Where have you raced and how was it? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Where have you raced and how was it?
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 9:27 AM
made this post on another forum but I think it applies here anyways since most of these times were with you guys anyway

Heres the list of places I've raced and some experiences at each

Cordova (IL) - Right on the Iowa border it marks the furthermost west I've ever been and the furthermost I've ever been from home. Ran my first pass under boost the Cavalier here the day after it was boosted, didn't do so well alot of kinks had to be worked out

Gateway (IL) - Site of the 2003 GM J-body car bash. Blistering hot, ran with the Cav pretty slow times, lost a grudge race too

Maryland Intl Raceway (MD) - Better known as MIR, I made my fastest NA pass here and this is by far my favorite track. The only thing that sucks is that its 3 hours away. I love racing here and its a fast track.

Mason Dixon (MD) - Ran here a few times during my last tuning session with the cav, I love the place and its not too far away, certainly my second favorite track.

Cecil County (MD) - Longest operating season of pretty much any track, low fees and a very fast track. Theres alot of everything here, bikes, old cars, new cars a few grand nationals are local also so your almost bound to see one. I've saw a new GTR here and a ISF. I probably run here more than any other track.

Dragway 42 (OH) - Site of the 2007 GM Bash - Ran the Cobalt stock here its not too bad of a track pretty average.

Edgewater (OH) - This will be the site of the 2009 GM Tuner Bash, I've already been there this past July testing the night before running at the dyno for the 2008 Bash. Ran Low 14s here under alot of humidity. This track gets very humid. Good times with Ben and the Hahns.

Thompson (OH) - Site of the 2004 Bash, I ran here intoxicated with the Cavalier, interestingly enough I won all 3 races I ran. This place is a dump, its slow and uphill, theres not much grip and its bumpy. One very unique thing is it has a crossover bridge with tower centered over the lanes so you can stand above the cars and watch them take off provides some excellent pic opportunities.

Beaver Springs (PA) - Probably the closest in distance but not a track I attend very often. Has a very annoying uphill grade to it that when your staged causes you to roll and kills your times. Nice atmosphere though has kinda a old school feel to it. Tim (red99z24) practically works there as a promoter lol and I have a few friends that race here. I've ran here a bunch, made my first passes with the Cobalt here.

Maple Grove (PA) - Where I attended my first drag race watching the NHRA top fuel cars run and a few years later made my very first pass here. Probably the only facility nicer than MIR I've been to. The schedule kinda blows here so its hard to run unless your a pro because they have so many pro events going on. Prices are also steep as well. Its a fast track. One of my favorites.

Numidia (PA) - Not too far from me and kinda a scenic drive up. Ran my first 15 sec pass here. Not very busy 20 bucks and I got unlimited runs. I ran 10 times, you could even hotlap and run back to back if you wanted to. Not very fast because its in the middle of nowhere so theres high winds and its very high altitude. Kinda run down last time I was there. Also hardly any 4 cylinders there. I think there was 3 of us and I kept running this civic all day so we didn't get embarrassed by everyone else lol.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Re: Where have you raced and how was it?
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 11:39 AM
Ive olny raced at cecil, love it there. You get all inds of different cars and people there, and everyone Ive met there has been realy friendly. I also like cecil cause its a much smaller track out in a small area as opposed to MIR. I believe they may be opening next month already? Ill have to check out the site.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:32 PM
yup end of feb i think

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 12:53 PM
inside a cobalt...it was horrible

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:53 PM
Raced a couple times at Lapeer Dragway in Mi. with some of the JBOM guys,had my best time of 15.1 there,I had more fun watching JBOM race though.

Track by far has to be one of the worst in michigan,no time boards and very bumpy after the 1/4.

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:12 PM
Just Rock Falls Raceway just south of Eau Claire, WI. It's not great, but on muscle car days the track is usually prepped pretty well. Sport Compact days allow for lots of runs, but @!#$ty prep and TONS of ricers.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:42 PM
so wait.. thompson was bumpy but 42 wasn't? I'm sorry I strongly disagree with you on both those counts rodimus... 42's surface was so god damn bumpy it was like racing in a poorly paved parking lot.

Atco NJ - great atmosphere, cheap price, nice track. Haven't been there since they re-did the first 1/8mile in concrete. No way to drive around the water box if you want to. Tech-in almost non existent, but they will throw you out if your car is "too fast" for what you have.

Englishtown Raceway park NJ - very nice, large facility but sort of crappier atmosphere, higher prices, more traffic and less opportunity for runs. Generally (for me) a slower track. You can however drive around the water box. Strict tech-in, even on street nights.

Thompson Dragway OH - Cool atmosphere, decent facilities, cool overhead bridge over the start line, "fun" return road (have to slow down before crashing through a fence and into a small lake. return road is long, narrow and twisty. No tech-in that day. (bash 2004)

Indianapolis Raceway Park IN - HUGE facility, VERY nice. STRICT tech-in.

Great Lakes Dragway WI - nice facility, nice track surface. Prices aren't bad. Tech-in was enforced.

