so how are you mid/low 14 n/a boys doing it?? - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
so how are you mid/low 14 n/a boys doing it??
Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:08 AM
id just like to see whats going on with you guys doing such good n/a times, i know most do it with drag radials and thats a big push but some did it on street tires. i also realize different tracks and altitudes make the difference but there are so many different times from different areas out there that id just like some help seeing how you guys did it...

ok so i have been watching j-bodies around my area (there hasn't been that many) for the better part of a decade now at the local tracks...most barely break into the 15's modded, 5 speeds, auto's, you name it. even the boosted cars as well as the nitrous cars arent putting down extremely impressive numbers. best 75 shot is a 14.6, best m45 is a 15.6, even an m62 s/c 2.4 only did a 14.9. until i saw paul tjepkes run a 14.8 N/A last night his very first trip out to the track in his life i was pretty skeptical on how those amazing times were really accomplished n/a.

all i could muster with mine was a 15.4 over 6 years ago. we couldn't tune back then and i couldn't manage to keep the car running long enough to utilize the new parts i would install each time i blew something up so i never got to really see what it could do. the car put down 151whp back then, which as i see other cars running around here claiming the same power levels and running like mid 14's etc...

paul's car has thousands of dollars worth of stuff done, wayyyyy more than the average person on here. he needs practice and some good tires and i believe he will get down pretty low.

gary, how the f did you run a 14.7??? LOL please get in here!

i dont know i guess what i am trying to ask is, what are you guys that are running the best n/a times doing to get them? does your guys local trap prep extremely well or something?

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.

Re: so how are you mid/low 14 n/a boys doing it??
Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:33 AM
i ran a 14.471 last year brad get it right lol and video to prove it

Saturday, August 15, 2009 2:06 PM
Race at ATCO

Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:15 PM
Tyler Wichers wrote:i ran a 14.471 last year brad get it right lol and video to prove it

ya so did shawn rulhand thundervalley timing sucks

and paul hasnt been tuned in 2 years

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, August 15, 2009 4:18 PM

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Saturday, August 15, 2009 6:07 PM
depends on track i run about .5 faster in grande prairie then edmonton and .5 better in calgary then grande prairie, but minus cams im build and don't weight much, but I believe garys times, but its the driver not the car, to hit 14s is easy but low 14s is harder, depends on setup and driver, i pulled great times last year, and expect better when go in 2-4 weeks as i want a run before i tune, you can havehigh hp, and still bad times, and crappy car go decent. Brad in edmonton knows my car hauls ass and after cams shes being tuned and 75 shot when i hit 14.0

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:26 PM
track prep for the win and paul could get alot more out of his engine i think

Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:50 PM
Less weight and more RPM. My car in race trim is usualy around 2780 with my 250 lb ass in it. Race trim is basicaly sans jack/spare and the upper part of the back seat. Say 40 lbs right there, and a 1/4 tank of gas or less. If only I were 50 lbs lighter. Heh. RPM is useful if you can make power with it. On a 24" tall tire (give or take a 1/4") I can finish the 1/4 at the top of 3rd, say around 7200-7300 rpm and pullin like a mofo. One less shift and a strong finish. A stock 2.4 might have trouble doing that, but port out the exhaust side and throw on some HO cams, it might stand a good chance if the oil pump keeps up.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:37 PM
ur car weighs that much and did a freaking 13.9? dear god.

im aiming for around 2600 with me in it for my n/a build.

what gets me is the fact that paul trapped 95mph but ran a 14.8. dear god there is so much room for improvement.

Saturday, August 15, 2009 11:43 PM
I got a ways to go to catch up with you guys. I got 16.27 today @ 85.67 mph thats my fastest time but I believe I also have a heavier car being that its a grand am.
Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:24 AM
z yaaaa wrote:ur car weighs that much and did a freaking 13.9? dear god.

im aiming for around 2600 with me in it for my n/a build.

what gets me is the fact that paul trapped 95mph but ran a 14.8. dear god there is so much room for improvement.

Hum, it might seem heavy to you because you don't have to worry about rules for other forms of racing. See in order to stay in the Street Mod autox class, all my weight loss has to be legal for that class. So to get a car thats usualy around 2800 lbs stock to right around 2500 lbs and stay SM legal is doing something. On top of that, how often do you cruise around the street with no interior whatsoever? How worried about a crash are you when you chop up the bumper supports or the door bars? Mine is still a street car, and has been modded to be as fast as it is ON THE STREET as well as on the track.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Sunday, August 16, 2009 11:49 AM
only things un-safe on your list there was drilling the bumper supports, which they are still structurally sound so crush should still be attained the same. and i ditched the air bags.

only thing my interior lacks is the fold down section of the back seat. all the rest remains. losing interior panels really doesnt add up to much. they are just plastic. id rather keep them in.

the car with me in it, 1/4 tank of gas and pretty much stock minus the spare tire weighed in at 2800lbs. losing the 200lbs was easy, i took out the entire heating/ac systems, wiper motor/wipers, air bags, and a few lightweight suspension components as well as a acc carpet that does not have the rubber glue crap on the bottom like stock.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:00 PM
Track time, track time, track time, track time, track time.

