First run and really bad wheel hop - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
First run and really bad wheel hop
Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:04 AM
I ran for the first time today, I got a 15.45 best time. Horrible 60 foot and really bad wheel hop. Motor mounts will get rid of most wheel hop right?

Re: First run and really bad wheel hop
Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:22 AM
also I had on some 16" z24 wheels with 60 profile tires, Would putting on 14" steelies in the front help, the tires are smaller also in total diameter
Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:26 AM
both will help, probably more so with the tires then the mounts. that's also something you just have to learn to feel out. Just remember, spinning is waaaaay better then hopping. If you're hopping do something to stop immediately, you WILL break something

Saturday, June 13, 2009 9:35 AM
i try to just let off and grip then go, slower but wont break stuff. im gonna try different tires yet, heading back up soon. thanks for the input!
Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:57 AM
Wheel hop = control arm bushings. Made a huge difference in my car. First time to the track I got wheel hop so bad my wipers turned on and my cig lighter flew out. Now I get no wheel hop.

Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:57 AM
I have full suspensin, bushings, motor/trans mounts and i still get MASSIve wheel hop even with a LSD. Wheel hop isnt going to be magically fixed just from control arm bushings.

]:-> 287 TimeSlips In Hand. Car Still Runs Strong... 3 Differentials Later ]:->
Sunday, June 14, 2009 12:18 PM
you need to stiffin the dampening

Till the hood comes off, till the gas runs out, Till my legs give out, can't shut my mouth, Till the smoke clears out - am I high? Perhaps
I'ma boost this @!#$, till the rods collapse
Monday, June 15, 2009 10:08 AM
Schnupper wrote:I have full suspensin, bushings, motor/trans mounts and i still get MASSIve wheel hop even with a LSD. Wheel hop isnt going to be magically fixed just from control arm bushings.

Stop racing on 17's and get some 14-15 inch DR's or slicks.

Friday, June 19, 2009 10:09 AM
Also, you may need to launch @ a higher RPM and use more clutch - don't just dump it, ease it out quickly...

Friday, June 19, 2009 11:15 PM
I dumped it my first and second run and got my worst wheel hop but my best times. I started to ease into it more but I need to get used to the traction I get there. I got my new bushings today so once I get them installed and get my motor and trans mounts Ill try them out.
Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:19 AM
seat time > any mod

Saturday, June 20, 2009 5:30 AM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:seat time > any mod

I run 12s all day with 60K+ miles on my stock mounts...

Learn to control the hop...

Oh and tires help a lot too...

Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:39 PM
i have the tranny+motormounts and slicks and the car never hops now
Monday, June 22, 2009 5:39 AM
Schnupper wrote:I have full suspensin, bushings, motor/trans mounts and i still get MASSIve wheel hop even with a LSD. Wheel hop isnt going to be magically fixed just from control arm bushings.

Put some aluminum control arms with bushings in...

Monday, June 22, 2009 6:40 AM
Where am I able to get a team green lsd from and how much are they?
Sunday, June 28, 2009 7:21 AM
wheel hop + cd player = cd player on the floor.......fail

Monday, July 06, 2009 12:07 PM
got my new bushings in, hopefully reduces some wheel hop when I go back up in 2 weeks
Monday, July 06, 2009 8:24 PM
Motor mounts do very little in the way of wheel hop. Its part of the equation but not the total solution. Wheel hop is caused by toe changes, mostly from quick launches, the tires are moved further in the wheel well. Tires do not fix it, niether do LSD's or sway bars. Shocks being stiffer can help. Control Arm bushings make a huge difference. Axle alignment can also be a cause and alot of times lowering a car worsens the problem.

I don't care how much seat time you have, a driver cannot fix poor suspension geometry and parts that don't properly do the job.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:08 PM
I put in control arm bushings, not any mounts
Tuesday, July 07, 2009 4:24 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:Motor mounts do very little in the way of wheel hop. Its part of the equation but not the total solution. Wheel hop is caused by toe changes, mostly from quick launches, the tires are moved further in the wheel well. Tires do not fix it, niether do LSD's or sway bars. Shocks being stiffer can help. Control Arm bushings make a huge difference. Axle alignment can also be a cause and alot of times lowering a car worsens the problem.

I don't care how much seat time you have, a driver cannot fix poor suspension geometry and parts that don't properly do the job.

I disagree, completely.

Race on a set of bias-ply drag slicks and you will see.

My car had alot of hop, motor/tranny mounts and aluminum control arms helped alot...but wasn't 100% gone.

Since I got the slicks my car hasn't even thought about wheel hop, tire takes all the imperfections in geometry as well as the impact from hard launches.

Poor suspension geometry = Fixed.

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:45 AM
Where abouts can someone find the aluminum control arms?
I'm having the same problem as the OP, and if I could get the hop fixed I'd be seeing a 13.8 easily

Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:10 AM
I have Poly Trans mounts, LZM motor mounts and was racing on M&H slicks and didnt have any wheel hop at all

Sunday, July 12, 2009 11:48 AM
I do have poly trans mounts lying around waiting for me to put them in.
Is it worth the time? I'd have to remove part of my intercooler piping just to get to one of them, and I don't have a lift, just 2 stands and a jack..
Hope this information can help the OP and Me too.

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:35 PM
I love my new control arm bushings. I had no wheel hop with my steelies on. If I woulda had better tires I woulda done alot better. I got a 15.43 best spinning out of the hole badly. If I coulda hooked up I woulda done much better. thanks for the infor on control arm bushings. best $$$ I ever spent,
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search