so how are you mid/low 14 n/a boys doing it?? - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: so how are you mid/low 14 n/a boys doing it??
Monday, August 17, 2009 10:53 AM
no but trust me, it IS worth it. hit up the junk yard.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.

Monday, August 17, 2009 12:02 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
icemike89 wrote:Its cool to see n/a builds but say 13's are pretty much impossible without high compression, cams, tune, and a good driver with a good launch.

if you leave out high compression, I'd buy that. cams, tune, good driver (maybe some headwork) and 13s are def possible.. you don't have to touch the bottom end.. I was .004 seconds away, remember? and that was on small cams and a really bad tune.

Yea I was mainly referring to ld9's as thats what Brad has, of course you and wenzel are the first that come to mind when I hear n/a. But has there even been an n/a ld9 that broke 13's? If anyone it would be Karo's old car but did he run his old motor n/a?

Monday, August 17, 2009 3:12 PM
yes. brandon blaga ran 13.9 a couple years ago... but it was a 2.3. purple 95 z.

Monday, August 17, 2009 3:19 PM
Karo's old motor is an LD9, and would have gone 13s NA in any car it was put in IMO. He is still atop the NA fast list at 13.1 at 102 er something. Mines not an LD9, its an LGO...

If only I had some $$$ and desire to do up an NA LD9 or just throw together a POS LD2 turbo race car.

13.934 @ 97.82 ALL MOTOR
Monday, August 17, 2009 3:30 PM
How about a 13.60 @ 100 mph LN2 with a 3sp auto!. Of course he ran the SDS EM-1F (older link than the 13.6) . SDS's first gen stand alone.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:39 PM
i find myself asking just the opposite question. how are there not more 14 sec n/a cars on this forum? a full bolt-on ld9 or ecotec should be a 14 sec car, no doubt about it. anything beyond bolt-ons should be good for at least low 14s.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 5:55 PM
randizzle wrote:i find myself asking just the opposite question. how are there not more 14 sec n/a cars on this forum? a full bolt-on ld9 or ecotec should be a 14 sec car, no doubt about it. anything beyond bolt-ons should be good for at least low 14s.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought this. All I did was put an eco in my car, and I'm into high 14s. I'm not exactly sure why it isn't more common.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:55 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:
randizzle wrote:i find myself asking just the opposite question. how are there not more 14 sec n/a cars on this forum? a full bolt-on ld9 or ecotec should be a 14 sec car, no doubt about it. anything beyond bolt-ons should be good for at least low 14s.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's thought this. All I did was put an eco in my car, and I'm into high 14s. I'm not exactly sure why it isn't more common.

IMO its too many people who are either not phyisically capable of doing any better, or not willing to put in the seat time to get faster, or they have a HUGE sub box in the trunk they are too stubborn to take out or something stupid like that. it bothers me when there are so many LD9's runnin around with the M45 kit that are barely touching 14's. no one person in particular, but i remember searching around like a year ago for people's times with the M45, and i was astonished at how slow the average 1/4 was. and then you look at a handful of guys running N/A or with nothing more than maybe an intake exhaust, maybe motor mounts and theyre running just as fast. @!#$ weird.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:25 AM
Thats cause half of us N/A guys are willing to put time and energy in developing and designing the cars to run right and learn our cars, and thn there are some guys that run at track once or twice and think car is slw so give up, Im not saying Im the fastest but within the next year I do plan on hitting 14.0 or less, I have the mods, and have the time, and all I keep doing is lightening the car only small amounts as I have a son so can't go too overboard, I have few more things left to do to her, but in the end going to catch the skwirl, and plan to past it lol, Guys like Paul that have the build, should be doing 13's easily with the right driver, but then again factors play in effect.....track prep, tuning, driver, weight (not so much), practice, and motivation. In my mind those are the only factors, but they are not excuses.

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:34 AM
Seat Time + Bolt-on's = 14's

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 1:20 PM
i heard my name in here wtf is goin ON!!!! hi folks.

um idk what happened. i let off the gas on my last runs to not break out my dial in those were my good runs too =/. 14.8 dial and i still broke it. prob had a 14.6 that last run but ran that 14.74. that day i ran nothing in the trunk. rk sport springs, blown struts, 00 z wheels, taller tires up front 205/60/16s i think(freebies cuz i was too poor back then to buy tires), i had no air bags, no a/c. as for motor, it was a 2000 block and pistons, 96 head and id have to say that bumped up my compression, secret cams, HO manifold, Pacesetter header with magnaflow hi-flow cat and my thermal r&d catback(all exhaust is for sale right now in the classifieds... shameless plug..), nvg trans, team green lsd, rc 320cc injectors, still running my auto pcm but had a manual tune flashed over via hpt and i changed the injector constant for the injectors as well bumped the revs to 7k. thats bout it. lol. it was nice to be able to run out 3rd gear and not have to shift to 4th.

i was trapping 95-96 all day long. i had 2.3 and 2.4 60s and one 2.2 60 foot. it was my first time at the track ever. couldnt hurt that it was a cooler day unlike the track day we had at the bash this yr.
the track i was at is known for their horrible track prep. rock falls in wisconsin.

