Fastest N/A 2.2 Eco with NO internal mods - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fastest N/A 2.2 Eco with NO internal mods
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:19 AM
Yup the title says it. I wanna know who has the fastest N/A 2.2 ECO with just basic bolt ons. NO INTERNAL MODS! I don't wanna know about past cars either. I want current cars/current owners.

POST EM UP PEOPLE!

Re: Fastest N/A 2.2 Eco with NO internal mods
Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:25 AM
Last I checked, newt was very fast with just an intake, cat back, yellows and gc's, and maybe hpt tuners?

Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:47 AM
I know you said no past cars but here's my contribution nevertheless:

what qualifies as no internal mods?

ben was way faster, but he had some work done to the rotating assembly and I believe his engines are all zero-decked. the skwirl was completely stock bottom end.. yes, even balance shafts but it had a ported head and cams.

14.0 @ 97mph was my fastest run ever. no weight reduction other than removal of spare tire/jack and the a/c system. after the engine started getting tired (partly due to my crappy tuning and horrors I put that engine through) it got slower and slower.

Fred at SMG was the first to hit 13s all motor, but his car was pretty bare bones (even more stripped than ben's at the time) although I'm not sure what they had done to the engine. He had a built automatic, and BigStuff3

with the stuff thats available now and the more aggressive cams out there. I know I'm going to catch crap for saying this, but I fully believe a streetable base model eco powered jbody is a 13 second car with a ported head, cams, full exhaust, an HPT tune, and someone who can drive it/ is willing to use it.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 1:06 AM
I vote daflyinskwirl hands down...

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Thursday, March 26, 2009 9:57 AM
Ok let me redo the wording. I want NO INTERNAL MOTOR mods, no hybrids, and nothing but 2.2 ecotec motors.basic bolts ons is all i want...

The reason I ask is that right now i am at 15.4 with a full interior, sub/amps in the back, and half a tank a gas. I am hoping that with less gas, my drag radial, and maybe a stripped interior, that i can be 14.9ish...

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:59 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:Ok let me redo the wording. I want NO INTERNAL MOTOR mods, no hybrids, and nothing but 2.2 ecotec motors.basic bolts ons is all i want...

The reason I ask is that right now i am at 15.4 with a full interior, sub/amps in the back, and half a tank a gas. I am hoping that with less gas, my drag radial, and maybe a stripped interior, that i can be 14.9ish...

My ex GF's cav was 14.8 with drag radials, intake, and full exhaust. I think she may have had mounts but I can't remember. This was before the days of HPTuners too.

Also, the skwirl (when I first swapped in the L61 back in the day) was 14.9 right out of the garage. I had an intake, catback, flywheel and clutch. This was on 14" steelies and street tires. The skwirl was NEVER stripped back in the all motor days.. it didn't need it.

When it hit 14.0s it was still a pure 2.2 All you need to do is upgrade the head and cams and you're going to be a LOT faster. The head, cams, and decent tune dropped almost a full second off my e/t and I gained almost 4mph in my trap speed.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 11:49 AM
I'm not wanting to tune it or anything like that. I am bolting on the GMPP kits in a matter of months.

I was just wondering. I have intake, header, exhaust and mounts, and that is it besides suspensions stuff. I think if I had the flywheel, that might drop a few tenths but I'm not worried. I was talking to Alan (californiadomestics) last night, and he said that if I get into the 14's with my DR's that I would be one of the fastest STOCK MOTOR L61's with no internal mods that he knows of. SO I was just curious. I'm not tuned or anythign like that, just wanna be as fast as i can be in each stage of the car. The stage right now is stock motor no internals, full suspension, and basic bolt ons. the next stage is all the same with the addition of the GMPP kit.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:47 PM
bolt-ons only and no tune, I was 14.9, my ex was 14.8

I'm pretty sure a few have gone quicker than that with tuning/ more mods.

Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:07 PM
so i will be about right with no tune and no internal work...NICE!

whats the weight diff between a can and a fire? anyone?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:11 PM

Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:03 PM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:so i will be about right with no tune and no internal work...NICE!

whats the weight diff between a can and a fire? anyone?

I assume you mean cav and sunfire, maybe 100lbs. Sunroofs are heavy, as well as all the other power accesories you can add on, that can make a bigger difference than cav vs. SF.

15.3 @ 89.97mph - '01 SFGT (Sold)
'98 Acura 1.6EL Sport 5M Y7/Y8 mini me (Sold)
'99 Acura 1.6EL Premium 5M B20 w/ GSR/ITR LSD tranny
Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:27 PM
yeah i mean cav and sunfire...lol i have heard that pre 03 cavs are lighter then pre 03 sunfires, but that it is opposite for 03+.

Friday, March 27, 2009 4:23 AM
I'm hoping for 14.9x or less in my full bolt on 1SV - street tires, full interior. Find my "benchracing is the devil" thread for more discussion. It's basically exactly what you are looking for. My block/head/cams are untouched. The car is HPT street tuned via wideband; nothing fancy there.

I missed the opening day at Maple Grove, but I hope to catch a grudge match/ test and tune day/night one of these weekends when i'm in town and its not raining

Friday, March 27, 2009 10:56 AM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:yeah i mean cav and sunfire...lol i have heard that pre 03 cavs are lighter then pre 03 sunfires, but that it is opposite for 03+.

Just go weigh your car in the condition it will be in when you go to the track then add your weight to it. That is all that really matters.

As for your interior leave it in unless you are always going to drive without it. The idea is not to do everything possible to run a time once that you could not run anyday. It should be a fair representation of your car everyday ability.

