'00 Cavalier Rear Springs - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
'00 Cavalier Rear Springs
Monday, July 27, 2009 1:19 PM
i am running on 3/8 semi banked oval asphalt and need some advice on rear springs. I know someone on here has found a stock spring setup that breaks the car loose in the center of the corner. What I need is a stiff spring on the RR and a softer on the LR -- any advice

Re: '00 Cavalier Rear Springs
Monday, July 27, 2009 1:23 PM
this is where adjustable aftermarket struts come in hand. are you able to run them?

Monday, July 27, 2009 2:11 PM
no, we cannot run aftermarket anything -
Monday, July 27, 2009 2:30 PM
then how are you going to be able to run a stiffer spring?

you could put a WELL used one on one side and a brand new one on the other

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 7:26 AM
Are you allowed spring rubbers? Those can help out big time. If not just double or tripple up the rubber spacers under the spring on the right side or make up some sort of spacer for the top perch where nobody can see it.
I know Z24 springs are shorter and stiffer. I had them on a spring rater. Other than that your best bet is to do what I did and search the wrecking yards with a tape measure and find similar looking springs. Then find yourself a spring rater and spend a day checking them all. Free height and lbs per inch of compression is all you need assuming the spring fits in the perch, then go from there.
I had a set of aftermarket springs I rated but they were junk, they were softer in the front and rediculously soft in the rear. I ended up going with cut stock springs in the end and a few rubbers here and there depending on what the car is doing.
I can dig up the actual rates if you're interested so you can see the diffrences. Now remember the exact springs I measured may vary a little from the ones you get but it will give you some ball park figures. I found all springs out of the same applications seem vary as much as 10 pounds of each other, but there may also be a diffrence in years.

What makes you think you need diffrent rear springs, whats the car doing? Sway bars and sway bar preload can be a huge help as well. Thats the key to taming the notorious fwd push from my experience.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:10 PM
Too bad you couldnt run Helper Bags on the car

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:46 PM
Helper bags?

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:32 PM
Last i knew helper bags were more for heavy duty hauling situations, not performance.

Tinkles

2003 Cavalier 1SV
Bagged and Blown

Wednesday, August 05, 2009 4:31 PM
...Depends.... on GTO's they have them....

Drag Bags!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 2:29 PM
Does the sway bar matter on dirt?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search