Automatic vrs Standard... how much better et's? - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Automatic vrs Standard... how much better et's?
Saturday, July 11, 2009 11:33 PM
IMO the only benifiet of an auto is consistency in drag racing. But it comes at the price of drive train loss and weight, plus if its also a dd then you are also bored.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:27 PM
Mr_Efficiency (Tyrin) wrote:IMO the only benifiet of an auto is consistency in drag racing. But it comes at the price of drive train loss and weight, plus if its also a dd then you are also bored.

very bored with my auto,but love it anyway

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:54 PM
An auto would be tempting for the frag strip since you could put a shift kit in it (or re tune line pressure) and install a trans brake..... dont know how well that would work on a J-body though......

Anyone ever put a trans brake on a Cavy?

Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:34 PM
just a shift kit,never even heard of a trans brake.....

Friday, July 24, 2009 10:57 PM
^^^^ Trans brakes are awesome....

When you have the car in drive...... you hold down this button that basically redirects the fluid into another gear your not in so the car acts like its in neutral..... then you can hold the rpms at wherever you want and when the light turns green you let off the button and a higher prm instanty putting power to the wheels and launching like a mofo...... it kinda feels like a neutral drop.... but it doesnt damage a bunch of crap and isnt as violent because the cars already in gear.....

Youd def want a trans cooler and good axles at the very least if you use one though...

Im not really sure if you can put one on a J-body or not....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:28 PM

Saturday, July 25, 2009 4:44 AM
This thread is getting dumbed down by the minute

Saturday, July 25, 2009 3:29 PM
^^^^^ obviously doesn't know a whole hell of a lot about the subject at hand.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 6:18 PM
Weebel wrote:OK if we are talking an actual race track and not a drag strip... then ya.... manual tranny no questions asked..

Ok, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:32 PM
^^^^^ Oh RLY?

I can guarantee you that over 90% of people that have done any kind of autocrossing or time attack racing will agree with me..

If your on a race track where you have to slow down, turn, and accelerate again (an actual race track not a drag strip) a manual transmission is a much better choice...

Sunday, July 26, 2009 2:47 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:
Weebel wrote:OK if we are talking an actual race track and not a drag strip... then ya.... manual tranny no questions asked..

Ok, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have an auto and totally agree with weebel, autocross sucks bad with an auto, the brakes heat up and you have to mash the brakes before the corners to slow down then stomp the pedal to get momentum back, with manual you downshift and it's much smoother, you keep the car in it's powerband.

Don't buy from MANTAPART!!
There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:21 AM
Sounds like both of you have never looked into what HPT can do for an auto at a race track.

As far as a drag strip......go back and re-read my first post in this thread.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:49 AM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:As for power loss through the different trans, it's generally about 20% with a 5spd and 30-35% with an auto. So, for the 180 CRANK HP cars on here w/ autos, That's why you are only making 125 whp at the dyno

I remember this one. You're a little off on these numbers. The power loss is more along the lines of mid to high teens for a manual and low twenties for an auto. You also gain low end torque with an auto, which means you can run a slightly higher gear. This doen't quite make up for the losses, but comes close and is, as stated previously, much more consistant.

The best transmission for drag racing, Lenko with the pnumatic shift system. It won't fit in a J though and I have yet to see a FWD J need anything that strong!

Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:11 PM
Ok, you got me. I was being a little conservative with those power losses. It is actually 15-18% for a 5 spd and 22-28% for an auto.

But, you forgot the first half of that same post of mine. That auto weighs a ton more than the 5spd. So, let's think about this. You get 10% more power and what......50 lbs less weight. Sounds like that is the best freaking mod you auto guys could ever do. Forget the bolt ons! haha

And as for this "consistency" bullsh!t.....you guys can drop that now as an argument for wanting an auto. There isn't one person that posted in here (or on this site maybe) that races in a points based drag race field. So, saying that you need the consistency of an auto over the power and weight savings of a 5 spd is horse sh!t. The only time an Eco J will need to switch to an auto is when he wants to rev past 8k rpms and is making more than 600 hp. Which if you haven't read around these forums much is no one but Hahn. So, you really got one freaking guy on this entire flipping website that needs the auto to race.

So, that's it. End of argument. You guys for an auto have no argument. Your reasons are full of holes.

Ok, still don't believe me. If you can get your stuck up asses off this board long enough to go and check out what the trend setters of 4 cylinder FWD racing have done in terms of trannies, you'd see that Honda guys only run 5 speeds unless they are building a bracket racer or making 500+ whp in a drag ONLY car. Every single "street car", "weekend racer", or "street/strip car" has a damn 5spd. What else is there to say?

Sunday, July 26, 2009 4:14 PM
Boy, You get your panties in a bind easily! Talk about stuck up A$$es! You better look in a mirror!

I didn't say anything about the rest of your post. For the most part I agree with what was said.