id like to figure out the issue im having currently with the buttloads of knock. i logged it 3 times, once in OH at the bash, once in MN, and again in MN but running 92 octane. scans look the same for knock. i really wanna do some digging and find the problem cuz its robbing so much power. id love to go further into all of this but right now its looking like i may be parting out my car completely. a new car is calling and im bout to answer the phone. if i begin the stripping down of this 96 z then it will be worthless whereas now i can tear it apart and make it stock.

and you got me in here now brad, ask away!

what else you wanna know?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:20 PM
AJ B wrote:Thats cause half of us N/A guys are willing to put time and energy in developing and designing the cars to run right and learn our cars, and thn there are some guys that run at track once or twice and think car is slw so give up, Im not saying Im the fastest but within the next year I do plan on hitting 14.0 or less, I have the mods, and have the time, and all I keep doing is lightening the car only small amounts as I have a son so can't go too overboard, I have few more things left to do to her, but in the end going to catch the skwirl, and plan to past it lol, Guys like Paul that have the build, should be doing 13's easily with the right driver, but then again factors play in effect.....track prep, tuning, driver, weight (not so much), practice, and motivation. In my mind those are the only factors, but they are not excuses.

Your mods say 10:1 pistons, but says stock compression next to them. So which is it? 10:1 compression or stock compression?

FU Tuning

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:08 PM
eco engines initially are good for mid 15s if paired up with 5 speed and a good driver. bolt ons + tune will easily put you in 14s.
the rest is weight reduction (every car can be lightened by at least 100 lb), decent tires, track conditions, premium fuel, keeping your vehicle in top shape, etc.
taken all this into consideration you could run mid 14s all day long and you're just an average Joe, nothing special.
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:27 PM
funny... because the same night at the track i saw a bone stock eco AUTO CAR not break out of the 17's. i couldnt believe it. i thought they had at least 16's in them stock.

gary-so in other words... you got LUCKY. however.... ive been saying for years it would be ideal to throw an older head on a newer block. throw in a set of ss valves and deck the head to go even higher!

personally... from where i am standing i could care less if so and so ran 14's on a completely different track with a completely different car. from what i saw at the track paul's 14.8 was astonishing and a heard a lot of 'omfg was that just a cavalier?" because there were a ton of boosted cars there that werent getting the job done.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:48 PM
z yaaaa wrote:

gary-so in other words... you got LUCKY. however.... ive been saying for years it would be ideal to throw an older head on a newer block. throw in a set of ss valves and deck the head to go even higher!

this!!!!

and ya i prob got lucky. i also ran out of gas leaving the track. didnt want my car to heavy now did we haha

Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:27 AM
I have alsiemers lol(worng spelling I know), when my lazy ass typed it up was half asleep, and just never got around to fixing it

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, please dear God protect my ride." -Amen
Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:29 AM
Hmm, maybe I should use my 96-99 head I have sitting around if it will bump up compression a bit

One thing that would greatly help the n/a guys..ITB's! I would love to see a nice setup tuned for them. Did paul ever actualy do anything with his or sell them?

Thursday, August 20, 2009 8:46 AM
^^^ paul sold them to a buddy of ours, hes on here.... tyler wichers. as far as i know he's planning on running them with tons of spray.

yep, the older head has a little V shaped protrusion sticking out into the combustion chamber between the exhaust valves that the newer ones just do not have...

the newer heads actually have a nasty flow killer that protrudes into each exhaust port too...

Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:32 AM
icemike89 wrote:Hmm, maybe I should use my 96-99 head I have sitting around if it will bump up compression a bit

One thing that would greatly help the n/a guys..ITB's! I would love to see a nice setup tuned for them. Did paul ever actualy do anything with his or sell them?

ITB's would be nice but realistically all we need is some port work on the head and a good intake manifold setup. how most of us are running the HO manifold is kinda retarded. the transition and matching of ports we have with the flange adapter is junk. we need to open up those tiny ports and get the air flowing smoothly and we are golden. everyone would be running low 14's N/A if not 13's

Thursday, August 20, 2009 9:52 AM
newt wrote:Seat Time + Bolt-on's = 14's

Not with an auto. Only with a 5 speed.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, August 21, 2009 3:02 PM
... POS 95 Z24+ LG0+ NVG T550+ Tune from Brandon = 14.6's

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:07 PM
Paul will hit 13's if he gets a decent track and some decent tires. He told me he was running on some factory economy tires? With the trap he has he will be down there in no time.

Friday, August 21, 2009 4:43 PM
yea... his traps do spell n/a madness.

Friday, August 21, 2009 7:22 PM
bmxludwig wrote:Paul will hit 13's if he gets a decent track and some decent tires. He told me he was running on some factory economy tires? With the trap he has he will be down there in no time.

borrow someones winter tires. just no more excuses do it right!! get that damn car to the track and put down some good times pleassee!!!

Friday, August 21, 2009 10:43 PM
yea... no ish. his best trap was 95mph if i recall....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search