Help picking out drag wheels... - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help picking out drag wheels...
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 11:45 AM
Ok I'm having a hard time finding some decently light wheels to mount my drag radials on. I have the NWF brake swap so I need a 5x115 16" wheel and my radials require a 7-8" wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I found a set of CTS 16x7 wheels locally that weigh around 17-18lbs each. Does anyone know of any wheels lighter than that? Is 18lbs for drag wheels a lot? Here is a picture of them for reference.

Any help is appericated

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!

Re: Help picking out drag wheels...
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:39 PM
You could always look into getting a set of Koenig Lightweights, or find some steelies that meet the size and bolt pattern requirements...

==============================================================

Yes, noob, the search button is for you...

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:21 PM
That is kinda heavy to use for drag wheels, I would have tried to go with something smaller than 16" though. Maybe try to look for the wheels/steelies off of a w-body police package car like an impala or something. I believe they are 16" and prolly not too heavy, though it'll be hard to find a light 16" stock wheel.

Or you could go aftermarket and spend alot more money lol.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:35 PM
im using 17 pound rims for drag racing

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 2:39 PM
well, considering my street rims weigh 14 lbs each and they are 17's... no those arent light weight. not even light compared to a stock z or lss wheel. about the same actually.

if you want LIGHT wheels, look up something in forged. thats going to be your best bet, expensive but light.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:32 PM
16" Rota Slipstreams weigh about 13.5 lbs. and they're cheap.

I feel stupid asking this but, what does NWF stand for?

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 3:35 PM
N/W/F-body

Do they make rotas in that bolt pattern?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 6:26 PM
I do not want to spend the money for forged wheels, no way. I'm not about to drop that much cash for some drag wheels that will be used maybe 3 days a year. I'm just not that serious with it. I do like the slipstreams but like I said I just don't want to drop $300 on drag wheels at this time. I'm going to look into the Impala police steelies but I can't find one at a yard around here. There are plenty of Impala's but they are just normal cars with the 6.5" wide wheel.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:24 PM
JoeyDaBomb wrote:I do not want to spend the money for forged wheels, no way. I'm not about to drop that much cash for some drag wheels that will be used maybe 3 days a year. I'm just not that serious with it. I do like the slipstreams but like I said I just don't want to drop $300 on drag wheels at this time. I'm going to look into the Impala police steelies but I can't find one at a yard around here. There are plenty of Impala's but they are just normal cars with the 6.5" wide wheel.

well if your not going to use them very often id just find a set of steelies that would fit your requirments and run those. that is the cheapest most effective way to go about it.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:57 AM
Why do you need any of that anyway if you're just running them 3 times a year? Get a set of street wheels you can live with everyday and just run street tires at the track.
DRs and slicks are for when you get serious about racing. Spend the money on something else.

Thursday, August 14, 2008 1:56 PM
I never really understood why people mount drag tires on heavy steelies, using a tire that helps your first 60 feet with a heavy rim that hurts your time the 1,260 feet after that.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search