tech inspection - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tech inspection
Thursday, June 05, 2008 4:41 PM
I am wondering what most 1/4 mile tracks have for a tech inspection...I know they require a battery tie town...I am wondering if the tie down has to go over the top of the battery or what...I have a 2000 cavalier and they have that tie down on the lower part of the battery that fastens down on the tab on the battery...wondering if the stock tie down is enough to pass most tech inspections...any help would be great...I am planning on going to a track in 2 weeks and they don't have a number to the track that I can call so I am trying to figure out what everyone else is experiencing so I have an idea if I need to do anything to get my car ready...any help would be appreciated.

Re: tech inspection
Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:46 PM
I'm currently using an old ratchet strap as a tie down. Take one with you, and if stock isn't good enough, throw it on.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:55 PM
my track inspection consisted of:
"It's pretty much stock?"
"Yep."
"Ok, don't break it."
"I'll try not to."

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:36 PM
mine consist of,
"a cavalier?"
"yep"
"ok go ahead"

and mind you this is with the boost lol.

Thursday, June 05, 2008 9:43 PM
mine was

"how fast u runnin?"
"13's"
"this runs 13's"
"yeah 13 minutes"
"cool go ahead"

Friday, June 06, 2008 7:37 AM
your factory battery tie down is sufficient to pass tech.

my brother ran a 96 Cavalier in Indianapolis at the Division 3 bracket Finals in the highschool class like that and it was fine. so i cannot see your track being pickier than that

Friday, June 06, 2008 8:07 AM
they only get picky with batteries when they are either

a) not tied down at all
b) in the trunk. if its relocated it has to either have a vent or be a dry cell, tied down and in a battery box, and have a kill switch. may still have to vent dry cell, but i dont think so.

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Friday, June 06, 2008 8:24 AM
unless you're running 11s they won't really care.

if your car is stock (ie. no forced induction) they won't bother you

Friday, June 06, 2008 12:12 PM
Mine Is

"its just Ben, pffft"

-but i run there every weekend
-Ben
Saturday, June 07, 2008 6:50 AM
The track I visit is a bit stricter, they check your battery, anything loose under the hood, the tires to make sure you aren't showing any belts, your seat and seat belt, window to make sure it stays up, and that is if they are in a hurry, I have seen them tear into some cars before, but in general the faster you look at my track the more detailed they are. Best of luck and happy late birthday (profile said it was june 4)

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:23 AM
what track you race at?
and the one i go to is "fill out tech card, get a tech sticker for the month"

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:29 AM
Memphis motorsports park, it dont bother me to go through it. Haven't been since last year, hope to be going soon.

Saturday, June 07, 2008 7:30 AM
All depends on the track.

Knowing that you drive a cavalier and that you probably won't be even remotely as fast as some of the other cars, the tech is normally pretty easy.

Open the hood:
1) battery isn't loose
2) if you have nitrous, they will check your connections.
3) if you have boost, they will take a look at it.

The car:
4) windshield isn't cracked
5) car isn't leaking any fluids
6) tires are good
7) you have all your lugnuts
8) you have seatbelts

Besides that, when you start running 13's or so is when they start requiring helmets and other things. But basically for our cars its just a general "looks good cuz you're too slow" lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Monday, June 09, 2008 4:56 AM
I've taken the cavs 2 two tracks and been to many more and normally they let you by with out even looking if you appear slow. Last year I took the s-10 out and keep in mind it's built sbc with dp nitrous kit on slicks all they asked was do you have a driveshaft saftey loop? basically it all depends on the track..... Where do you plan on going?

Monday, June 09, 2008 3:18 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote: they don't have a number to the track that I can call.

oh really??

whats this then?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:10 AM
At the track I race at they always check my cars for a neutral safety switch to make sure it wont start unless the clutch is pressed in. Also if you have hubcaps they want you to remove them. And as mentioned your stock battery tie is fine. Oh ya and wear pants not shorts. I went to race one time and i showed up in shorts like an idiot. lol I had to go to wal-mart up the street and buy a pair of long pants so i could race.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 10:48 AM
pants? are you kidding me? your not racing a bike for petes sake...

1997 Cavalier Z24 - 15.647 @ 88.02 MPH
Tuesday, June 10, 2008 11:15 AM
we all know pants keep you protected if you crash your car.... at our track (San Antonio raceway) you can go in shorts and flip flops. tech consist of:

fill out the card please,
okay, let me get my wallet for my DL number.....
thats not needed, just your name is fine,
okay, am i good to go....
yep all 4 tires are there, and you have a windshield,

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:38 PM
The People at the track actually told me I could not race if I had shorts on. That is why i had to go get pants. im sure every place is a little diffrent i was just saying it might not be a bad idea

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 1:51 PM
Firebird international Raceway in PHX is like that no pants equal no race....Speedworld in Surprise Arizona....they couldn't care less. I had on shorts and a wife beater last time if memory serves correct....lol...But Speedworld Gets better cars IMO!!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:09 PM
I have also heard of the pants rule, but cannot confirm it. After driving 1.5 hours each way to the track in traffic, wearing a pair of pants isn't going to hurt me, whether its required or not.

- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:10 AM
if you read the NHRA/IHRA rule book it does say pants are required and shoes that cover your toes.

when i race at Grand Bend Motorplex they will not let you wear shorts, when i went to Toronto Motorsports Park i wore pants aswell just because i know the rule. St. thomas Dragway here will let STREET class cars run shorts but if your 13.99 or quicker pants are manditory

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:06 PM
believe me the NHRA/IHRA arent stupid. there is a reason they want you to wear pants. if your car catches fire its going to take longer for it to burn through the pants than just your flesh. same for closed toed shoes. that and they dont want you getting a flip flop caught in the pedals and causing a problem. they have the rules for your safety. when i race, i have only ran a fastest of 13.7 but i still wear a nomex hood under the helmet. do i have to? nope. if my car catches fire will it protect my face more than just the helmet? yep. its all about how safe you want to be.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 3:28 PM
at my track you need to have pants, shoes, and a short sleeve t-shirt

Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:35 AM
^^ unless your 11.50 or faster then you needa SFI Fire jacket on hot days i wear shorts just throw on my fire pants for the run take them back off when i get back.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search