When are my DR's hot enough? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
When are my DR's hot enough?
Monday, August 04, 2008 1:35 PM
I have a set of 245/50/16 Nitto NT555R's and I keep reading online that you really have to heat them up before you run, some people say it may take up to a 10 second burnout. Well my question is, when do I know they are ready (hot enough)? Is there any way to know besides just testing them on the track?

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Re: When are my DR's hot enough?
Monday, August 04, 2008 4:29 PM
Well by the smoke, and feel. Also trying them out. I have had them get nice and hot and they start bogging down the motor. Also do second gear burnouts.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:00 PM
John Higgins wrote:Well by the smoke, and feel. Also trying them out. I have had them get nice and hot and they start bogging down the motor. Also do second gear burnouts.

By the smoke do you mean there is a increase/decrease in smoke? Also, I have an automatic so I can't do 2nd gear burnouts.

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:17 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
John Higgins wrote:Well by the smoke, and feel. Also trying them out. I have had them get nice and hot and they start bogging down the motor. Also do second gear burnouts.

By the smoke do you mean there is a increase/decrease in smoke? Also, I have an automatic so I can't do 2nd gear burnouts.

Sorry did nto realize you were a auto. truly you will have a hard time getting a good burnout with a auto (unless you have big power). My experience is because of how the auto's put down power whatever kind of burnout you can get should be enough. Yes more smoke they are getting nice and hot.

FU Tuning

Monday, August 04, 2008 5:42 PM
i have an auto camaro and i can do burnouts. a lineloc might help you with that

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, August 04, 2008 6:00 PM
Lol... autos can burnout... that's not his problem. It's that he doesn't know when to stop.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Monday, August 04, 2008 6:00 PM
99redz24 wrote:i have an auto camaro and i can do burnouts. a lineloc might help you with that

thats a diff between front wheel and rear wheel auto.

Monday, August 04, 2008 6:10 PM
I can do a burnout just fine with my auto, atleast with street tires at the track that is. E-brake bitches!!

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:56 AM
so click it into first, then when its near redline drop it into second. My buddy in his turbo second gen does just that

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:10 AM
i need some practice at this also, what are some tips for heating them up with a manual FWD

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:09 PM
[ion wrote: C2]Lol... autos can burnout... that's not his problem. It's that he doesn't know when to stop.

Again it is my experience that auto J-body's (unless they are making big power) do not do burnout's well.

In a 5 speed J you can start in 2 second gear and rev it up dump the clutch and float the front end in the water box. You need plenty of water if you are using DR's or it will bog down.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, August 05, 2008 4:50 PM
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:
99redz24 wrote:i have an auto camaro and i can do burnouts. a lineloc might help you with that

auto FWD can still do burn outs.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:28 AM
QBE(Qwibby Soon to be Boosted) wrote:so click it into first, then when its near redline drop it into second. My buddy in his turbo second gen does just that

Is his transmission electronically controlled though? I don't even think my car would shift into 2nd during a burnout, just because you put it in 2nd doesn't mean it's going to upshift into 2nd gear. It may as I've never tried, but I doubt it.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 2:49 PM
99redz24 wrote:
s1lver_N1p (S-m62) wrote:

auto FWD can still do burn outs.

sure they can but comparing a freaking V8 z28 camaro that is EASY AS HELL to do a burnout in to a cavalier auto is like comparing night to day. without some decent power the auto cav aint the easiest thing in the world to get the tires rolling.

personally, i dont feel one can be told how to get your tires to hook, its a guess and test at the track, you need to find out what works best for YOU, not someone else.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 3:08 PM
when i had DRs on my cav i still did burnouts. it wasnt much of one, but i stll did it

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:14 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:
QBE(Qwibby Soon to be Boosted) wrote:so click it into first, then when its near redline drop it into second. My buddy in his turbo second gen does just that

Is his transmission electronically controlled though? I don't even think my car would shift into 2nd during a burnout, just because you put it in 2nd doesn't mean it's going to upshift into 2nd gear. It may as I've never tried, but I doubt it.

It will shift into second gear, but unless you have nice power (boost), it will start to bog down once it clicks into second gear.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 4:28 PM
i had slicks on a 3.1 auto 2nd gen it woul do burnouts right through 3rd gear i dunno what you guys are talking about

i have nitto 555r on my 2000 sunfire. when i start to see smoke on both sides i let off the ebrake and smoke em to the line.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 6:59 PM
Yeah I was looking at a few videos on youtube of mostly camaros and mustangs using these tires would do just like you do VIPERREDZED and they would do their burnout and when it starting really smoking they let off the brake and smoked them to the line.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:12 PM
VIPERREDZED wrote:i had slicks on a 3.1 auto 2nd gen it woul do burnouts right through 3rd gear i dunno what you guys are talking about

i have nitto 555r on my 2000 sunfire. when i start to see smoke on both sides i let off the ebrake and smoke em to the line.

I was not speaking on 2 gens with V6's, but 3 gens with 4 cylinders.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 7:29 PM
VIPERREDZED wrote:i had slicks on a 3.1 auto 2nd gen it woul do burnouts right through 3rd gear i dunno what you guys are talking about

VIPERREDZED's registry wrote:Transmission: Manual

well, yeah... i would ope you could get them rolling with a stick shift.

unfortunately.. we are talking about automatics.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:41 PM
z yaaaa wrote:

VIPERREDZED's registry wrote:Transmission: Manual

well, yeah... i would ope you could get them rolling with a stick shift.

unfortunately.. we are talking about automatics.

I don't see why I couldn't do that with an automatic.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:28 PM
Guys my old car along time ago was a 1996 Z24 auto. put the parking brake on roll through the water and it would smoke both tires as long as i felt like it.............

you will be fine

Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:37 PM
So..Bump for answer.

Buy My Crap.
Random Stuff:http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6590
[WTB]http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7348
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search