anyway to make my 2nd gear more powerful? ln2,4spd - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
anyway to make my 2nd gear more powerful? ln2,4spd
Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:23 PM
I've been going to the dragstrip for awhile now. I go about every week. I will race a Honda or maybe a Saturn, something similar to our J's. I get them all through first and then when we get to 2nd my car drags so much ass and I get passed right before the 1/8.

My best time is a 11.27, and I also had a speaker box with two 12's and a spare tire in the back. Some of the time slips are in my profile. I leave my car in 3rd and launch a little below 2000 because the street tires will spin. I've lowered my pressure down before and was able to launch at higher rpms without spin, but I couldn't get a better time doing that.

One thing I want to do is get some synthetic and a good oil filter in my car. I just put a new fuel filter on and was excited to see if It made a difference, but I didn't notice anything.

I was thinking about leaving my car in first and pushing it a tad past where it normally shifts, but not to red line and then putting it in 2nd. This car just seems to drag SO bad in 2nd gear...any tips or ideas or anything I can do? I don't think there is...im waiting for someone to say eco swap.

thanks

Re: anyway to make my 2nd gear more powerful? ln2,4spd
Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:41 PM
LD9 swap

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Saturday, September 19, 2009 5:49 PM
5 speed swap

Rememeber kids... spell check is your friend
Saturday, September 19, 2009 6:04 PM
can I just put small block 305 swap? I'll just do that..it'll bolt right up to the trans. pics soon.

Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:19 PM
305? 454

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Saturday, September 19, 2009 8:00 PM
454..DUH! ..what was I thinking?

Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:14 AM
Aside from losing weight or mods to the motor, you can try effectively adding gear. With all that sound equipment and interior in the car, adds a lot weight. The mods you have listed in your profile, your motor is still stock. With the two combined, you not doing your drag racing capabilities any favors. I always go back to the ole' adage "Show cars don't win races and race cars don't win shows," (not normally anyways.)

Get a pair of 15" steelies and a pair of either 205/55R-15s or 205/50R-15s.

The 205/55s are approximately 23.9" in diameter and would make your stock 3.61:1 gearing act like a 3.77:1 gearing, a slight change that would barely be noticeable. It should provide a slight improvement, without running out of gear, once you find the best tire pressure and launch rpm.

The 205/50s are 23" in diameter and would make the gearing act more like a 3.91:1. That's the same gearing that comes in the LD9 J-Bodies with the 4T40E. This would be more noticeable change, with quicker acceleration through all gears. You will need to find what tire pressure is best and feather the throttle even more on launch. Being basically stock, you might run out of motor, before you run out of gear. This could possibly defeate any gains made with the extra gearing.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 12:43 PM
Ah, I never thought about that! Very nice. And I notice a big difference with weight, when my friend is not in the car I run a whole .200 faster. And he weighs about 140 or so. I will be going to the strip tuesday if it's not raining like crazy.

And right now madjack I have 195/65/15's.

Also madjack since you know this motor so well..I was looking at http://www.j-body.org/members/mighty22/cars/1/ and he has listed alternator and crank pulleys...I haven't ever been able to find any of these??..Also he is running 20w50, what would be an advantage of running that thicker..you have to wait for the motor to really warm up don't you?

If I understand correctly, If I get the NGK TR7 plugs, a higher flow muffler, a 75 shot, and better pulleys, I could run approx a 14.8 in the 1/4 in this car?..mighty22 did...

thanks buddy.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 2:34 PM
A higher flow muffler without the rest of the exhaust system doesn't do a whole lot and the Fart Cans sound like @$$! Look into a full header back system and high flow Cat. A 2.25" system should be fine for what you have.

I'm not a big fan of nitrous on stock motors, if this is a daily driver. If you do go with a nitrous system, don't go over about a 55 shot without a lot more parts and work on the motor.

The TR7s are one step cooler and a copper core plug, to prevent pre-ignition and backfires. Otherwise the stock replacement AC Delco are fine. The iridium plugs work just the same, just cost more.

The only manufacturer that I'm aware of having pulleys is ASP (unless MD/LD9 found a machinist to make his). ASP list it as for (IIRC) '95-'97, but the research MD/LD9 and me did found the stock part numbers and stamping numbers for the '97 & older and the '98+ to be the same. You really don't want these if you regularly run a powerful sound system, they'll kill your battery quicker.

The only reason for running the heavy oil is is you have excessive bearing clearance and/ or your lifters are shot and ticking really bad. Lifter tick is common with stock lifters, especially when you change the rocker arms and/or cam.

A bigger throttle body can help. A TB from a 2.3L Quad4 is 56mm as compared to the stock LN2s 52mm TB. You probably won't see a difference till you do at least the header back exhaust.

