Suspension and Tire settings for Quarter mile - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Suspension and Tire settings for Quarter mile
Friday, April 03, 2009 5:41 AM
My mods are in my registry. I'm looking to optimize strut firmess and tire pressure for drag racing.

I'm running 205/60/15 street tires and tein stechs/koni yellows.

My thoughs: Rear: Tire pressure maxxed out (~44psi), firmest setting on the struts. This reduces rolling resistance in the rear and also reducses weight transfer to the rear.
Front: I'm thinking to start with tire pressure ~25psi and struts on half way to fill firm. This is where i need help...

I don't anticipate too much wheel hop because i have poly trans/motor mounts and poly control arm bushings, but i could be wrong. After the first run I'll make changes based on what it does off the line, but it would be nice to get it as close to optimal from the start as possible.

Comments?

Re: Suspension and Tire settings for Quarter mile
Friday, April 03, 2009 12:28 PM
Personally I have found the following to be the best setup for my car:

Rear struts to full firm
Rear Tires to 40-45psi

Front struts to full soft
Front tires to 28-30psi

I've tired running lower pressure in the front tires but I always seem to run slower and get worse 60ft. I know on radial tires if you run them to low on air the center section will lift up and decrease traction so that might be the problem. On the same hand, others run better times with lower pressures so I'm not sure whats going on there.

As for the front struts, I had them at full soft since it seemed to help control wheel hop, you probally won't have that problem like you said.

You are definitly on the right track tho, try out what you listed and fiddle with it from there.

My one suggestion is to start out with a higher front tire pressure than 25, say 30psi, and lower it from there a few pounds each run till you find what works best.

Good Luck!

Friday, April 03, 2009 7:11 PM
I have to agree,I found psi set between 26 and 30 worked good for me but hey that is what test and tune day is all about

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Saturday, April 04, 2009 10:52 AM
rear to full firm, tires to maximum recommended pressure.

front to full soft, then back up two clicks. front tires at 20psi (drag radials)

if it hops, launch at a higher rpm. Don't be afraid to try 4000rpm.. my ex used to launch her 1SV at 4k on street tires, and so did I. We both used to run high 14s all day.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search