tires for the track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tires for the track
Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:03 PM
Well next sunday ill be making the trip to the drag strip two hours away, for those of u who are wondering ive got an 04 cavalier with saab setup with a mitsu turbo on 8 psi. right now im on some 18 inch msr wheels with 225/40/18 tires noooowww should i swap out the 18's for my 14 inch steelies? the have almost new tires they are 195's or 205's i think so theyre pretty thin. only thing is im racing my friend in his stock srt4 and another friend in his 94 civic hatchback with a type r motor swap with high compression pistons boltons and a tune so i just want the extra edge and im wondering if the weight difference between the two will justify swapping out hte 18's for the stock steelies?

Re: tires for the track
Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:22 PM
get some drag radials or slicks...
Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:08 PM
no money for drag radials or slicks and plus i run the car at the track maybe once a year since ive bought it three years ago, so 120 a drag radial that im only gonna use once isnt really worth it to me wen i could pay rent or bills, lets try to stay on topic here any one else have anything to add? i know skwirl was running on the stock tires and steelies and doin alright i wonder if it matter that im boosted and he was na at the time?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:21 PM
run the steelies

FU Tuning

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:09 PM
Anyone else?

Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:13 PM
steelies FTW!

Thursday, June 11, 2009 5:59 PM
Well I guess steelies it is haha I guess ill just see how it goes ill try a couple launches and maybe put the tires down to about 25psi or so? Hopefully they grip

Friday, June 12, 2009 1:42 PM
Steelies.. Try and get a video if its possible

Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:35 AM
yea im lookin for a camera matt but for right now i guess theyre just gonna be vids off my blackberry

Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:44 PM
Steelies. You'd be surprised how much of a difference this makes.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 8:55 AM
Sounds good hopefully thell make a big differenve

Monday, June 15, 2009 7:24 AM
Air them down to about 28psi, go around the water-box, if possible, and a quick squawk from the tires to scrub them (long or smokey burnouts only make the street compounds greasy). If you can get ahold of some VHT Track Bite, brush a few coats on a couple days before, but don't drive to the track on them.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 7:34 PM
Lol well it looks like ill be running on the 18's unless I just use two stock wheels in front, went out to my parents place and found two wheels were missing so it looks like someone was in need of some cav steelies and decided to take mine haha

Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:41 PM
stock eagle rsa's always hooked decent for me. Have pulled 2.0 60' many times with them on about 28psi

Friday, June 19, 2009 8:31 AM
All you need primarily ar the two on the front. That's the inertail weight the engine is trying to move, the rears aren't as big of a deal.

Friday, June 19, 2009 9:38 PM
Yea well maybe ill throw em in the trunk lol and change em out there

Monday, June 29, 2009 5:05 PM
Did you run it Randy?

Friday, July 03, 2009 8:00 PM
The larger sidewall tires are better. I see a nite and day difference in traction between my 215/55/16's (cheap sumitumo htr's) and 225/45/17's (Falken azenis too)

Saturday, July 04, 2009 8:22 AM
cavipower1 wrote:i wonder if it matter that im boosted and he was na at the time?

Yes, that will be a HUGE difference. You've got more hp and tq than he had.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search