External Battery Disconnect - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
External Battery Disconnect
Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:55 PM
I'm just wondering how many people on here have to run external battery disconnects at the track and how they have them setup? Since I relocated my battery to the trunk the local track won't let me run with out one. I rigged this up today and was looking for some feedback. I want to be able to remove the switch when I'm not at the track. Will it work? C & C welcome.
BTW its not the prettiest thing i ever built but i figure its not too bad for a couple hours in the shop.

I forgot to get a full pic of the rear.
It replaces the drivers side reverse light on a 2000 Sunfire GT rear bumper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 27, 2008 8:57 PM

Re: External Battery Disconnect
Friday, August 01, 2008 7:52 PM
Mines on the passenger side of my rear bumper...although its getting moved when I redo the wiring.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Monday, November 10, 2008 7:48 AM
you could get the panel setup from a CNG cavalier...

07 Cobalt SS/SC
Monday, November 10, 2008 10:22 AM
i thought of that but on my Sunfire that panel is part of the bumper. Its all one piece. Another problem is that the CNG Cavaliers are next to non existent here. It gets too cold in winter and that causes problems with propane so vehicles that run on propane are rather rare.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:20 PM
Z Speed aka FORCED 2 wrote:you could get the panel setup from a CNG cavalier...

if you find one for sale.....let me know, ill buy it.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 1:46 PM
pretty sure external disconnects have to be exposed.. that way if you crash, rescue crews can kill power to the vehicle.. unless you leave the cover plate open when you're running.

you can hook up one that mounts behind the inner taillight or something, and just put the switch in place at the track and take out the inner, then when ur done racing, take the switch out of place and put the inner back. (would work for a cav at least I just saw you had a sunfire)

that way people can't mess with your electrical when you're not at the racetrack.

this is why I opted to go for a very small battery in stock location, to eliminate the need for an external cut off switch. Maybe this would be a better option for you?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 6:53 PM
its removable when i'm not a the track... takes about 5 minutes to take the reverse light out and have the disconnect in and working.

Friday, November 14, 2008 3:59 PM
^^nice, simple, clean. those are the best mods, good job

Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:23 PM
thanks man

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:56 AM
im tryin to find a conclusion to this as well and that was my idea with the CNG panel. My other thought was a slim battery from braille and install it in the passanger fender where the computer would be like fetter did. hard thing is finding a battery that packs a punch for the cold start ups and daily driving. thats the only battery ive found to do the job so far.

07 Cobalt SS/SC
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:12 AM
I'm going to be running a smaller batter moved forward. No need for switch and it keeps weight over the front tires where I need it.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 7:35 PM
Z Speed aka FORCED 2 wrote:im tryin to find a conclusion to this as well and that was my idea with the CNG panel. My other thought was a slim battery from braille and install it in the passanger fender where the computer would be like fetter did. hard thing is finding a battery that packs a punch for the cold start ups and daily driving. thats the only battery ive found to do the job so far.

i'm not sure what the rules at tracks are since most are different, but make sure you have some kind of clearly labeled cut-off switch if the battery isn't under the hood.

especially when you start getting fast, they will bust your balls for it (which is why I opted to keep my braille in the 'relatively' stock location. I did modify the rail quite a bit underneath to get the battery to sit right where I wanted it.

Friday, November 28, 2008 9:33 AM
from what ive gathered from hondatech is that the battery in that location is legal alot of them run their batteries on the rail

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Friday, November 28, 2008 10:30 AM
As long as your battery is in the engine bay, not in front of the passenger tire, outside the rail or in the back, you can USUALLY get away without a switch. If you put your battery anywhere near the wheels a lot of tracks will give you @!#$ because if your tire comes apart you COULD have live wires arcing and that's bad.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:02 AM
Z Speed aka FORCED 2 wrote:hard thing is finding a battery that packs a punch for the cold start ups and daily driving. thats the only battery ive found to do the job so far.

Thats why I got my Odysee 680, very small, smaller than the brail. Great on daily driving. Grant it I haven't started the car below 35 degrees, because there is no need to.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search