Anything more will require cracking open the motor to get anything more out of it. Of course the biggest gains won't come till you commit to going inside. This includes head work (bigger valves, port & polish, surfacing, valve springs and rocker arms), camshaft regrind and building a better bottom end.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 3:04 PM
I have the 2.3 Quad4 TB and I couldn't find a TPS sensor that would work right on it, it was always off. What year 2.3 TPS sensor do I need to get. Also when I hooked it up and tried to get it working the throttle had less room from closed to WOT than my original. Maybe it was the bracket. It was a bracket that had a cruise option on it.

I still have that TB but just couldn't get it going right, it was so aggravating. And yes it is a daily driver, but I just like to take it to the strip once in awhile, and fool around. If I got some pulleys I only have a 480 watt amp, do you think it would still drain the battery?

So..more than a 55 shot is alot more stress on the engine? Makes since though, since our cars stock are putting out about 100 hp.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:34 PM
The 2.2L and 2200 are very similar and basically respond to the same mods. I don't have a lot of hands on working on the 2200, just reporting what has worked for others. All my hands-on has been with the 2.2L. From what I understand, most just transfer their stock TPS to the new TB. As fro the bracketry, you might have to figure it out or find another JBOer in the Chattanooga area who has some experiece with the swap. There's also a number of older posts about the swap that might help.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:16 AM
Verocity wrote:454..DUH! ..what was I thinking?

I wouldn't think the 454 would be worth it...if I were you I would just throw in the 572

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 6:28 PM
MadJack wrote:The 2.2L and 2200 are very similar and basically respond to the same mods. I don't have a lot of hands on working on the 2200, just reporting what has worked for others. All my hands-on has been with the 2.2L. From what I understand, most just transfer their stock TPS to the new TB. As fro the bracketry, you might have to figure it out or find another JBOer in the Chattanooga area who has some experiece with the swap. There's also a number of older posts about the swap that might help.

The TB I bought was from...well now I cant remember..he had a yellow cav, lives in Chatt. Anyways, It came with no sensors, and I tried get a 2.3 TPS sensor at Autozone and it didnt line up right..the 2.2 for that year did though. I think it may be an older year model, I don't know.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:18 AM
Quote:

The TB I bought was from...well now I cant remember..he had a yellow cav, lives in Chatt. Anyways, It came with no sensors, and I tried get a 2.3 TPS sensor at Autozone and it didnt line up right..the 2.2 for that year did though. I think it may be an older year model, I don't know.

I was somehow able to use either TPS on my car, the one from the 2.3, or the original (2200) sensor that was already on the car. The problem I had originally was that the throttle wheel is in a different resting position on the 2.3 (like it was turned further when closed). At first I drilled a hole in the 2.3 wheel and made the stock throttle cable "fit". This eventually tore the throttle cable from rubbing the wrong way on the wheel.

The next step I tried (and this worked) was I took the shaft, and wheel off the 2200 TB and swapped it over to the 2.3 TB. There is a thread on here (Event I believe made the how-to) on what to do. Basically you need to unscrew the shaft from the throttle plate and then grind off the wheel end of the shaft (where it holds the wheel to it) and take it (carefully) all apart. Do this to both TB's and then reassemble a "hybrid" TB using the plate and tb from the 2.3, the 2200 wheel and shaft. I believe i used the 2.3 spring but i could be mistaken I think they both fit. To hold the throttle wheel on I drilled a hole in the shaft (again carefully) and tapped it for a 10/32 screw ( i think thats the size i used). Put everything together, some locktite on the screw, and you should be all set.

All that said, there are 2 versions of the 2.3 TB that I know of. So yours might be completely different than the one i have. That said, you should still be able to swap everything over and be good to go.

When you mount it to the intake manifold, you will only be able to use 2 of the 4 bolts, youll see which 2 line up it only works 1 way). I never used a supplementary gasket and never had any vacuum leaks, but you could make a gasket or use RTV if you wanted i guess.

Hope that helps.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 10:01 AM
Great idea, but would all that be honestly worth it..I mean this might not even make a difference in performance. I think porting the 2200 TB right now would be a better option.

Oh..does anyone want a 2.3 HO TB? lol $30 picked up..35 shipped

Sunday, October 04, 2009 7:19 AM
Quote:

Great idea, but would all that be honestly worth it..I mean this might not even make a difference in performance. I think porting the 2200 TB right now would be a better option.

You might notice a small gain from either way you go, but in the long run it might be cheaper to use the 2.3tb, getting a stocker bored out might end up costing you more. Going bigger then 56 with your setup will only make your wallet lighter. Without headwork or a full exhaust you wont get far.

I have smaller tires for my DR's (some say too small, but i dont know), i forget the size, but they make the car pull harder in all the gears.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search