As for drag radials. You have no bussiness with them until your car is consistently breaking mid 13 on street tires. Way too often on here I see drag racing newbs throwing out their interior and bolting drag radials onto what would be a high 15 second car normally. Then running a time they could not normally even come close too and claiming that as their 1/4 mile time.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, March 27, 2009 11:01 AM
I leave my interior in. The only thing that is not there is the jack and stuff that goes in the wheel well. I took it out long ago. But I make up fo rit with a 20 lb sub/box, and 10 lbs worth of amps and wires.

Also, your comment about drag radials is your OPINION and I respect that. I have a car that will run 15.4's on a stock motor with intake header exhaust and mounts, on street tires. If radials take me into the HIGH 14's before I boost I want to try it. I will run the radials every time at the track after I boost, I might as well break them in now.

I thought a 1/4 mile time was just that a 1/4 mile time. Not what you would run on the street in a 1/4. It's what you run at the track in a 1/4. Why not set ur car up for its best performance???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, March 27, 2009 11:43 AM

Friday, March 27, 2009 8:02 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:As for drag radials. You have no bussiness with them until your car is consistently breaking mid 13 on street tires. Way too often on here I see drag racing newbs throwing out their interior and bolting drag radials onto what would be a high 15 second car normally. Then running a time they could not normally even come close too and claiming that as their 1/4 mile time.

uh, no.

if you're talking about slicks, then yes I agree. No business putting them on a basically bone stock car. when you start to make real power, or actually launch the car, radials come in handy. (when I say launch, I mean LAUNCH.. I had my 2-step at 5400rpm)

If you've ever driven a car capable of mid 13s, this would probably make more sense to you.
Radials are perfectly legal for the street, and way stickier than normal tires. Exactly the reason why I drove the skwirl with DRs on a vast majority of the time.

but comparing the track to the street... still iffy on that too. If you ever launch a car on the street then try to use the same technique on the track, it won't work.. two totally different animals. I never understood the whole idea of "running your car like it is on the street" crap either.

If I goto a dance, I'm going to dress nice. If I goto sleep, I'm going to wear pajamas. If I goto work, I'm wearing my uniform.

If you goto a car show (perish the thought), you'd wash your car and clean it really good, wouldn't you? Why not just get in and drive it "the way it is" to the car show with bugs in the grille and bird shat on the windows?

If I goto the track (and have a car worth two sh!ts.. ie. not 16 or 15 second passes), I'm making sure I put on track tires. Makes sense to me.

Sunday, March 29, 2009 12:55 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:

If I goto the track (and have a car worth two sh!ts.. ie. not 16 or 15 second passes), I'm making sure I put on track tires. Makes sense to me.

So your saying since i haven't broken into the 14's yet my car is not worth a @!#$? thanks PJ!! lol I'm joking man. Thanks for the input dude. You seem to be the only one that answered what I was looking for.

Monday, March 30, 2009 11:16 PM
i have a 2002 cavalier 2.2 fully stock. no bolt ons nothing not even intake. the only thing different is the rims they are 18" when i ran it everything was in the car no seat removal nothing.

never had it on a 1/4 mile but the 1/8 mile i ran a 9.7.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:15 AM
I'm by far the fastest, but I did pretty well I guess.

15.0 @ 91 is my best time so far.

The car definitly had a 14.xx in it but I was running a bracket competition that night and didn't want to break out.

Mods are:

AEM Intake
2 1/4 Compression bent Cat-Back
Catco High Flow Cat
Koni Yellow Struts / Ground Control Coilovers
Full Interior ( Minus Spare Tire and Jack)
Power Enrichment lowered to 1000RPM (Only Modification done to the computer at the time)
Stock 15' Steelies and Tires

I've got some plans for this year, I'll be making a progress thread soon, hoping for mid/low 14's this summer, with just bolt ons.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:34 PM
I'm by far not the fastest****

Damn lack of edit button and premium status..lol

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 3:39 PM
Still computer mods Newt, I dont know how much that helped, but its still a comp mod... I am not tuned in anyway, and am at 15.4 right now, with a full tank, fullsize spare in the back, and full interior, and 20 lbs of subwoffer.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:52 PM
Well what is a estimated 1/4 mile run if my 1/8 was a 9.7

Plus this eco motor has 143000 miles on it.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:59 PM
stephen steele wrote:Well what is a estimated 1/4 mile run if my 1/8 was a 9.7

Plus this eco motor has 143000 miles on it.

Roughly a 15.0-15.1 1/4 mile time

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:08 PM
Well evofire with no mods what so ever you are capable of running a 15.0 it all really depends on driver. My wife raced same day same track same car and she could only run a 10.4. So its the driver in most cases.

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:42 PM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:Still computer mods Newt, I dont know how much that helped, but its still a comp mod... I am not tuned in anyway, and am at 15.4 right now, with a full tank, fullsize spare in the back, and full interior, and 20 lbs of subwoffer.

Considering 2002 Eco powered J-bodies had power enrichment delayed to 3000rpm, and no one sees that low of RPM at the track, I don't consider it a computer mod.

Basically same set up as 2002's run, never noticed a power increase with it, just felt like playing with HPTuners and I didn't have a wide band at the time....LOL

Gonna be a big summer I think for Mild N/A built Eco's, I can't wait

Good Luck to all !

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:50 PM
booo i don't want to wait until summer.

I'm heading to the track saturday weather permitting. As of now it looks like the rain will be out friday night, and we should have mid 50s temps saturday

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search