As for Adam Hahn, I've supported what he has said and done and never said anything about what he should do! (When some one questioned his numbers, who stepped up to his defence, even before he got to see the post?)

And I have known a few people who have raced FWD autos, they did run in points brackets, to include an Aeries K Wagon with the Dodge 2.2 OHC and auto who had a number of wins, to include a couple of track division championships. He was slow as hell, but the most consistant car and driver I have ever seen. Oh, and what type of racing was done at the Bash this year?

Most of my racing experiance came before my last deployment, now all I have time or money for is a little tinkering (being a good father is way more important than any car). If I were to get in to and build a race car, if it's bracket racer or a monster motor beast, it would be an auto. For circle track, road race/autocross car or an all out small to mid size engine drag car, I'd run a manual.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 11:06 PM
OMFG LOL

Automatics are more consistent in drag racing.... (or at least more easily consistent)

And manuals are better for auto X type tracks (F1 cars and GT cars are manuals) Even nascar uses manuals and they only drive in circles most the time..

I cant believe some people argue proven and well known fact.

Sure you can get an auto to work in auto X.... but its not ideal.

Friday, August 07, 2009 11:48 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:Ok, you got me. I was being a little conservative with those power losses. It is actually 15-18% for a 5 spd and 22-28% for an auto.

But, you forgot the first half of that same post of mine. That auto weighs a ton more than the 5spd. So, let's think about this. You get 10% more power and what......50 lbs less weight. Sounds like that is the best freaking mod you auto guys could ever do. Forget the bolt ons! haha

And as for this "consistency" bullsh!t.....you guys can drop that now as an argument for wanting an auto. There isn't one person that posted in here (or on this site maybe) that races in a points based drag race field. So, saying that you need the consistency of an auto over the power and weight savings of a 5 spd is horse sh!t. The only time an Eco J will need to switch to an auto is when he wants to rev past 8k rpms and is making more than 600 hp. Which if you haven't read around these forums much is no one but Hahn. So, you really got one freaking guy on this entire flipping website that needs the auto to race.

So, that's it. End of argument. You guys for an auto have no argument. Your reasons are full of holes.

Ok, still don't believe me. If you can get your stuck up asses off this board long enough to go and check out what the trend setters of 4 cylinder FWD racing have done in terms of trannies, you'd see that Honda guys only run 5 speeds unless they are building a bracket racer or making 500+ whp in a drag ONLY car. Every single "street car", "weekend racer", or "street/strip car" has a damn 5spd. What else is there to say?

50 pounds weight is @!#$-all, not even a half-tenth?.. I love my auto, it works great, can be rebuilt stronger and hpt can improve it a lot too...don't have to spend all this money the manual guys doe to fix problems, upgrade the clutch or replace the clutch...I know the way I drive if I had manual I'd be into it for a lot of money by now.

There is no easy ways to get HP, no magic box or gizmo... And if you get more hp, there's no way to make your car still behave and sound like a stock one. More hp usually makes your car louder, more vibrations and harder to drive...but still people hope or think maby there's some magic way to have it all, comfort, stock sound and drive.
Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:25 AM
The autos have an aftermarket for rebuilding to be stronger because they are so weak and sloppy in the first place.

All of what money are 5spd guys spending. $400 for a clutch?! Ok, and to get the same performance, auto guys buy HPT, rebuild it, and put in a stall converter. Uhhmmmm?? You just put in $2k to get the same performance and it's still massive huge in the engine bay and weighs more.

Once again, where's the advantage on the low end of drag racing? That was the original question right?

Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:13 PM
The automatic also transfers 90% of the available power until the TCC can engage. (then it's 100 Which doesn't come on til third iirc.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:03 PM
Anyone wanna compare timeslips for the whole consistency thing?

I'll be the 5spd guy i have numerous of the same times in one night.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:28 PM
ok ok friday i ran 14.9 15.00 all night one 15.1 first pass iirc

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:00 PM
I ran 15.3's all night once and was complimented on my consistency by a pro lol

Sunday, August 23, 2009 7:02 PM
Ok, so now the 5spd has in it's favor:

weight, power, space, price, consistent, fun.........did I leave anything out?

Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:32 PM
SO basically... auto is more consistent up to the point that driving skills are good enough in a manual... then its about even....

If you can drive... you can be consistent with a manual.... its just "easier" with an auto.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:22 PM
Vitamin E (AKA Eddie) wrote:Ok, so now the 5spd has in it's favor:

weight, power, space, price, consistent, fun.........did I leave anything out?

Auto still has the advantage for consistency and maintenance costs (and stop and go driving). I drive my car hard and have put 0 dollars toward the transmission save for fluid change, Anyone that has driven theirs as hard with a manual will have no doubt by now replaced stock clutch with an upgraded one or damaged/worn stock one prematurely and needed to replace/upgrade... a clutch with labor cost to install is around $1400, sure some people can replace their own, but most don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:23 PM

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search