I know bench racing is the devil, but... - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: I know bench racing is the devil, but...
Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:13 PM
oldskool wrote:

However, eco heads at harry's in pennsburg pa are ~35$ Hmmmm

Did i miss something?

Saturday, March 14, 2009 8:18 PM
Jason Brantner wrote:I have seen an 04 loaded ls ecotec with just an intake and cutoff muffler run a 14.8. I didn't believe it but the guy can drive like no other. You can do mid 14's with good traction and launch

Can you scan a timeslip? I wanna compare to my loaded 04 LSS.

Sunday, March 15, 2009 5:27 AM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:
oldskool wrote:

Did i miss something?
Just saying that with heads available so cheap, for the budget minded DIY'er like me it would be easy to pick up the head and experiment with opening up the ports, or pick up some stock cams and have a regrind done. In terms of price it blows away commercially available options...Call it a contingency plan

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:09 PM
oldskool wrote:
whiskerbiscuit wrote:
oldskool wrote:

Did i miss something?
Just saying that with heads available so cheap, for the budget minded DIY'er like me it would be easy to pick up the head and experiment with opening up the ports, or pick up some stock cams and have a regrind done. In terms of price it blows away commercially available options...Call it a contingency plan

Ok thats what i was thinking. Might do the same thing myself

Thursday, April 02, 2009 3:43 AM
Saturday is the day guys! I'm fkn excited. I'll definately post up timeslips saturday afternoon before my saturday night drunkfest celebration

Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:50 AM
Sweet man!!

Very excited to see the times.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 8:20 AM
I'm just curious on what the differences between the 1SV eco and the Base model eco.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 9:26 AM
I'm pretty sure 1sv is the base model..lowest model made

Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:01 AM
Then i guess thats what i have the 1SV model. I thought the 1SV had no A/C. Thats the only option that my car has besides power steering. I'm still new to the j body world.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:48 AM
OhForKavy wrote:I'm pretty sure 1sv is the base model..lowest model made

no its not.

if you goto cars.com and research 03+ jbodies, the 1SV is below the base model.

the differences between the base model and the 1SV is the 1SV has no tilt steering, no mirrors in the overhead visors, no ABS.
the 1SV is also offered only as a coupe, and only as a 5 speed. there is no 4 door or automatic 1SV

it stands for special value.. priced below a base model jbody. I've heard that the 1SV also doesn't come with a CD player (am/fm only) but mine did.

1SVs DO come with air conditioning, and a front sway bar. Base model Jbodies from 95-02 did not come with front sway bars. In 03+ they were standard equipment no matter what trim level you had.

Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:58 AM
Thanks Paul! Thats what i have then. Mine too came with a cd player. I also put a MIC on the front sway bar and its 19mm just in case anybody wanted to know.

Sunday, April 05, 2009 9:59 AM
Slips????

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:02 AM
Well unfortuantely maple grove was ony running 1/8th miles on saturday due to cross winds. I was qute disappointed but ran anyway.

Best 1/8th mile: 10.062@ 71.4mph with a 2.4 sixty foot.

I'll say that its not as easy as it looks. My first sixty foot was actually 2.9 lol. I got better with each run and the above time was my last of five. I definately need and am going to get more practice. Wheel hop was still present, so i guess i need to launch at a higher rpm?

Does anyone know how to roughly translate a 1/8th mile time to a 1/4 mile time?

Sunday, April 05, 2009 10:45 AM
I'm confident you can do much better with practice. Work on your launch a little. Maybe try more rpms and feather the clutch, or less rpms and dump it. I do the latter most often. And don't let anyone on here beat you up about it, we weren't all perfect our first time out.

Just as a comparison, my 60 foots are slow just as yours, my fastest 1/4 ever left me with a 2.3, which left me with a 15.166 1/4.

Looking through my slips I see my 10 sec plus 1/8ths were about 15.6-15.8 in the 1/4. And i truly believe your car has a better top end than mine.

Keep at it I know there is a 14.9xx In there somewhere.

