Not enough RPM's - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not enough RPM's
Sunday, April 20, 2008 6:03 AM
I race a 94' cavalier on a 1/4 mile asphault track. This car has an automatic transmission. I am running 195/70/14. All tires must be the same size. When coming off the turns everybody else's car has gettup' n go and leave me in the dust. One problem is I am not running enough RPMs. I run about 2,000 running in second. What is a way I can fix this to get more RPMs???

Re: Not enough RPM's
Sunday, April 20, 2008 9:57 AM
Keep it down in low gear

1997 Sunfire SE

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:36 AM
put on a smaller diameter tire on all 4 corners

Monday, April 21, 2008 8:19 PM
u mean when u put the shifter in 2nd it tops at 2000 rpm?
Monday, April 21, 2008 10:38 PM
We run an auto on dirt we run 205/70/14 in low gear. Definitly try low gear and bigger tires.
Saturday, April 26, 2008 11:20 AM
Not sure of your class rules, but also, the TH125 transmission DOES have a multitude of different axle ratios you can use. If you search around in the transmission forum I'm pretty sure you can find the part numbers for the parts you'd need, then just run all the info through one of the many online gearing calculators and you'll be able to see what speed you're at, at what rpm and use that to figure out what axle ratio and tire combination to use.

Of course, thats the complicated solution. Try bigger tires in low gear first like suggested, and if you still need more, look into changing the ring and transfer gears to change the axle ratio.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search