Circle Track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Circle Track
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:56 AM
Looking for anyone who may be up to date about the 1992 2.2 cavalier engine for circle track racing. Curious about possible improvements.

Re: Circle Track
Wednesday, May 13, 2009 4:27 PM
This one is from the Performance Forum and here's another. The difference is that you have a flat hydraulic cam and TBI.

Also look up Bob Guptill's threads about his motors and Raymond Soos has some good stuff too. Use the search feature in this forum and in the Performance forum, use the advanced search feature and exclude replies, to get just the subject of each thread. I did a quick one using "2.2" as the key words and cam up with many threads. You'll then have to fish through the threads to find the info that suites you application.

Thursday, May 14, 2009 6:05 AM
Thanks MadJack for the info. If I may ask i see you have a ton of information i would like your advise. I tryed the roller rocker set up on my 1992 2.2. I have the Magnum rockers. The push rod would rub on the head where they go through to the lifters. I am thinking about grinding out the head in that area for more clearance, What are your thoughts. How much room do I have for grinding in this area. They did not rub real hard but enough to make it impossible to run that way.
Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:51 PM
If you went up to the 1.6 rockers the guide plate is the real concern. If the push rod is rubbing on the head, you'll have to pull the head and grind the hole about 1/16"-1/8", or just get the nest bigger drill bit and drill it out. I'm sure you know not to try to drill or grind there with the head on, no way to keep the shavings from dropping down into the cam galley.

Friday, May 15, 2009 3:39 AM
we do a lot of stuff with stock and aftermarket paerts, figure outwhat your rules will allow and also what kind of track is it
Friday, May 15, 2009 4:34 AM
Thanks Jack the head is already off. So grinding or drilling is very possible at this point. I was just not sure how far to go with it. Bob it is a 7/16 semi banked asphalt track.
Friday, May 15, 2009 7:46 PM
we arent allowed ri\ollers, so we runa custom ground circle track cam and use a diffr\erent rocker stud and ball, then raise compression as much as possible we either run flat tops or shave teh head .100 plus
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 4:54 AM
By shaving the head that far or running a cam does there need to be anything done tuning wise. Or will the stock computer configuration work ok with that set up. It would be great if I could just shave the head or replace the cam and go.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 12:33 PM
if you do a cam make sure it is not to agressive like mine are or tuning will be needed
Tuesday, May 19, 2009 6:44 PM
I've got a custom regrind by Mike Jones at Jones Cam Designs. I'll know how well it idles and runs, once I get my head back from the machine shop. Give Mike a call with the specs of the motor and what kind of power range your looking for, he'll design a profile just for your application. Bob uses Cams Northeast, he can do the same.

Look into the Comp Cams 26981 "Bee-Hive" Valve Springs to handle the lift and rpms you might end up with. These springs will drop right in place of the stock springs, no additional work required.

Look into a custom chip for the PCM, there are still a few places that burn chips left.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 8:06 AM
Any suggestions on who still does chips for the 1992 2.2. Also if I just shave the head how far can I go without doing any other modifications. I have already went 10.

Gerry

Friday, May 22, 2009 10:36 PM
.010? we shave ours .150 in some cases
Monday, July 06, 2009 10:48 AM
Gerry Shepard wrote:Any suggestions on who still does chips for the 1992 2.2. Also if I just shave the head how far can I go without doing any other modifications. I have already went 10.

Gerry

Back to the top for the question about chips. I have a 1993 2.2 that I race on dirt. I can't find anyone who does chips for them to save my life.
Monday, July 13, 2009 5:08 PM
I have .bin files somewhere (I hope) if you can find someone to reflash it for you. My EPROM burner died a few years ago...

On the '93, you would be surprised how much power you can get - the spark curve is granny-safe, and advancing that a bit really wakes it up.. especially throttle response.I actually changed the constant so the whole spark table changed. Here's some old old posts that may help..

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2342

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2344

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2341

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2339

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2335

Re-reading those old posts make my head hurt! I forgot how hard we worked on developing stuff back in the dark ages!

