2200 4spd auto almost 13's - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2200 4spd auto almost 13's
Saturday, November 22, 2008 6:57 PM
MadJack wrote:You've got the JBP Turbo cam, which is a fairly mild grind. Turbo motor typically peak higher than an equivalent duration N/A motor, but not alot. A shorter exhaust duration pulls the peak HP down a bit, but helps spool the turbo quicker. We could build a little more top end and spool a little quicker, but would sacrafice the smoother idle, almost causing a slight lope and sacraficing low end torque. Of course a slight loss of low end probably wouldn't hurt your launches. You would have to raise the rev limiter with a hotter cam, though it sounds like you need to as it is now.

Did they sen a cam card with it? I know it's just a regrind, but what I want to know is it a '96-'97 cam core or a '98+ 2200 core. I could tell with the intake center line and lobe separation angle. It is possible to grind +/- 1* from the lobe centers, as long as the lift isn't too great.

As a minimun, I'd do a spring upgrade, so you can take full advantage of what you have now, without worrying about destroying the motor.
You beat me to it...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:07 PM
yes its a JBO turbo cam. when i got the cam from JBO, there were no cam card. just the basic specs. it came wrapped up in wax like paper ready to go in. this cam can probably work for any year 2.2l cavalier, but i got mines for the year 98 to 2002 (2200). Mev for JBO can probably give you more insight about there cam.

if i ever rebuild again, i will go for something like
intake duration 220 @ 50 lift 498
exhaust duration 212 @ 50 lift 490

that would make a real radical cam, but not a smooth idle.

hopefully after thanksgiving i will be heading to the track. i made some changes with the tuning and up the rev limiter just a bit. also made some minor changes in the spark tables. turbo now spools a bit earlier and the car pulls harder now.
i will see what i can get with the stock head before i swap in the better valves and springs. this might be my last upgrade for this motor until a future rebuild.
Sunday, November 23, 2008 4:22 AM
Wow! a cam like that you are out to really spin that thing! You know you'll need to goto a stand alone to take full advantage of that cam. I forget off hand just how high the maps go on the stock PCM, but I know they won't go that high. You're bottom end is built for that rpm, now the top end needs to be and you'll be set.

I know right now you're lighting up the tires off the line, but when you start using a cam like that, you might want to look into the Z24 differential (3.91:1, as opposed to the 3.63:1) Then a set of DRs or slicks on some lightweight drag wheels...

Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:13 AM
I don't care what the haters say, the 4 door 2.2 could rape most of us here...

That's HOT..

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:09 PM
yep, a cam like that would make a big difference, especially with a standalone to take full advange of the power curve. also imagine making power up to 6500rpms. thats a good gain in power for 2.2l. also might need a vaccum booster and like you said a slight change in differential to take advantage of the torque. the stock pcm stops right around 7000rpms in the VE table, and 6400 in the spark table.....after that tuning is in the dark.
but like you said, if am going to take full advantage of the bottom end i need to work on top, then its on from there....but we'll see

as for Chris.......LOL, i can't help myself laughing as to what you said. on the street, this car does surprise a lot of people, especially the mustang GT, srt-4 or some honda civics.
it looks odd to some people to see a 4 door auto sedan boosted........LOL

in my local area, i get comments like, i've never seen a boosted cavalier before, especial a 4 door sedan, cool man, real nice......
Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:24 PM
I got that a lot (one of the first people to get the charger) back in the day, even had one kid with a Spec-V want to race me and asked to pop the hood. I did, he looked around, pit his hand on my blower , said, "well you gots a header, and a cold air intake, I can take ya. lets race"

The cooling ribs were between his fingers....

Boosted Cavies FTW

(the 4 door things makes it that much hotter!)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:51 PM
I got the weirdest looks back in the day (turbo 2.2L 3 spd sedan FTW). Can't wait to get it back on the road...

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Sunday, December 14, 2008 7:00 PM
LOL, i would imagine. i get that look every now and then. 3 spd auto sedan would seem even more unusual. i can't wait to get back on the track so i can see people jaws drop when the cavey run 13's.
a real sleeper style....LOL
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search