Couple of questions about running at track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Couple of questions about running at track
Monday, July 06, 2009 3:50 PM
My friends and I plan to go race at Ubly Dragway this coming saturday.
First of all, Being I am boosted and have a FMIC would it be smarter to run with the front bumper off to get more airflow to the front and contributing to a cooler charge pipe?
Secondly, should I ice the turbo after each run to help cool it down?

This is my first time to the track. ANY pointers would be great and I will appreciate any advice.
I plan to run my 16" wheels on the front with good tire and my 17" motegis on the rear and air those up to reduce drag

Re: Couple of questions about running at track
Monday, July 06, 2009 4:41 PM
Didn't know you could ice down a turbo

Monday, July 06, 2009 4:47 PM
What I am meaning was ice the intercooler piping near the TB

Monday, July 06, 2009 4:56 PM
Quote:

First of all, Being I am boosted and have a FMIC would it be smarter to run with the front bumper off to get more airflow to the front and contributing to a cooler charge pipe?

i see people do that all the time. give it a try

Quote:

Secondly, should I ice the turbo after each run to help cool it down?

you can, but it will probaly heat up by the time you get to the line anyway.

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Monday, July 06, 2009 5:07 PM
alright, i will probably run with the bumper off as long as it isn't too much to take off when I get there.

Monday, July 06, 2009 5:38 PM
Its not worth the hassle. If you have a front mount intercooler on your car already that is plenty for a low boost saab setup. 6-8 psi on this turbo does not create that much heet.

Monday, July 06, 2009 6:38 PM
Any tips on weight reduction then?
other than what I already know: rear seat is coming out, tire and jack and rear carpeting, possibly door panels too. Passenger seat also

Monday, July 06, 2009 8:12 PM
if you have a half decent front mount, you should never have IAT issues with a turbo. Taking off the bumper is just stupid. Theres zero advantage to doing so, whatever perceived gain you might get your greatly eliminating by killing your aerodynamics which is far more important at high speed anyway. You shouldnt even need to pop the hood, throw those 16s on there and do your business. If your still having IAT issues get a proper intercooler, or a nitrous/co2 sprayer for it.

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:21 AM
Don't bother with all that weight reduction, combined all that stuff you have mentioned is about 80lbs.

Which isn't even good for a tenth in the 1/4.

Concentrate the most on just learning the car, you will get alot farther and way better times learning your car compared to trying all those silly little tricks for better times you had mentioned.

It takes practice and you won't be a drag racing superstar right off the bat, so don't be discouraged, learn what works and what doesn't for you and your car. Just cause it works for other people doesn't mean it will work for you.

Definitly run the 16's tho, the more sidewall the better.

Have fun!

Tuesday, July 07, 2009 8:31 AM
Do this: Cooling fan override mod

--------------------------
NCR-SCCA
Wednesday, July 08, 2009 11:16 AM
Rodimus Prime wrote:if you have a half decent front mount, you should never have IAT issues with a turbo. Taking off the bumper is just stupid. Theres zero advantage to doing so, whatever perceived gain you might get your greatly eliminating by killing your aerodynamics which is far more important at high speed anyway. You shouldnt even need to pop the hood, throw those 16s on there and do your business. If your still having IAT issues get a proper intercooler, or a nitrous/co2 sprayer for it.
x2

use a nice larger fmic, but instead of a nos/co2 sprayer go with ice boxes. its 2 open top metal boxes with hinged lids and drain bolts, welded around the charge lines on both sides of the fmic. fill with ice, a little water and that should drop iat/mani/charge pipe temps close to ambient temp. and for every degree the air and charge system is dropped below ambient temp. equals in a 2-4% increase in efficency when it comes to changing heat and pressure to energy to spin the turbine. resulting in more power per lb of boost.(if you make ice boxes seal them from the inside with silicone so pinholes from welding wont leak)

another method is the water tube, assuming you use 2 1/2in pipes. take 2 1/2 feet of the charge lines before the throttle body and wrap 1/4in copper or brass tubing around the whole lenght of the pipe in a tight coil leaving about 3 inches of pipe un wrapped. then slide a 3in pipe 2ft long over it, run the tubing out the ends and fab end plates with a hole for the tube to go through. then weld the pipes to the endplates. then braise fittings on the ends of the tube pieces sticking out of the endplates, to hook to a oil/tranny cooler with a small pump inline to pump coolant and waterwetter. the tubing acts as the reseviour.(sleeper water-air intercooler)

Wednesday, July 08, 2009 7:55 PM
Instead of @!#$ around with stupid ice and water why not add a Meth Kit ?

Saturday, July 11, 2009 6:15 PM
well just got back tonight.
best run was a 14.2 @ 100mph. My 60' was a 2.3 IIRC

I didn't even launch, i tried a launch at 3.5k and had wheel hop from hell, so i didn't bother revving to launch after that. I just gave it hell after about 4k rpm in 1st gear.
If I can figure out launches and control the wheel hop, I'm positive 13's are in sight.

Saturday, July 11, 2009 9:37 PM
What are you running for Rims and Tires?

Mounts?

Saturday, July 11, 2009 10:39 PM
I had my stock 16" ls sports on the fronts with General Exclaim UHP Tires
Full RK Sport Motor Mounts, Lowered on Eibach Sportlines and Koni Reds.

I might go to the junkyard and find some 14" steelies with some decent tire on them and run those

Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:40 PM
Pretty good Slocav! I can't wait to get my saab setup finished and installed. I just need a few more parts and then i will be good.

Sunday, July 19, 2009 4:04 AM
MY .02 on this. Try giving it more of an ease on the clutch getting out of the hole. Will not only help u not hop but will also save you differential And could bring your 60ft times down. 2.3 is pretty high. And also dont ice the turbo many tracks will warn you once then if they see it again will give you the boot. Well atleast the tracks around here. What tires are you running? ""Yes get some 14 steelies and may i suggest getting 215/60R14 G-Force T/A Drag radials. These tires are pretty nice at the track. I have used this before on multiple cars. Very big sidewall and pretty damn wide. Let us know how it goes next time!! Nice times btw. Best of luck with the car!!!

]:-> 287 TimeSlips In Hand. Car Still Runs Strong... 3 Differentials Later ]:->
Monday, July 20, 2009 10:41 AM
I am actually going again this saturday for the bracket races. I will be running on my general excalim uhp's again. I don't have the money right now for the drag radials...even though I have the steelies here. I put in poly trans mounts and should have a subframe brace on the way soon.

I just need to get more time in the lane to get used to it.

Monday, July 20, 2009 7:44 PM
get some control arm bushings. may not eliminate wheel hop completely but a world of difference for me this past weekend. no wheel hop at all with my cav. also the smaller steelies help
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search