if it works better than just remove it.

The car will probably feel a little more floaty.... but it will probably help keep the car from understeering (pushing) through the corners as much as it does now.

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:59 AM
Thanks guys...I hadn't thought of just disconnecting the ends (duh!!), I was picturing having to take it all the way out and then if it didn't work having to put it all back in. Just disconnecting the ends would be an easy way to try it out without removing it.

Like I said, the push was not bad, but there. I am going to try some different tire combinations which may help, but it will be good to have the sway bar option to try if needed also.
Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:29 AM
One thing to note...... on some cars..... when you just disconnect the ends.... they might want to tap on the suspension or somewhere on the car.... you might need to pull it up or down a little to prevent that.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search