Dragway 42 OH - decent facility, but track surface was just awful. Lining up was haphazard as well, with a turn in, then a reverse then a burnout in order to stage. Very cooperative with us when we were there so I have to give them that at least.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 6:30 PM
oh yea forgot about IRP I been there as well, that was a stinking hot day as well I was having knock issues that day

been to Atco but never raced there

Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:04 AM
i have raced at cecil and maple but mostly i race at quarter aces only an 1/8 but you get ten million time runs before eliminations. I do like maple tho very nice track
Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:40 AM
orlando speed world and New england drag way both tracks are good but fastest time was is FL 15.0 at 95 mph
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:47 PM
DroptopPaul wrote:inside a cobalt...it was horrible

Usually is.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:42 PM
I liked norwalk and thompsons but i didnt like 42 the track goes up hill
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:22 AM
Grand Bend Motorplex in Ontario Canada - Awesome facility track is brand new repaved 2 years ago

St. Thomas Dragway Ontarion Canada, like a flash from th epast looks like its still a 60s drag strip just with upgraded timing equipment its awesome hooks good. its also the site of the JCO Bashs

b]Toronto Motorsports Park Ontario Canada - the track is awesome. the facility is @!#$ they need to repave ALOT there are huge pot holes and such.

Indianapolis Raceway park - been there a couple times for the Division 3 Bracket finals AWESOME atmosphere and time track was amazing

Norwalk - went there for the Summit All Start Bracket finals very impressed loved it

Bunkerhill in indianapolis - we stopped in there on the way home from IRP it was a good time they were shocked to see a canadian bugging me if i bought slicks just to come down cuz i should drag in the snow LOL (i was in my 72 Nova Drag car when we went to the US)

Its pretty cool that me from way down here in Ont has raced at some of the same tracks as you guys

i have also been to US dragway 131 (martin Michigan)
ubly Dragway
Mid michigan
Milan in michigan

cool facilitys hope to bring my new "street car" there its a low 12 second 72 nova

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:17 AM
New England Dragway - Epping, NH.... very nice NHRA track.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:38 AM
Thompson (OH) - Repaved track 07', new cement burn out area 07'. Nice sticky 60ft...then about 1/8 mile there is NO glue. Bleachers are falling apart. They are working on fixing everything. New tree, and time slip machine.....still working out the bugs on the time slip machine and track time boards. Short shut down area.....

Norwalk (Oh) - Is there a better track in Ohio? Little pricey, great, well maintained track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:40 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:12 PM
KCIR i have only raced her nice i think pretty layed back prices are a litte high but its better there than on the street
plan on going to heartland park something

Friday, January 16, 2009 12:35 PM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:Raced a couple times at Lapeer Dragway in Mi. with some of the JBOM guys,had my best time of 15.1 there,I had more fun watching JBOM race though.

Track by far has to be one of the worst in michigan,no time boards and very bumpy after the 1/4.

what he said

Monday, January 19, 2009 9:36 PM
Great Lakes Dragaway Race there 3x a month pretty much my 2nd home! Love the track(when its competition time) When its test and tune forget it!! Tech in is usaully strict! The even made me open my trunk they yanked on my sub box to make sure it was bolted down! Also wont let u race with N20 unless u have a blowdown tube. Nicest track persionel you could ask for!

Byron Decent track. Tech is layed back which sux. I actually crashed there once Had such bad wheel hop out of the hole that my abs turned off and slowing down i must have hit some oil or something and the car just spun around

Rout 66 AWSOME TRACK !!! But not ment for the casual racer you will get about 2 runs in on a test a tune day..

]:-> 287 TimeSlips In Hand. Car Still Runs Strong... 3 Differentials Later ]:->
Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:57 AM
Great Lakes Dragway- took the s-10 there they were strick on tech. Overall I always enjoy going there.

Route 66- I agree 100% with Schnupper

Byron- If you just put your car together and your hoping tech is lax go there haha. Brought the Natchback there on slicks never checked for drive shaft loop. Brought the s-10 there on a trailer and slicks and skinnies...didn't even look at it just told me to have fun...ran 11.40's off the bottle that day no cage and only lap belts...thats why we take our project cars there....

Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:30 AM
I go to cecil all the time, and ummm, Mason Dixon???? Where is that ive never heard of it and live VERY close to the trail in MD

Saturday, February 28, 2009 11:45 AM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:I go to cecil all the time, and ummm, Mason Dixon???? Where is that ive never heard of it and live VERY close to the trail in MD

its in maryland. go look it up

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!

Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:33 PM
randizzle wrote:Just Rock Falls Raceway just south of Eau Claire, WI. It's not great, but on muscle car days the track is usually prepped pretty well. Sport Compact days allow for lots of runs, but @!#$ty prep and TONS of ricers.

only place ive been so far and despite all the sport compact people bitchin and saying you will run a half second slower here i did quite well there esp for my first and only time goin to a track. and ill agree on the sport compact days you will get plenty of runs in.

Monday, March 02, 2009 10:08 AM
kil kare in ohio
oxford maine
lee nh
white mountain nh
canaan nh
beech ridge maine
Wednesday, March 04, 2009 12:47 AM
the only placed ive run at was Moorseville Dragway, NC. its an 1/8th mile but i like it. i had fun

Saturday, March 07, 2009 5:42 PM
atco nj, englishtown nj ,maple grove pa

z28guy(KGM BEOTCH)
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search