9.41 second quarter mile from a cobolt!? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
9.41 second quarter mile from a cobolt!?
Monday, September 08, 2008 10:42 AM
Hey guys, wonder if you know who this is? That is one fast J. This was at MIR, Maryland international raceway, yesterday, sunday. They had a lot of fast cars there this weekend. but, 9.41 from a 4 cylinder J?! that's just FAST!!

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/galleries/1118612734/MIR%20Import%20Drag%20Racing%20Sept%202008/album/slides/MVI_7626.html

Re: 9.41 second quarter mile from a cobolt!?
Monday, September 08, 2008 10:44 AM
that was a quarter mile?

Monday, September 08, 2008 11:29 AM
Cobalt <> J-body, but very impressive all the same.

15.3 @ 89.97mph - '01 SFGT
'98 Acura 1.6EL Sport 5M Y7/Y8 mini me
Monday, September 08, 2008 11:39 AM
thats a delta not a j

Monday, September 08, 2008 11:39 AM
Well, yah, but it has the same ecotec engine in it as the older cavalier. Tru it's not a J-body.

And yes, that was a quarter mile.

Monday, September 08, 2008 11:43 AM
OLDER cavs dont have ecotecs.... unless you consider late 2002 old

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:17 PM
look at the trap speed... 150+ mph why would you doubt its a 1/4 mile?

edit - typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 08, 2008 6:16 PM

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:14 PM
auto trans, big turbo, 1/4 drag....good combo

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:26 PM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:OLDER cavs dont have ecotecs.... unless you consider late 2002 old

its not exactly new either! lol

low 9s high 8s are equal to around 150 mph in the 1/4 mile

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:55 PM

i took this vid when i was working at lucas oil nats at BIR about a month ago. best job ever.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:22 PM
Well considering good ole Adam Hahn is pretty well close to 10's in practically a stock eco sunfire (major mod being destroking to 2.0l) and considering at that speed usually auto's will always be faster and more consistant than manuals I do believe it...

Gotta have some big @!#$ cams in it...it sounded like it was just idling around 2 grand. haha

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:37 PM
hahns car is not nearly stock haha, no car on the brink of 10's is nearly stock

All show, coming soon ---> GO
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:43 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Well considering good ole Adam Hahn is pretty well close to 10's in practically a stock eco sunfire (major mod being destroking to 2.0l) and considering at that speed usually auto's will always be faster and more consistant than manuals I do believe it...

Gotta have some big @!#$ cams in it...it sounded like it was just idling around 2 grand. haha

yea.. cage, stand alone computer, completely redone fuel system, a $10,000 bottom end, custom fabricated exhaust and intake manifolds, huge injectors, distributor conversion, skinnies, slicks... yup pretty much stock

adam's done a lot to get his car that fast don't denounce the guy by saying its practically stock. Its far from stock. Hahn busted their asses on that car and did a LOT of work to it.

but its no surprise that a big sponsor with a capable platform (the mobile 1 cobalt) is running in the 9s. I've seen a few cobalts running in that area. Whitfield with the ecorage car, an orange cobalt, and this one.

the eco rage car is probably the hottest eco drag car ever.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:12 AM
color me lost but how do you spend $10,000 on an eco bottom end? unless the destroking cost 8000? i dont see what the big cost is.

i could see it with labor costs but ill bet you bill built the engine.

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:44 AM
z yaaaa wrote:color me lost but how do you spend $10,000 on an eco bottom end? unless the destroking cost 8000? i dont see what the big cost is.

You use a lot of 1-off experimental parts, and engine builders who charge a lot because they are worth it would be my guess.

15.3 @ 89.97mph - '01 SFGT
'98 Acura 1.6EL Sport 5M Y7/Y8 mini me
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:43 AM
billet crank 2.0
billet crankshaft - $3,614.00

billet rods
billet rods - $1,194.86

GM full race pistons
race pistons (H11 tool steel) - $408.80

so I overexaggerated a little. $5217.66 for the rotating assembly.

I don't think they had the block sleeved but I could be wrong. I'm 90% sure when i talked to bill and adam at the TVR shootout in 2007 this was the components they used.

Ian Brydon wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:
color me lost but how do you spend $10,000 on an eco bottom end? unless the destroking cost 8000? i dont see what the big cost is.

You use a lot of 1-off experimental parts, and engine builders who charge a lot because they are worth it would be my guess.

these parts are off-the-shelf. they're just mad expensive to buy. I'm sure hahn didn't pay any labor because building an engine I'm sure is well within their capabilities.

but you still need to buy the parts to put them together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:50 AM

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:37 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Well considering good ole Adam Hahn is pretty well close to 10's in practically a stock eco sunfire (major mod being destroking to 2.0l) and considering at that speed usually auto's will always be faster and more consistant than manuals I do believe it...

