02 eco..best way to launch? 1/4 mile - Page 3 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 02 eco..best way to launch? 1/4 mile
Thursday, April 24, 2008 7:15 PM
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=778135&highlight=timeslips

i dont know how else to prove to you these cars are capable. check this thread on my mustang forum. look at the first poster's sig...."86 5.0 LX Coupe - stock 93 longblock, speed density, bolt-ons, and ice cold a/c
12.96 @ 100.69, 1.75 60 ft
Best 60ft: 1.67 " thats with speeddensity. not mass air. stock longblock. meaning stock block pistons rods crank heads and cam.....

Thursday, April 24, 2008 8:31 PM
relax and cut your mullets guys.... WS6 ftw...lol

hmmm... best way to launch 02 eco? 1/4 mile

just practice....

I personally learned and have found success using a slipping method as opposed to the find the rpm and drop it method. I know it’s extremely hard on a clutch but that just how I do it. I have made @!#$ tons of passes and just started to find the perfect balance between slipping and tires spinning. I managed a 2.08 on all seasons (w/boost). Just know your car and know your tires.

im not claiming to be an expert.. just throwin out what i know.

Thursday, April 24, 2008 10:28 PM
I have found the best way is to mash the throttle then slip the clutch. The goal is the get the power to the ground ASAP. But if youre toying with 2 pedals at the same time, its hard to find consistency. Yes, this method is harder on the clutch, but its the best I know of... 1.61 60 foot in a FWD street car isn't too shabby

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Friday, April 25, 2008 3:20 PM
ha ford guys they always like to cry about things lol

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Friday, April 25, 2008 7:30 PM
born and raised chevy... also have a cavalier.... fathger has a 69 SS chevelle anbd my mother has a 03 vette. so im not technically a ford guy. im a car guy so thanks.
Saturday, April 26, 2008 5:56 AM
Here's a question... lets say your car has some wheel hop issues that you haven't fixed yet and still want to run it anyway..
Are you better off to spin just enough to keep them from hopping, try not to spin, or just let them hop? I know that's an issue with a few of us.

For me... I've always just spun them a little more (just past hopping) which seems to yield the best times.... but all that will be fixed before it's ever ran again.

Oh and Mr. Mustang... you can calm down now... your feathers are ruffled enough. I know how fast those cars are.

Sorry guys... I just couldn't help it.

Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:30 AM

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:52 AM
my car doesnt have wheel hop. and my feathers arent ruffled. you seem to be the one with ruffled feathers. since you did say.... j.mccormick pissed me off with that statement

and if you talking about wheel hop on a mustang. get a set of upper and lower solid control arms. that will fix it instantly
Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:26 AM
NO... I'm talking about wheel hop on a J-body. (and I know how to fix it)

and Justin.... no biggie.... It's just that you couldn't help but to basically say that J-bodies don't belong on a drag strip on a J-body site and I couldn't help but to mess with ya a little for it.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 11:01 AM
Wheel hopping is murder on axles, among other things. Im not sure exactly how to fix it, but if you can either wheel hop or spin all day... I'd rather spin all day.

Sunday, April 27, 2008 7:24 PM
i would also spin all day over wheel hop. i heard solid motor mounts and a strut tower brace fixes that in a jiffy.

one of my friends has an SRT4 running 11.0's superfast car. he had problems with wheel hop.. put solid motor mounts on it and a DC strut tower brace. i think he also put poly urathane bushings and it curred it.

Monday, April 28, 2008 7:04 AM
jmccormick wrote:i would also spin all day over wheel hop. i heard solid motor mounts and a strut tower brace fixes that in a jiffy.

one of my friends has an SRT4 running 11.0's superfast car. he had problems with wheel hop.. put solid motor mounts on it and a DC strut tower brace. i think he also put poly urathane bushings and it curred it.

I don't know about that. I have solid mounts, but not strut bar and I was wheel hopping yesterday worse than I ever have before. I tried everything to cure it and cut a good time, but nothing worked.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:16 AM
^^ What tires are you running? All the chassis stiffening in the world isn't going to make up for cheap rubber on the ground. I'm only asking because i see the sig pic with stock wheels and thus I tend to presume stock tires as well.

Here's what helped me as far as wheel hop goes-

Focus any weight reduction on the REAR of the car only (I define rear as anything behind the driver seat- taking out weight from in front of this point only helps the leverage the torque of the engine transmits to the tires, which act as a fulcrum to press the rear end down, ultimately lifting the front and changing your camber angle).
Polyurethane motor/trans mounts all around
POLY CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS!! Probably the biggest difference maker of all as these control fore and aft deflection of the control arm which can change your toe and result in wheel hop. Once they rebound this becomes worse.
Lighter flywheel (less mass on initial engagement = less shock to the drivetrain
Drag Radials or damn good performance rated tires.
Shock/springs will help also, but this is where things start to get really pricey.

Then there's also just your launch technique. Coming off the clutch too soft and onto the throttle too hard is what I find generally results in wheel hop. If you come off the clutch fast and get on the gas fast, you're more likely to spin instead of hop. If you put the gas on too slow you stall or bog. Best to find the middle ground, which is the "perfect" launch. Its all a balancing act between left and right foot, and you want to keep the tires just on the ragged edge of spinning as you leave the line. Only way to find this point is seat time, plain and simple. My 60' times are ok, considering they were on stock tires with almost 260 ft-lbs of torque to the wheels, but compared to what they were when I started, and what I see from a lot of people here, they're pretty damn good. And the only way they got that good was from showing up to the track twice a week for about 8 months and practicing, trying new methods and techniques. Too many people keep doing the same damn thing off the line, somehow expecting a different result. If you bog, try more gas or getting off the clutch a little quicker. If you spin, try a little less gas or a little less clutch. Mix it up, try different things. Some people get great 60' times launching one way, but when others try and duplicate that method, it just doesn't work for their particular setup.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Wednesday, April 30, 2008 7:53 AM
Matt (Ihavenolife) doesn't have stock tires.... and I was there when he installed is lightweight flywheel... so he's good on those parts..... I'm surprised that he still has wheel hop.... I good suspension with a higher spring rate and more rebound will probably help a bit.

As for me... my wheel hop showed up when I put my Potenzas on it.... too much traction for all the stock mounts and suspension... and more than enough power to upset everything. When a getrag goes in it.... the mounts will be upgraded.

btw... a strut bar doesn't effect wheel hop at all.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:41 AM
Who said I don't have stock tires?

I have crappy Kumho Ecsta AST's, them tires in my opinion are junk.

When I was at the track last fall I almost never got wheel hop, but that was before the flywheel/clutch and full exhaust. So I wonder if that has to do with it. I was running the same PSI and launching the car the same way, but I just couldn't get a hold of it as well as I wanted to. Next thing I plan on doing is getting a good suspension underneath it to help out.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search