Fastest N/A 2.2 Eco with NO internal mods - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Fastest N/A 2.2 Eco with NO internal mods
Wednesday, April 01, 2009 3:53 PM
Nice, I'm very curious to see what you car runs oldskool, make sure to post up your times when you get them

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:04 PM
Former owner of my 03 said it ran a 14.8 with better tires(not sure if it was slicks or drag radials). Only mods are AEM intake, Pacesetter header, 2.25" Magnaflow exhaust, RK lower mount, and B&M shifter.

Thursday, April 02, 2009 4:18 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
Wade Jarvis wrote:As for drag radials. You have no bussiness with them until your car is consistently breaking mid 13 on street tires. Way too often on here I see drag racing newbs throwing out their interior and bolting drag radials onto what would be a high 15 second car normally. Then running a time they could not normally even come close too and claiming that as their 1/4 mile time.

uh, no.

if you're talking about slicks, then yes I agree. No business putting them on a basically bone stock car. when you start to make real power, or actually launch the car, radials come in handy. (when I say launch, I mean LAUNCH.. I had my 2-step at 5400rpm)

If you've ever driven a car capable of mid 13s, this would probably make more sense to you.
Radials are perfectly legal for the street, and way stickier than normal tires. Exactly the reason why I drove the skwirl with DRs on a vast majority of the time.

but comparing the track to the street... still iffy on that too. If you ever launch a car on the street then try to use the same technique on the track, it won't work.. two totally different animals. I never understood the whole idea of "running your car like it is on the street" crap either.

If I goto a dance, I'm going to dress nice. If I goto sleep, I'm going to wear pajamas. If I goto work, I'm wearing my uniform.

If you goto a car show (perish the thought), you'd wash your car and clean it really good, wouldn't you? Why not just get in and drive it "the way it is" to the car show with bugs in the grille and bird shat on the windows?

If I goto the track (and have a car worth two sh!ts.. ie. not 16 or 15 second passes), I'm making sure I put on track tires. Makes sense to me.

x2.

Beat me to it.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 1:40 AM
Mind you Evofire's got a willwood big brake kit and hes on 17's! That rotating mass alone is at least a couple tenths if not half a second in the 1/4.

Hes probably one of the few guys that built his car up right to go fast.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 3:50 PM
And your basing that statment on what? Do you know the difference in the weight and performance or just talking out your ass?

edit - typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:57 PM

Sunday, April 26, 2009 7:49 PM
^^ yeah i was lost on what he said about having big brakes and 17's to

Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:05 PM
I understand what hes saying... more weight weight makes for a slower car, weight is bad, unsprung weight is worse. What hes saying is that the 17's and big brakes are adding enough rotating mass to slow the car down 1/2 a second in the 1/4 mile.

The theory its logical, but he's completely making @!#$ up because he has no facts or before and after comparisons or anything else to back up saying it makes him run "at least a couple tenths if not half a second" slower.

Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:20 PM
EVOFire {DesertTuners} wrote:I'm not wanting to tune it or anything like that. I am bolting on the GMPP kits in a matter of months.

I was just wondering. I have intake, header, exhaust and mounts, and that is it besides suspensions stuff. I think if I had the flywheel, that might drop a few tenths but I'm not worried. I was talking to Alan (californiadomestics) last night, and he said that if I get into the 14's with my DR's that I would be one of the fastest STOCK MOTOR L61's with no internal mods that he knows of. SO I was just curious. I'm not tuned or anythign like that, just wanna be as fast as i can be in each stage of the car. The stage right now is stock motor no internals, full suspension, and basic bolt ons. the next stage is all the same with the addition of the GMPP kit.

add a light weight alt. pulley and a crank pulley and theyll help out more. my 03 is pretty quick( i said quick not fast) for only having a intake, cat back, and light weight pulleys. i also have a full body kit so thatll slow it down some

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, April 26, 2009 8:20 PM

ShowOff Customz
03 Cavalier
73 Beetle
68 Fairlane 500

Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:11 PM
Wow Im not sure how this resurgance of this thread started. The wheels that I have now are actually pretty light, and the brakes, if people have been telling me the truth are actually 2-3 lbs lighter per side then the all steel stock parts. So whats up here guys? did i miss something in my own thread?

Monday, April 27, 2009 1:28 PM
^^ its a principal of physics called moment of inertia.

look it up, should explain why even tho a part may be lighter in weight, its diameter will still make it more difficult to spin.

Monday, April 27, 2009 1:33 PM
no no no i know all about that PJ, i mean how and why after 3 weeks, that one post by grant (ss-j) brought it back to life...not sure why he did that.

Monday, April 27, 2009 1:49 PM
well i may not have a big brake kit but i do have 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires on the car. and im still running a 9.7 i really doubt if i put 14" tires on ill loose 1/4 of a sec in the 1/8. i dont think the tires have much difference in times. just launch at a higher rpm. but i could be talking out of my ass lol

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:08 PM
SS-J wrote:Hes probably one of the few guys that built his car up right to go fast.

