Comparing gm sc ecotec. - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Comparing gm sc ecotec.
Thursday, November 06, 2008 4:38 PM
Okay here's the question:

After sc'ing your ecotec, and adding light bolt ons (intake, exhaust) with a gm reflash what type of bracket do you guys think the S/C eco would be in?...ex: Would an acura rsx type S be a good match?

Re: Comparing gm sc ecotec.
Saturday, November 08, 2008 3:35 PM
I've ran a couple rsxs that were lightly modded and took them by 2-3 tenths but it also depends on the driver

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Monday, November 10, 2008 11:54 PM
the RSX-S makes A little over 200whp stock so you do the math

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 5:54 PM
Yeah my bud has an rsx-s and he's always making funn of my sunflower

RSX-S= 210HP 140TQ correct? Plus the 6 speed manual, and I think i remember seeing it's a little (tiny bit) lighter then our cars...
Sunfire/cavvy SC'd= 200HP 200TQ correct? How much extra would an intake and full exhaust add up with the boost?

Think it'll be a drivers race? And how much does that extra gear help?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:13 PM
extra gearr would be worth half a secound

a 5 speed cav does a 15.8 with a blower that should minus a secound and a tenth so that would be 14.7

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 6.8 15.4 (C&D) im not sure if thats with the limited slip or not

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm
Wednesday, November 12, 2008 10:32 AM
I went a 14.5 with a eco sc an wai

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:42 PM
So from a dig and assuming both drivers are of equal skill the eco SC should come out on top right?

And what other cars do you guys think are in the same bracket? Are we as fast as the gran prix GTP's? or other stock factory v6's that are out there?
Saturday, November 15, 2008 5:19 PM
I went 14.0 with 3.0 pulley installed along with other bolt ons

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 12:54 PM
Well if it gives you any frame of reference we (redlines) are capable of 14.2's stock, I'm sure you know the info being as we're the same as Cobalts.
There was a Cobalt owner awhile ago claiming 13.9 stock after he studied precise shift points and deployed them on the track, never saw proof just word.
But anyways, a supercharged 2.2 should theoreticallly be around as fast as ss/sc and redlines stock, so with bolt ons, intake exhasut, mainly exhaust, an RSX would be a walk depending on driving skills, especially from a dig, honda torque FTMFL

Lols.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:47 PM
carnivorous mouse wrote:extra gearr would be worth half a secound

how do you figure?
and do you mean slower, or faster?

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:44 AM
Shane Reid wrote: Think it'll be a drivers race? And how much does that extra gear help?

you never make it higher than 4 gear so having the 6th gear isn't goin to account for anything. i'd say the s/c walks the rsx

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:39 PM
I see I see. Very interesting information guys thanks. I JUST got my ecotec sc in the mail today from pace performance. Can't wait to get it installed... you guys are getting me pysced!

PS: Day and s1|ver, did you guys mean rsx-s or just the base model one?
Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:25 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:

how do you figure?
and do you mean slower, or faster?

I beat a SVT focus with a 6 speed by a full second plus.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 7:27 AM

a 5 speed cav does a 15.8 with a blower that should minus a secound and a tenth so that would be 14.7

2003 Acura RSX Type-S 6.8 15.4 (C&D) im not sure if thats with the limited slip or not

http://www.exoticcarsite.com/0-60-quarter-mile-times.htm

second and a tenth? I could do 13 flat?????

Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:05 AM
If you can link up.. and have a perfect Launch you'll catch him top end..

OH and strip your car out completely.. Just down to the driver seat.. just in case..

Monday, December 01, 2008 6:55 PM
or you can just race PJ (DaFlyinSkwirl) and lose anyways lol j/k

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:11 PM
no, rsx type s (2004-2006) made 210hp 2002-2003 made 201. that equals both less than 200 at the wheels. but what does wheels make a difference, none right now. long story short, it would be a close race, but i think the type s would take it still.

Working on obtainting an M-Class license... ?? Hint: 2 wheels.
Monday, December 08, 2008 12:21 PM
Heat soaked in the summer (95+ degrees out type weather) S/C'd ecotec Cobalt SS's were good for 15.2's at the '05 GM Small Car Bash, where my '00 Z24 w/ GMPP supercharger and stock exhaust was running 15.1 on the same day.

Food for thought. I know if I'd lined up against an S/C'd 'balt at the beginning of the day I would have been KILLED, as they got progressively slower as the morning wore on due to heat soak. I started at 15.7 and got all the way down to 15.1 as I learned how to drive (I'm classicaly an autocrosser instead of a straight line driver).

Now, in memory of my red Z, I traded my Camaro for Mr. Pute's Z and am trading some labor to another guy for possession of my old supercharger and throttle body (58mm 2.4 TwinCam throttle body -- bored from the stock 52mm).

Hopefully I can make it back to the drag course and see what I can do with a full exhaust/header

-------------------------------------------------
Sleeper style, they don't see it coming that way.
Monday, December 08, 2008 5:21 PM
SS-J wrote:If you can link up.. and have a perfect Launch you'll catch him top end..

OH and strip your car out completely.. Just down to the driver seat.. just in case..

lmao
the gains you get from doing that are not really worth it unless its a full out drag car

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:47 PM
Ahhh I see i see. So the sc's biggest weakness is the heat soak you say. Besides having a CAI (that helps a bit right?) what easy to install/reliable options would I have to lessen the effects of heat soak?
Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:06 PM
meth injection...

let the car cool down before you run...

I know when I race ss cobalts I always choose the place and take the long way there...

heatsoak takes a good half a second off of them...

Saturday, December 13, 2008 2:27 AM
Shane Reid wrote:Ahhh I see i see. So the sc's biggest weakness is the heat soak you say. Besides having a CAI (that helps a bit right?) what easy to install/reliable options would I have to lessen the effects of heat soak?

If the setup is intercooled and you have a decent heat exchanger up front it should be fine. I also have water/meth injection and I can hotlap and run consistent runs all afternoon on a hot day...

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:29 AM
meh i have all that and the heatsoak still kills me

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:46 AM
Is heat soak just from giving her on the track or could it be from just daily driving? Is my coolant temperature gauge going to be reading higher then it was stock with the SC on in the summer? (didn't notice a difference in the winter)

Let's say i've been driving my car for the past hour or two. Would I have a heatsoaked engine?
Thursday, January 01, 2009 10:14 AM
I get heatsoak when I shut my car off and then restart it a couple min later or the car idles for a while but as long as the car is movin its fine

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search