What Alex is trying to say is that the setup on our sunfire is FAR from radical like the Mobil 1 Cobalt. Put some street wheels on our car and call up the insurance company and the car could be driven on the street. Hell, the license plate was legal until just this past June. We still have stock seats, stock carpet, stock dash, stock suspension (Eibach Sportlines... hardly RACE oriented lol) windshield wipers, a COMPLETELY stock trans save for a clutch, a stock ported head and so on. Not to mention that Cobalt is GM backed... The things PJ mentioned we have done may "seem" radical but they are merely things that NEED to be done. The cage isn't radical, its just needed for 135 MPH. The distributor was a breeze with the DFI same with the fuel system we use the stock fuel rail even and big injectors just come along with that. A little bit of experience and A LOTA bit of time = what we have done with the Sunfire. Our whole objective with that car is to be as unradical as possible.

As far as the expensive engine parts and such... Let me put it to you this way... I've put off going to college because I can't afford it... and I'll give you one guess as to why... but I built that engine by myself with my dad kind of 'looking over my shoulder'. This car is pretty much a learning experience for me. I built 2 motors for our old 10 sec Eclipse WITH my dad and I built the 2 motors for the Sunfire's previous iteration WITH my dad. But this one was pretty much on my own which cuts down on cost yes but stress to be sure it works NO lol.

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:09 PM
Adam Hahn wrote:

What Alex is trying to say is that the setup on our sunfire is FAR from radical like the Mobil 1 Cobalt. Put some street wheels on our car and call up the insurance company and the car could be driven on the street. Hell, the license plate was legal until just this past June. We still have stock seats, stock carpet, stock dash, stock suspension (Eibach Sportlines... hardly RACE oriented lol) windshield wipers, a COMPLETELY stock trans save for a clutch, a stock ported head and so on. Not to mention that Cobalt is GM backed... The things PJ mentioned we have done may "seem" radical but they are merely things that NEED to be done. The cage isn't radical, its just needed for 135 MPH. The distributor was a breeze with the DFI same with the fuel system we use the stock fuel rail even and big injectors just come along with that. A little bit of experience and A LOTA bit of time = what we have done with the Sunfire. Our whole objective with that car is to be as unradical as possible.

As far as the expensive engine parts and such... Let me put it to you this way... I've put off going to college because I can't afford it... and I'll give you one guess as to why... but I built that engine by myself with my dad kind of 'looking over my shoulder'. This car is pretty much a learning experience for me. I built 2 motors for our old 10 sec Eclipse WITH my dad and I built the 2 motors for the Sunfire's previous iteration WITH my dad. But this one was pretty much on my own which cuts down on cost yes but stress to be sure it works NO lol.

Exactly adam, your right on the money with what I was trying to say.

Im not saying they haven't practically touched and massaged every single part in the sunfire, the simple fact is that everything they have done to it is very much an "off the shelf" type of deal save for the tuning. And even so its all things that have been done for a very long time. Im not denouncing his work, Im actually in a way praising it... IT speaks volumes to the potential of the L61 and to the potential of the Hahn crew and the kind of knowledge base that they have earned themselves within the industry.

Back to the OP... That cobalt did what Adam could very well do soon enough in the future...the difference? The balt has corporate sponsorship (with mobil 1 no less) and the balt cant and never will be driven home from a track day. (Not that adams sunflower does'nt get trailered everywhere anyway )

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:44 PM
Alex Richards wrote: Im not saying they haven't practically touched and massaged every single part in the sunfire

actually you were saying that....

Alex Richards wrote: in practically a stock eco sunfire (major mod being destroking to 2.0l)

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:04 AM
actually you would be surprised if you saw in person how streetable the Hahn car is, I think they even still have a plate on it!

Im sure once the demons are worked out it will go even faster which reminds me i have the night racing pics from the bash ive yet to post

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, September 11, 2008 6:19 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:actually you would be surprised if you saw in person how streetable the Hahn car is, I think they even still have a plate on it!

Im sure once the demons are worked out it will go even faster which reminds me i have the night racing pics from the bash ive yet to post

Yup, I do believe it expired this past month adam said...

Thats somewhere in this thread I think...

Im still shocked the F23 is holding up...I was not aware that was a bone stock trans...

Im assuming it does have a TTR insert correct?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:10 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:

the eco rage car is probably the hottest eco drag car ever.

Got a picture of this sex?

Saturday, September 13, 2008 11:56 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Im still shocked the F23 is holding up...I was not aware that was a bone stock trans...

I thought they just welded the bastard...but I could be mistaken

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 1:03 PM
Alex Richards wrote:Im still shocked the F23 is holding up...I was not aware that was a bone stock trans...

huh? dont you mean team green insert? and im doubting they have it... my guess would be either quaife or welded...

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008 9:35 PM
900whp, auto trans, 9 second 1/4 mile

VIDEO:EcoRage (whitfield racing)

my personal fav tho is Don Nase Jr.

1600hp, 6 second 1/4 200mph+

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search