installing a push button start - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
installing a push button start
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:10 PM
I have an 97 z24 (2.4 ld9) automatic

i have owned the car since late 2005

and have had the ignition switch replaced twice

once in late 2006 and again in mid 2008 & @ $225 a pop it is getting quite expensive
(i have put 19,000 miles on the car since i bought it)

both times previous it has fried the starter circuit in the switch it's self

and once again the switch is out again and i am getting extremely irritated replacing the damn thing

so what i am wanting to do is install a push button starter switch with a fuse so i don't have to replace the damn thing every 16 months when it blows out
but have the main power still coming from the factory ignition switch so i don't have to install a secondary kill switch

Re: installing a push button start
Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:43 PM
why is this in racing?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 1:44 AM
well a push button i thought worked best in the racing application forum since that's where they are mostly used for the better half of there life!

any way i forgot to ask if any one had a wire diagram of the factory ignition setup as i have yet to find one

Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:15 AM
If it keeps giving you problems then just get rid of it, why do you need one anyways?

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:46 AM
Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:16 AM
i never hold the ignition switch longer than a second and the car starts up the dealer ship said the switch was not covered by the warranty i guess ill just go down and show them this.

they said they would only cover the relay not the switch we will see since its a gm recall and i have replace it 2 times already...

Thursday, March 12, 2009 12:03 PM
recall.

this has law suit written all over it....

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:04 PM
the local dealer ship i called says it only covers a thermo relay wire harness and not the ignition switch i would have to pay for that...

Friday, March 13, 2009 2:40 AM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:recall.

this has law suit written all over it....

The recall was not for the switch but for a relay. Also was not for the switch going bad, but the car catching on fire.

FU Tuning

Friday, March 13, 2009 12:52 PM
i seem to remember hearing something about the ignition switch heating up while cranking, to the point that the key would get hot, and that the recall was supposed to fix that. dont remember too clearly however...

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Friday, April 10, 2009 8:37 PM
You can buy the switches at the auto parts store. Theres only 3 wires to hook up if I remeber correctly one wires to the starter, one wire to the ignition that's hot and the 3 one is the ground wire. Very simple should run like $20.00 plus wiring

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search