Most Jbody owner and honda owners do not really know how to drive, or think they can launch there car like this on the street, so they can do it on the track. What works on the street does not work at the track. I do not care if you have a auto, or manual practice, practice, practice.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 16, 2009 1:49 PM
z yaaaa wrote:only things un-safe on your list there was drilling the bumper supports, which they are still structurally sound so crush should still be attained the same. and i ditched the air bags.

only thing my interior lacks is the fold down section of the back seat. all the rest remains. losing interior panels really doesnt add up to much. they are just plastic. id rather keep them in.

the car with me in it, 1/4 tank of gas and pretty much stock minus the spare tire weighed in at 2800lbs. losing the 200lbs was easy, i took out the entire heating/ac systems, wiper motor/wipers, air bags, and a few lightweight suspension components as well as a acc carpet that does not have the rubber glue crap on the bottom like stock.

Thats stuff I can't take out, nor would want to realy. My car didn't come with AC from the factory, no worries there. The carpet is something I'd like to look into, as I still have to have it, but would like the later years non-rubber bottom type.

John Higgins wrote:Track time, track time, track time, track time, track time.

Most Jbody owner and honda owners do not really know how to drive, or think they can launch there car like this on the street, so they can do it on the track. What works on the street does not work at the track. I do not care if you have a auto, or manual practice, practice, practice.

Good call! I'm probably over 300 some odd runs in my car over the years, plus over 100 runs in other cars im sure. Add in all the autox and a track day or 2 also. All of it helps.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:21 PM
Cavfan1 wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:only things un-safe on your list there was drilling the bumper supports, which they are still structurally sound so crush should still be attained the same. and i ditched the air bags.

Thats stuff I can't take out, nor would want to realy. My car didn't come with AC from the factory, no worries there. The carpet is something I'd like to look into, as I still have to have it, but would like the later years non-rubber bottom type.

and your right, the newer carpet is this way. i bought a brand spanking new one from gm a couple years ago for my white car. it was a huge weight difference over the 98 carpet that came stock. i simply could not believe it. however... i didnt want to spend $400 for carpet again so thats why i went with the much cheaper acc mats one for the car i could care less about that kind of stuff in.

no ac, stock? hmmm... really... i didnt know you could get a 95 without it. thats news to me!!! probably where the ac bypass pulley comes from then, always thought it was weird how you could order one directly from gm and all cars came standard with ac.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 3:01 PM
Quote:

no ac, stock? hmmm... really... i didnt know you could get a 95 without it. thats news to me!!! probably where the ac bypass pulley comes from then, always thought it was weird how you could order one directly from gm and all cars came standard with ac

You could also get a 96 without AC as well. Reaper was made without ac.

CabFan1 I'm like you I have 250 or more track passes in a J, mostly mine. Still the last couple years I have not went ot the track much and see the difference. I need practice, and now my set-up has changed will need more.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 16, 2009 4:58 PM
N/A is for pussies

Lol jk with ya Brad. Big thing hurting you n/a is being auto as it did for me. Best I could pull back then was a 15.6 at like 88mph with full boltons, put on the m45 with 2.7 pulley no alchy or anything and ran a 14.8 at 92mph. Its cool to see n/a builds but say 13's are pretty much impossible without high compression, cams, tune, and a good driver with a good launch. I just couldnt see myself spending that much money just to run 14's.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:23 PM
lmao why does everyone assume im going n/a with my white car? it will be turboed. check my profile, mike. i have another, completely different car.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:35 PM
I don't see your weight getting down to 2600 with you in it buddy. Mine with a half tank and me in it is 2660, granted, still has mostly a full interior, but I'd venture I'm at least 50lbs lighter than you to start with.

Weight Reductions:
Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Trunk
Removed all stock seat belts
Removed All A/C components
Removed Rear Seat
Removed Rear Steel Bumper Support
Removed A good chunk of the front steel bumper
No Axle Back Exhaust

Granted I've got the additional weight of the turbo, fmic, and all the piping, but I'm just not seeing it, unless the car is completely gutted down.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:43 PM
Yes, I'm quite jealous of the newer 1SV (thats the El-stripo package right?) eco cars. Even a loaded 03+ LS sport is just over 2600 lbs. J's got lighter as they went on as the bean counters figured out what toss in order to save money.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:20 PM
Mine is an 01 started life as a completely stripped down base 2200, this thing didn't have a front sway bar stock. It just looks like an 03+ in almost every way.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:34 PM
well maybe the scales are different then because it weighed 2800lbs with me in it pretty much stock and like i said i have ditched all that stuff. i find it hard to believe that it only dropped 100lbs.

hell the ac stuff and heater box alone is probably 75lbs.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 8:59 PM
Yeah, I'm a little skeptical on the scale too, but it's brand new and the weight didn't change as I drove across it. Once it settled into the weight that was it until the front axle was off the scale again, then it started dropping. My skeptisim comes from knowing what stock is vs what the scale says now. I know that rear bumper steel is quite heavy.

I'd like to think it weighs about 2500 with me in it, but I'm just not sure. Either way, I've got the weight of mine down to where I wanted it according to that scale. Under 2500 is good for me.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 9:25 PM
you can actually completely ditch the rear support? doesnt the rear sag??

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:05 AM
icemike89 wrote:Its cool to see n/a builds but say 13's are pretty much impossible without high compression, cams, tune, and a good driver with a good launch.

if you leave out high compression, I'd buy that. cams, tune, good driver (maybe some headwork) and 13s are def possible.. you don't have to touch the bottom end.. I was .004 seconds away, remember? and that was on small cams and a really bad tune.

Monday, August 17, 2009 7:06 AM
does anyone know exact weight lost going with old style carpet instead of the new

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search