98 sunfire - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 sunfire
Saturday, April 04, 2009 1:45 PM
hey guys i have a 98 sunfire circle tracker and it'll only start an run for a second or two.i've tried the securirty thing were i start it and leave it in the on position for awhile, but it didn't help. it just fires up and shuts off! any ideas as were to start looking or checking would be appreciated.i bought the car for my 14 year old an he's standing on his head to go practice. so please help us.

Re: 98 sunfire
Saturday, April 04, 2009 2:49 PM
its a theft system failure there are 4 parts madatory to make it run, computer, gauge cluster, key, and tunbler all have to be in correctly and coded to each other to run. the local gm dealer could get you a schematic to let you know about waht parts are involved in the theft system
Saturday, April 04, 2009 5:51 PM
i had the same problem with mine changed the gage cluster and it fired right up
Monday, April 06, 2009 12:44 AM
If the security doesn't get you anywhere it might be the map sensor. I had an issue like yours with my neon, engine would fire for about 3 seconds then just nothing. Changed the map sensor and it ran fine after that.
Sunday, July 05, 2009 7:45 AM
we had the same problem and it was a ground wire near the washer bottle that was disconnected that fixed it. I know it sounds crazybut it was the problem , I guess one leg of the ground is shared with the security part of the PCM.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search