Shift Speeds - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Shift Speeds
Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:36 PM
I just got my 97 5-Speed yesterday and since it doesnt have a tach, I was wondering about what speeds is the 2nd and 3rd gear redline at, 4th also but im mostly worried about 2 and 3. I kinda think i could hit 60 in 2nd but not too sure. I found out the rev limiter bounces at approx. 33-34mph in 1st gear. Thanks!

Keith

Re: Shift Speeds
Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:47 PM
They all redline at the same RPM. Go swap in a cluster before you spin a bearing.

Monday, July 28, 2008 2:53 PM
I know the redlines the same I was just wondering what mph are the redlines at. I was plannin on swapping clusters, if my car came with no tach then would it have to be wired up or do I just have to plug in the cluster with a tach and it will work?

Keith
Monday, July 28, 2008 6:05 PM
Swapping clusters are plug and play. There are ALOT of threads on the topic.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 1:20 PM
You should be able to tell where to shift anyways, theres no need to rev it beyond where the power drops off, unless u need a lil more to drop it in the sweet spot in the next gear but for the most part, dont ride out the revvs just to go as high as you can.

My first truck, didnt have a tach, and I never needed one, even when pushing it...

But if your worried, swap your cluster, or buy an aftermarket tach (generally unatractive) but functional...

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:47 PM
cool I kinda thought it was plug and play, just wanted to make sure.

well I have a good idea when to shift I guess I just like to know where my rpm's are at.
Im not a big fan of aftermarket tachs so ill go with the cluster swap, thanks for the info...

Keith
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search