US 131 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
US 131
Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:14 PM
My buddy and I want to go to the strip this year at US 131 to try out our cars to see what they can run. I was wondering what I can expect out of a 2000 Sedan 2200/3spd auto. My mods for engine are just K&N Filter with Complete Air Box Mod. I've got new plugs/wires. It runs great. I plan to take my spare and jack out and anything i do not need, audio, etc. My buddy has a 2001? Dodge Neon with a 2.0 4spd. No mods to engine at all, all stock everything. What can I expect on times/rough speed estimates. Will I be able to take him on in the quarter?

2000 Cavalier Sedan.

Re: US 131
Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:20 PM
Oh, i'm on stock 14 steelies with Replacement Stock Tires. He is on 16"s with tires with maybe 60% tread.

2000 Cavalier Sedan.
Monday, June 30, 2008 7:47 AM
bein a 2200, i'd just stay at home and not worry about racin it. true story.
high 16's maybe for you. he'll take you.

Monday, June 30, 2008 8:24 AM
great. I was just going to go out to have a good time anyways, watch some other guys run too.
Even if I am to get my Motor Mounts, well just a muffler and possibly dropping air pressure in the front, would this even help me?

2000 Cavalier Sedan.
Monday, June 30, 2008 11:29 AM
It all will help you, or it wouldn't be for sale. heh. I don't know how much a motor mount would cut an ET down, I've heard conflicting arguements on that, my guess is you might pick up a tenth if you're lucky, or had a really bad motor mount to begin with. If you get good a good exhaust system going, and if you drop your air pressure in the front to like 25psi (my brother did that on his Jetta for kicks just to try launches, it does help a bit, but you better have decent tires, junk yard rats can and WILL break a cord, and you'll end up riding on egg-like tires), it WILL help, just not too much. That neon will still probably take you down. But racing's called racing, not winning, for a reason. I might head down to 131 this year if I can. Do they let 16-year-olds in on test-n-tune sessions or brackets or anything?

-Trav

I'll save the world in a minute, now let me finish my Whopper.
Monday, June 30, 2008 7:12 PM
ah dang, either way i get beat. But as I know, a 2200 isn't anything for speed haha. I won't even waste my time probably. I'm not sure about rules over there on that strip, I'm only 17, but i went to bike races a few years ago there. And a 12 year old was racing. I will probably go over one day this summer for the Nitro Drags, but i will not be competing in the Test and tunes now.

2000 Cavalier Sedan.
Monday, June 30, 2008 8:07 PM
I had free tickets to the Summer Drags, but those got rained out. Thanks to good 'ol Michigan weather, even my free tickets suck. lol.

-Trav

Tuesday, July 01, 2008 4:35 AM
I raced against my friend's Neon 3-speed, he ran 18.5.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 7:18 AM
lolll, i will find out more about his car then. I am pretty sure it is a 4 speed, with the 2.0

2000 Cavalier Sedan.
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 8:29 AM
guess i was wrong, it IS a 3 speed but has the 2.0 still. Possible chance of me taking him then, he thinks not But if your friend ran a 18.5! I am pretty sure i could take him then. Might just have to wait and see.

Oh and he claims he has gotten it to go 120+ on the highway

2000 Cavalier Sedan.
Tuesday, July 01, 2008 9:10 PM
Driver vs. driver, not car vs. car. To my knowledge a Stock 2.2L J and a 2.0 Neon would be pretty close in power to weight ratio, not sure on torque specs of a 2.0. But the deciding factor will be your launch, I'd bet. The guy that ran an 18.5 might have just sucked at life, you never know. :\

-Trav

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search