I disagree.

if you're building a road race or auto-x car, then ok I'll buy that.

big brakes are not a requirement for drag racing, in fact its a hindering factor if anything.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:26 PM
stephen steele wrote:well i may not have a big brake kit but i do have 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires on the car. and im still running a 9.7 i really doubt if i put 14" tires on ill loose 1/4 of a sec in the 1/8. i dont think the tires have much difference in times. just launch at a higher rpm. but i could be talking out of my ass lol

yea you are.

unsprung weight makes a huge difference in not only traction, but they sap up power pretty bad. rotational mass makes more of a difference than any other type of mass.

Monday, April 27, 2009 2:34 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
stephen steele wrote:well i may not have a big brake kit but i do have 18" rims with 225/40/18 tires on the car. and im still running a 9.7 i really doubt if i put 14" tires on ill loose 1/4 of a sec in the 1/8. i dont think the tires have much difference in times. just launch at a higher rpm. but i could be talking out of my ass lol

yea you are.

unsprung weight makes a huge difference in not only traction, but they sap up power pretty bad. rotational mass makes more of a difference than any other type of mass.

QFT. The bigger diameter positions the weight further from where the piece rotates. Further difference allows the weight to put more "leverage" on the hub keeping it from turning.
Monday, April 27, 2009 3:26 PM
well i guess the next time i go to the track ill put some 14" steelies on and see what i run. maybe put it in the low 9's

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:23 PM
am excited to run the track this summer. aem intake, muffler, motor mounts, agxs and rk sport coilovers.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:11 AM
stephen steele wrote:well i guess the next time i go to the track ill put some 14" steelies on and see what i run. maybe put it in the low 9's

Not hardly. You guys are expecting way too much from minor mods in this thread... You might lose a couple tenths in the 1/8th miles, TOPS. That is only if the tires you have on the 14s can obtain equal traction to your 18s.

For the thread starter, I think what people are getting at is that you can still get faster and closer to 15 flat without drag radials.

Personally I think hoping to go from 15.487 to a 14.9 is pretty damn hopeful, perhaps a bit too hopeful. You're going to have to launch the hell out of the car, and without a 2.0x 60' it just won't happen on the big end.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:14 PM
well a couple 1/10s would put me in the low 9's. and also my 60 foot times are 2.0

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:26 PM
Technically a couple tenths would be mid 9s...

I'm not splitting hairs though. This is all just semantics anyways.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:44 PM
I ran a couple 15.100's with absolutely no mods, on the stock goodyear conquest tires

Saturday, May 02, 2009 1:40 PM
15.04 with a hand made intake and motor mounts I need a new stock car to try all over again with.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, May 03, 2009 7:44 PM
Darkstars wrote:The theory its logical, but he's completely making @!#$ up because he has no facts or before and after comparisons or anything else to back up saying it makes him run "at least a couple tenths if not half a second" slower.

Im sure he isn't just pulling it out of his ass or making it up.

SS-J goes the the track every time we go. I have ran my car with my 17's and ran 15.8 / 15.9 all night. Go back the next month and the only thing changed in 14" steelies and I run 15.6 / 15.7 all night. (4 to 5 runs each night and auto). Im not saying 14's will give you 1/2 second or more on anyones times... Im just pointing out while at the track with my 17" wheels I run 15.838 @ 86.007 best time, and with my 14" wheels I run 15.615 @ 89.360 best time.

Also for the AZSRA car show and race this month, M2 ran 15.9 most of the night with his 17" wheels and swapped out to some stock steelies that night and ran several 15.6 and 15.7 runs the same night. Im sure I can find his time slips on DesertTuners and post them up for you if you like?

Sunday, May 03, 2009 9:44 PM
KFLO wrote:
stephen steele wrote:well i guess the next time i go to the track ill put some 14" steelies on and see what i run. maybe put it in the low 9's

Not hardly. You guys are expecting way too much from minor mods in this thread... You might lose a couple tenths in the 1/8th miles, TOPS. That is only if the tires you have on the 14s can obtain equal traction to your 18s.

For the thread starter, I think what people are getting at is that you can still get faster and closer to 15 flat without drag radials.

Personally I think hoping to go from 15.487 to a 14.9 is pretty damn hopeful, perhaps a bit too hopeful. You're going to have to launch the hell out of the car, and without a 2.0x 60' it just won't happen on the big end.

Wait dont be too sure of your self here I was running 16.6 in an auto 4 door sunfire.... With only putting on motor mounts and my 14" steeles I shaved over 1/2 of a second .6 to be exact and I have the slips to prove it... Now I know you cant say thats not a minor mod...

You have to remember every car is different, conditions are different, there is so many variables you can't really compare what one car will do as opposed to another....

Sunday, May 03, 2009 11:45 PM
EcoCav (DesertTuners) wrote:Also for the AZSRA car show and race this month, M2 ran 15.9 most of the night with his 17" wheels and swapped out to some stock steelies that night and ran several 15.6 and 15.7 runs the same night. Im sure I can find his time slips on DesertTuners and post them up for you if you like?

yup true story right there except i was running an average of 16.2 with the 17s and then a 15.7 with the steelies.

im not gonna go any say anyhting like im the greatest driver in the world but i will say this... im a consistant driver and all of my times are ALWAYS within about a tenth of each other

there was a huge difference with the smaller wheels.

rotational mass > you

/thread

Eat my shift
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search