2.4twin VS. Ecotec - Page 4 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.4twin VS. Ecotec
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 3:51 AM
Well al I no is that all of the stuff I have on my car now,was when I only brought home $280 a week.Now I make double that,so watch out!

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:22 AM
I would go w/ a compression test before making a decision on what to do next. I've seen eco's hold up fine for a little while w/ boost and high mileage, but ultimately the ringlands in our cars don't like it. They are super thin. Most guys don't push past about 280 or so on stock internals w/o some sort of a problem or at least a backup plan if something happens.

If I were in you position, I would go to the boneyard and pick up a "junk" eco w/ moderate to low mileage on it and depending on your experience either take it to an engine builder and give him all your parts or do it yourself. As to what parts you go with, the eagle/wiseco combo is a popular one. Most guys that go w/ boost end up w/ 8.9:1 cr. I would also invest in a set of ARP head studs during the build. Depending on what power level you are trying to achieve a LSJ (05-07 Cobalt SS/SC) headgasket will suffice. They are slightly cheaper than a cometic mls and will work up to 500whp according to GM.

So there's a start, Wiseco 8.9:1 pistons, Eagle H-Beam Rods, ARP Head Studs, LSJ Headgasket. With those parts you should feel very safe about boosting it. As for what to do about that, well build the motor and we can talk lol.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:54 PM
very good,around how much would that run me?You know your stuff,It shows!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:10 PM
Click the link under my sig and do your homework.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 8:35 PM
Cool I might start saving up,but if I done that wouldn't it be like a new motor?Or would I have to change the crank bearings and other misc bearings to be a full rebuild?Thanks!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:15 PM
pfft.. Skunk doesnt know what he is talking about.. esp. not about Teh Ekotacs.

j/k Listen to this man and you will be at 300 hp before you know it, cash willing of course

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:17 PM

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:32 AM
Sounds good,I got all my bills payed now (urggg.end of the month),but next week the whole check will be all mine,Oh yeah something horible happened last nite I got thru driving my car,and went inside for a while,then went back out side and started it and my check engine light came on!!!!!!!I took of the negative bat cable and put it back on and the check engine light went off,I didnt get to drive it that long to see if it came back on or not,but Im about to go to work so,I will no.How would I check the code?With an obd2 code reader right?

Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:49 AM
Skunk wrote:take it to an engine builder

Not to slam you dude, but engine building isn't for amatuers. Hell if I wasn't so cheap I wouldn't have even done mine. I would seriously take it to a machine shop and let them do their thing. Rod and main bearings can be replaced w/ stock or you could get the clevite bearings.

If you have an advace auto parts close buy they will be able to scan the code for you and tell you what it is.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 3:19 PM
well I just got back from work It didnt come on again thank god.But for some reason when Im driving like half throttle it feels like it is missing,or something,I put bosch platnum 4's in it about 10,000 miles ago,could this be the problem?I heard they foul out easy.Thanks.

Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:24 PM
Hey Cody

if you have any questions you can call or text me 989-798-0518, ill give ya answers to most of what i have done, i will keep a few secrets to myself though

Good Luck
-Ben
Thursday, August 28, 2008 6:51 PM
Thanks man thats cool.I put new plugs in it today and the miss is gone I think,I put autolite platnum 2's in it,Man I love how easy plugs are to change on the ecotec,compared to my 89 gmc with the 5.7 tbi.

Friday, August 29, 2008 8:03 AM
You think factory plugs are easy to change? If you ever do a MSD setup, they get easier. BTW I've always ran NGK plugs in my car, from a SRT-4, but then again, my engine has always had nitrous or boost.

Saturday, September 06, 2008 2:13 AM
finally figured out why the CE light kept coming on.It was the IAT sensor,it was only $12.00 to fix it.So thats taken care of.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:20 AM
Cody Farrington wrote:Oh I got mixed up here,when pj compared times I thought he was comparing my times and bigs times,and even if pj is comparing my times with his times then how is calling my car slow when his mod list is ENDLESS!And claims to be the "fastest N/A cavalier ever"I dont think my car is the fastest cavalier straight from the factory,cause all I got is just minor bolt ons,I havent opened up the motor now pj has opened up his motor a countless amount of times and has had his car WAY longer than me,its like comparing apples to oranges,I mean if he has the fastest n/a cavalier doesnt that mean that he is saying everybodys car on here is slow that is n/a,I mean really everyone says that there is allways gonna be a faster car out there but not the "fastest n/a cavalier.................

Uh, dude, I had less done to my Sunfire, and it would walk you.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:27 AM
You had "less" done????Dude you had pretty much the same engine mods as me minus header...lol,and +your car is gutted,and has full koni suspension?Now think twice about that now,and my trunk was full of detailing stuff,and my work tools,and I had a passenger most the time.What happened to your car I would have loved to race you one of these days.

Friday, September 12, 2008 9:05 AM
Cody Farrington wrote:You had "less" done????Dude you had pretty much the same engine mods as me minus header...lol,and +your car is gutted,and has full koni suspension?Now think twice about that now,and my trunk was full of detailing stuff,and my work tools,and I had a passenger most the time.What happened to your car I would have loved to race you one of these days.

The times listed on my profile were when the car was full interior, stock suspension, stock exhaust. Basically the times were with a short ram, gutted cat and some poly bushings, I never ran it withe the other mods.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search