Good Luck

Sunday, April 05, 2009 11:31 AM
Thanks man. I'm not worried too much about what people would say about the time. It was my first time racing at a track. I got consistently better each run, and if i had five more, who knows? I will be going back that's for sure, and hopefully its for the full 1/4 mile this time.

Monday, April 06, 2009 12:54 AM
Not to go off topic but I thought abs was mandatory after 1991? I would like to get a hold of a non abs eco for circle track racing.
Monday, April 06, 2009 10:24 AM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:LOL typical for ld9'ers to doubt 14's. You would be competely shocked if you saw my mods and my timeslips. On street tires i run low 15's with crappy homemade modifications. I don't even have a full exhaust yet!

And its like Eco owners to have the build book that steps them through how to make power and they never pay any attention at all.
Lets not forget...LD9(Karo) has got the power N/A BIG TIME compared to the eco, so.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 06, 2009 10:32 AM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, April 06, 2009 2:11 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
whiskerbiscuit wrote:LOL typical for ld9'ers to doubt 14's. You would be competely shocked if you saw my mods and my timeslips. On street tires i run low 15's with crappy homemade modifications. I don't even have a full exhaust yet!

And its like Eco owners to have the build book that steps them through how to make power and they never pay any attention at all.
Lets not forget...LD9(Karo) has got the power N/A BIG TIME compared to the eco, so.........

yet, the fastest jbody here is eco powered..

also the build book doesn't reveal anything about building an all motor ecotec, just stupid details (nothing worth while) and that the engine package can be purchased from rousch racing, so you're making a moot point.

Monday, April 06, 2009 3:06 PM
Practice definitely makes perfect my man, work on cutting those 60 foots down and you will be in the 14's no problem.

I'd like to see what the 1/4 mile times will be in relation to the 1/8 mile times, post them up when you get them.

Monday, April 06, 2009 3:15 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:

yet, the fastest jbody here is eco powered..

also the build book doesn't reveal anything about building an all motor ecotec, just stupid details (nothing worth while) and that the engine package can be purchased from rousch racing, so you're making a moot point.

Am I?

LD9 requires more of a person to build since the parts aren't as easy to get(less aftermarket). Where as the exact opposite is true with an eco. With a 4 bolt main and block sleeve inserts, cranks, ect, ect.... an eco should be BLOWING the LD9 away...yet its not. Where's the moot point? The eco should be miles ahead of the LD9 but yet they can be classified as equals as far as I've seen.

EDIT: Nevermind, I get what you meant by moot point regarding the build book...10-4. Probly true. Sorry to thread jack....I just couldn't help myself and not stand up for the LD9'ers on the post I originally quoted.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Monday, April 06, 2009 3:49 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, April 06, 2009 3:55 PM
newt wrote:Practice definitely makes perfect my man, work on cutting those 60 foots down and you will be in the 14's no problem.

I'd like to see what the 1/4 mile times will be in relation to the 1/8 mile times, post them up when you get them.

Yes i need practice.

NHRA uses a factor of 1.56 for estimating 1/4mile times from 1/8mile times. Unfortunately that puts me at mid 15s. The disclaimer is that gearing, aero, powerband, ect., can affect the estimate. I'll be back with 1/4 mile times for sure, but based on that conversion, 14's will require a lot more practice on my end.

My question: is there a general rule for 60' time vs 1/4mi ET? Like if i drop 0.3 of the 60', what would that shave of off the ET? Is it one to one?

Monday, April 06, 2009 6:49 PM
Here is a 1/8 to 1/4 mile converter chart, http://www.geocities.com/allstangs/Page.htm says basically you ran a 15.6-7ish

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:54 AM
^^^Which is pretty close to what i said...

Thursday, April 16, 2009 9:26 AM
Andrew Ruschmann wrote:Not to go off topic but I thought abs was mandatory after 1991? I would like to get a hold of a non abs eco for circle track racing.

to answer your question..my ex's cavy was an 03 with no abs and I know of another ls cavy that didn't have abs either..so they are out there

On topic...It takes practice..I found that out my first time too..you gotta find that sweet spot and hit all your shifts..you'll get better with time

Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:58 PM
For the Jbody, ABS was a standard feature along with tilt steering until 03. After that they made it optional.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search