auto cav + technic m62 - Page 2 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: auto cav + technic m62
Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:28 PM
what i dont understand is how everyone thinks this time is pathetic.

most m45 kitted AUTO AUTO AUTO cars gain roughly a half of a second difference, some obviously have gotten more, but most dont get a whole lot from the kit.

cody ran a best of a 16.0 n/a. he then ran a 14.9 with the m62 setup with a basically stock tune.

tell me how that is pathetic? 1.1 SECONDS improvement is a hell of a jump.

Every time I scream "Release", I mean it, you know it. I feel the day. Black 7.

Sunday, August 16, 2009 5:48 PM
His time isn't "pathetic", it's just not what we expected with a bigger blower that's intercooled. It has a lot more in it. It sucks relative to what it's capable of.

I ran 14.8 with the MP45 and auto. The heat killed it. I was seeing 9-10 psi at night and some decent power, next day at the track on the hot day I'd see 4-5 psi and run 15.0 @ 96 MPH. JMDecals supposedly ran 13.9 with his MP45 and automatic... however I've never seen a video to prove that, and am highly skeptical that an MP45 with a stock pulley and stock engine rebuild can run that kind of time.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, August 16, 2009 6:27 PM
z yaaaa wrote:what i dont understand is how everyone thinks this time is pathetic.

most m45 kitted AUTO AUTO AUTO cars gain roughly a half of a second difference, some obviously have gotten more, but most dont get a whole lot from the kit.

cody ran a best of a 16.0 n/a. he then ran a 14.9 with the m62 setup with a basically stock tune.

You are correct that what he gained is good. I will agree. When you compare to other cars is when it seems weak, but he has gained alot and can gain much more in tuning.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 16, 2009 7:30 PM
how much larger is the older m62? i thought it was in between the eco/balt ss style m62 and the m45....

Monday, August 17, 2009 7:03 AM
z yaaaa wrote:lookie here star!

thank you and this coming weekend brad and i will try doing some tuning, alot with tranny tho. will try timing but im not really good with that at all so it will be what ever brad can do

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:55 AM
z yaaaa wrote:how much larger is the older m62? i thought it was in between the eco/balt ss style m62 and the m45....

\
???

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:50 PM
I had been told that the old m62 like on this setup was pretty inefficient compaired to the newer ones on the cobalts, etc. But still more efficient than an m45.

Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:15 PM
i cant wait for this weekend to tune can you guys give brad and i a heads up on what u would change? mods are in the profile

we know we need spark timing

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:51 PM
z yaaaa wrote:what i dont understand is how everyone thinks this time is pathetic.

im gonna be honest, yes it is an improvement but be realistic, boosted and high 14's almost 15's is very pathetic, not just for j cars but for any car. i would cry if i boosted a car to see it run that. its nothing to be proud of. Granted he needs to tune and other stuff, im not trying to knock him but ya know. N/A those times are nothing to be proud of. low 13's then ya its getting there, 12's now were talkin. remember these are econobox cars, a full second increase should be an overnight thing with simple bolt ons. boost should be a wake up call and a kick in the pants. times like these are the reason i laugh at people that buy m45 kits, whats the point?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 2:56 PM
also ive got no edit but say i go to the track and run 18's all day long, do a fresh tune up, head back to the track, and bam im running low 15's, just cuz i knocked off 3 seconds doesnt impress anyone... ya know?

get that car tuned and back to the track.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:51 PM
^^^^ but 3 seconds improvement from our 5spd is doable. 3 seconds improvement from our auto is IMPOSSIBLE. you just cannot improve that much with one running the same setup. in terms of driver improvement i mean.

ive said it once, ill say it again.... you guys can considerate pathetic, go ahead. i will continue to think its a great time until im proven it can be bettered to a more 'socially acceptable' time.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 10:06 AM
In my honest opinion...tuned should be 14.2-14.4 because of the auto.

All the mods he wants plus tuned should be around 13.8-14.0 in my opinion. The lack of tuning I'm sure is killing the time. My buddies m45 auto sunfire convertible went from 16.4 stock to 15.4 stock just with the m45 and nothing else.

My cavalier ran faster times with a little wheel spin, then no wheel spin at all.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, August 20, 2009 11:20 AM
Maybe I missed something... but...

I don't think you ever stated what your AFR's were during the runs? What are you hitting for peak boost?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:28 PM
high 12s

Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:55 PM
I asked 2 questions, you provided one answer, which could apply to both. Awesome.

If you are in fact talking about AFR's - oh snap. That's lean.... really lean.

Between that and the timing you have a ton of tuning to do.

I would start out with a really safe timing map and begin to advance it while watching knock, in the meantime you have to get that AFR down to safe levels and then use HPT to flatten out the fuel curve since the FMU will make it too rich in spots.

Obviously do things like work with the PE, etc.

A lot of information is needed in order to help you, so do try to be detailed.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, August 20, 2009 5:59 PM
i believe his peak boost is 8 psi.

Thursday, August 20, 2009 7:11 PM
yes and there is no knock at this afr i was running a 14.0 afr before and no knock
what would be safe afr

Friday, August 21, 2009 3:16 AM
z yaaaa wrote:^^^^ but 3 seconds improvement from our 5spd is doable. 3 seconds improvement from our auto is IMPOSSIBLE. you just cannot improve that much with one running the same setup. in terms of driver improvement i mean.

this is an auto that improved more than 3 seconds.. not a supercharged setup but still an auto http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPTE3F7pIHo

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Friday, August 21, 2009 5:30 AM
then the person wasnt even trying in the beginning. a three second improvement with an auto tells me one thing... the driver needs to try and not be drunk their first time out with the car.

Friday, August 21, 2009 6:03 AM
Cody Star wrote:yes and there is no knock at this afr i was running a 14.0 afr before and no knock
what would be safe afr

11.8:1 is what I would target, and then maximize spark advance. Turn up the boost too.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Friday, August 21, 2009 1:31 PM
alright so im pretty close now i can get 12:1
can some one like walk me through the spark timing part how many degrees do i want ill be doing this tmrw

Friday, August 21, 2009 8:04 PM
I usually shot for 11:7:1. If it was me I would first go in and take away 5 degree's of timing across all PE timing tables, get the AFR's dialed in, then start adding 1-2 degre's at a timewatching for knock and watching AFR's. Keep adding timing by 1-2 degree's until you see knock and then pull it back by a cople degree's.

FU Tuning

Friday, August 21, 2009 10:36 PM
ok ill try that tmrw afternoon then

Sunday, August 23, 2009 1:08 PM
z yaaaa wrote:how much larger is the older m62? i thought it was in between the eco/balt ss style m62 and the m45....

A gen II M62 flows about the same (like 25-60 CFM more....) as a MP45.

Keep the FMU, keep watch of the AFR, and use a MSD to pull timing... Easyest way.

Otherwise, redo the ECM pins on the ECM connector, and you can plug in a 95 ECM and make your own 2 Bar tune....

(to the best of my Knowlage it will run a 3t40, but I could be wrong, my program has the options to change shift points and all....)

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, August 23, 2009 3:13 PM
yea thats what i thought. its not much better than an m45, guys.

it was made way back when the m45 kit hadnt even been produced yet, nor the eco m62.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search