1/4 Circle Track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1/4 Circle Track
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 7:43 PM
I race a 94' Cavalier and for some reason I am the slowest in my class. I have shaved the head, did the 350 rocker arm conversion and had the head ported. The only thing I can think of that would be different from theirs is the fact that theirs is a manual where mine is the auto. I know the car is running correctly so I dont know whats wrong. Anyways at the race this weekend, I decided to run it in 1st instead of 2nd. In 2nd I hit about 3800 RPM.... In 1st, I run 6200 RPM and will blow a front seal out of the transmission... I dont know if that was because of pressure or just that its a 14 year old car... I was wondering if I did more performance mods, If I would run more RPM's or just have more speed at that RPM range?????? I dont know what that car limits at in 1st or 2nd. I never hit the limiter even at 6200 RPM. It does limit at 4000 in park so I know it has a limiter.... Also if anyone has any tips so I wont be in last everytime please let me know. Entire car is supposed to remain stock.... Also I have went through a broad range of tire sizes and 195 or 185 seems to work best so I will more than likely stick with that size.... Thanks in advance for all answers

Re: 1/4 Circle Track
Tuesday, May 13, 2008 8:11 PM
You can get more gear in the TH125C/3T40. The info is in here. Search your local salvage yards for a 3.33:1 differential. As for a TC, i wouldn't worry about that on an oval track, unless you have to start from a standing start. I doubt your car shifts gears much once your rolling, so I wouldn't worry about the clutches, bands nor steels.

I am in the process of doing some research on the '98+ 2200 cam. It looks promising for N/A use and circle track use. Stock, it seems to give a little more torque and horsepower across the board. Nothing major, but a gain all the way across, mind you! Some of the cam manufacturers lobe profiles look awfully promising also. I'm currently trying to get set up to take some measurements on both the '93-'97 2.2L cam and the '98+ 2200 cam to verify some information I'm working with. This won't stop you from trying the 2200 cam if you want though.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search