1/2 mile circle dirt track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1/2 mile circle dirt track
Saturday, February 07, 2009 7:44 AM
i see that everyone is talking about Kumho 175/70/14 tires to run with these cavaliers. I have a '95 going to build this year and was wondering where i can get 14 inch rims that will fit on this car? I pretty sure junkyards, but off what year and make of cars will fit on my '95.

Also, does anyone have any problems with the right rear bearings in these cars? What can I do to eliminate that issue if there is one?

See a lot of camber threads, so on the RF i want to camber the top of the tire in? And on the LF, i want to have the top of the tire out?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is a different style of car this year for me. I was running an eclipse before. So, on to learning new things again.

Re: 1/2 mile circle dirt track
Saturday, February 07, 2009 12:10 PM
Jeremy Williams wrote:i see that everyone is talking about Kumho 175/70/14 tires to run with these cavaliers. I have a '95 going to build this year and was wondering where i can get 14 inch rims that will fit on this car? I pretty sure junkyards, but off what year and make of cars will fit on my '95.

any j-body with a 15 inch rim. dodge neon. berretta's. just about any car with a 5x100 bolt pattern

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Saturday, February 07, 2009 4:46 PM
if you are allowed to run offsets call diamond racing wheel thay can make them for ya
Monday, February 09, 2009 1:56 PM
Thanks guys. I will do some looking around.

Got my '95 Z24 last night. Gutted out the interior and spent all day trying to get that d*** motor out. I would like to meet the guy that designed the setup for that motor. Wish he could of made it a bit easier. Going back at it on Wed. Hopefully this time we get her out.

Any input on the best way to pull these motors?
Monday, February 09, 2009 4:48 PM
out the bottom i drop the subframe and all
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:22 PM
We run a 3/8 mile dirt track and run a cavalier also. We also have had bad luck with the rear passenger spindle breaking or it gets real loose. I have enlisted the help of a friend of mine that has about 25 years experience in the tooling trade, He is also a designer he was nice enough to draw up a new spindle for me and has sent the drawings out to several tooling shops for quotes but I have not received any news back on them yet.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:12 PM
Pull motor and trans together use a 80-90 caravan hub same boltpatter has to be a 14 inch wheel caravan

bc97cavalier
Friday, February 13, 2009 8:58 AM
Frank Costill wrote:We run a 3/8 mile dirt track and run a cavalier also. We also have had bad luck with the rear passenger spindle breaking or it gets real loose. I have enlisted the help of a friend of mine that has about 25 years experience in the tooling trade, He is also a designer he was nice enough to draw up a new spindle for me and has sent the drawings out to several tooling shops for quotes but I have not received any news back on them yet.

I been running a custom built bearing on the right rear for a few years now that seems too hold up nice.

Go too ur local shop and buy a trailer bearing assembly . Get a piece of 1/4 flat steel. Mark ur holes and drill them out. Weld the yoke of the shaft too the steel. ( we laythed a cirle in the flat steel so we could weld on both sides) Note: If you have too run brakes it will take a little more machining on the asembly too get the brakes too fit but can be done.
Friday, February 20, 2009 9:33 AM
Wheel bearings? Usually not an issue until 75k or so, being your going to be on rougher ground it might not be such a bad idea to change them every few races or months. If it does become an issue other than replacing them with OEM your only option might be something like a rear end swap from a grand am so you have different hubs. Might want to run snow tires even, better traction.

I'm not quite sure about the nature of what your doing but im assuming this is a half mile oval and that your going to spend a good bit of time braking and also going full throttle down the straights. I wouldnt worry so much about horsepower because it means nothing if you can't finish. I'd look into upgraded radiator setups and braking improvements, if legal. I've heard of some folks having issues with the rear drums locking up after alot of hard runs auto xing I'd look into upgrading those to rear disks.

In order to adjust camber you will need some coilovers, prob something with adjustable dampening and height, but those are 1100 or more you might not want to drop that kinda cash

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:44 AM
the problem we have is because we run racing tires, hoosier 790's that they have so much grip it puts side load onto the wheel bearing past the breaking point and the shaft breaks in half ill post a picture of one tomorrow for ya
Thursday, February 26, 2009 3:49 PM
a little late but here is a pic of our numerous problems with rear hubs on our cavaliers, one of the was a faulty weld on the wheel mounting flange the others broke due to stress
these are just the ones i found layign around who knows how many more there are that i have broke i think the number is like 12 or 13 now

Thursday, February 26, 2009 11:09 PM
I guess I have a dumb question what happens when these bearings fail? We were running 205/75/14 on the front for a 3/8 track and completely tore the wheel off the passenger front. Put new studs on went back to 195/75/14 and never had the problem again. Happened on both our 92 and 96 Cavaliers with the big tires.
Monday, March 02, 2009 10:09 AM
when my bearings fail its always the rear and the tire gets caught under the chassis shredding the tire bending the wheel and ripping the quater panel off, everytime one breaks cost me about $250
Monday, March 02, 2009 10:11 AM

Sunday, March 08, 2009 5:42 PM
anybody have pics of these upgraded/modified wheel bearings? it would be nice if i didnt go though 10 bearings a season. lol

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Friday, March 13, 2009 12:17 PM
Quote:

I been running a custom built bearing on the right rear for a few years now that seems too hold up nice.

Go too ur local shop and buy a trailer bearing assembly . Get a piece of 1/4 flat steel. Mark ur holes and drill them out. Weld the yoke of the shaft too the steel. ( we laythed a cirle in the flat steel so we could weld on both sides) Note: If you have too run brakes it will take a little more machining on the asembly too get the brakes too fit but can be done.

No pics but i have been running the same one this guy runs. Youll blow the center out of the rim usually before this one breaks.

fast cavy
Friday, March 13, 2009 12:20 PM
Ill try to get a pic. Ill be out of town for the next couple weeks but i can get yah one if ur not in a hurry.

fast cavy
Sunday, March 22, 2009 7:47 PM
Anyone help on the decision on what racing clutch to go with? Looking at a F1 racing stage one, would like the ACT, but a bit short on money.
Saturday, March 28, 2009 12:48 PM
Never used a racing clutch, just the stockers. Never had any problems with it.

Id go Oem replacement and save your money for other things.

No hurry on the pics redlined, turns out i can even get my cav out of the backyard yet.

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search