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 7:37 AM
Thanks much for the info. You ain't kidding, I might as well be reading Russian cookbooks when I read those posts. They are WAYYYYYY above my level.

All I need is someone that I can send my ECM to, tell them what (admittedly mild) mods have been made to my engine, and then ask them to perk it up however necessary.

I am getting killed because most of the Cavaliers and Neons at are track are newer models and have ALL been chipped and/or reprogrammed.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009 3:43 PM
there are tricks you can get past tech... lol

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009 11:11 PM
Why does everyone assume just cause a car is fast it must have been "chipped". I get that all the time at the track, I'm only fast cause i'm light as hell and spent hours playing with suspension geometry so it turns amazing.

Of course a little extra motor never hurts.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 7:44 AM
I'm not "assuming" that the newer cars have been chipped. I have been told that by the drivers of those cars. I have even had them ask what year mine is, and when I tell them it is a '93 and the last of the OBD Is, they say, that's a bummer.

Trust me, I have spent hours working on handling and setup. But good handling in the corners only gets so far when people are cruising by on the straights.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:29 PM
You should talk to the guys on v6z24 they are into reprograming the obd 1 stuff. That or swap out the harness for an obd2 one out of a newer car.

You on dirt or asphalt? Just asking cause I found cornering made a world a diffrence on asphalt. I'm still bone stock and I pull on 90's preludes, neons and nissan 240's in the straits cause i get a better run off the corner. Roll center and bumpsteer were the biggest contributors, but I'm allowed to swap out and cut my springs and play with all that stuff. depends on your rules i guess. If you can get a hold of a spring rater they can tell you a lot.

Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:05 PM
my car si all handling as well, i can hold my own on the straights just not beat them,a lot of a cavaliers problem is gearing, we are searching for the right gear ratio combo
Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:41 PM
The isuzu trans has an endless amount of gears to choose from. Hunt around on the isuzu storm forums and websites and you'll find the diffrent ratios. Certian models have a 4.11 diff, also a 2.4 trans is susposed help get the revs up as well but you have to swap bell housings. I havent looked into that to much.

I got lucky and my car is geared perfect in 3rd for my track. There is another track just down the road from where i run but its bigger and i tag the rev limiter at the end of the strait. Still fast there tho, but its hard on motors.

If you dont have a spec tire, just playing with tire sizes can get you where you need to be. I'm stuck with a 195/60/14 tho.

Friday, July 17, 2009 5:11 AM
I don't know if you caought the posts I've made about gearing ti the J's but there are a few options available with the Isuzu's in the J's let alone with the other cars.

5-speed manual
Isuzu MK7/MJ1

Layout : FWD transverse
Gear ratios:

1st :____3.91 (3.73 - Z24)
2nd :____2.18
3rd : ____1.45 (1.33 - Z24)
4th : ____1.03 (0.92 - Z24)
5th : ____0.74
Reverse: 3.58
Final
drive
Ratios : __3.58 (3.94 - Z24)

The gear sets and final drives can be swapped between the cases, or you can swap in from the sets from Isuzu cars also. The mauals transmissions are much easier to tear down and rebuild than automatics.

Monday, July 20, 2009 10:24 PM
Thanks for posting that MadJack, I've been looking for the 2.4 ratios. The 2.4 trans only bumps up the rpm a little in 3rd gear. I may give it a try, I havent done the math yet but it looks like i'll only gain 1 or 2 hundred rpm. might give me a little extra kick.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:29 PM
not all j's had those basic gears. i have aken apart 4 manuals trans and have 3 diffrent gear ratio sets, 1 of the trans was a 1.41 3rd, i forgot all the actual ratios i tink i wrote them down let me check mybooks, and a lot fo the rings and pinion gears were different numbers

we have found that a 1987 cav 2.0 5spd with a/c and power everything had a trans with the code 5ZJ and that transwas like 600 rpm higher than the others
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search