dropped it .5 - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dropped it .5
Sunday, September 20, 2009 4:50 PM
went to the track again friday and i pulled a 14.4@ 96 mph
the time slip is in my reg. i deffently need to get tires before i go again to help with my 60 ft

comments welcome

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100

Re: dropped it .5
Sunday, September 20, 2009 4:56 PM
a better 60' and a tiny bit more power and you've got a 13 second car.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:00 PM
thats what i want
theres more in there tunning wise and my car weighs 2850 with half tank its a hog.

bad part is that was the last track day till next may

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:10 PM
What were you doing to launch the car? Tire pressure? burn out of any type yes or no?

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:19 PM
launch was usually 1000-1500, tire pressure was 25 psi, and burnt out as long as e brake could hold ( e-brake is shot)

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:39 PM
I dont know what tires your running but I have heard many times your not supposed to burn out on street tires because of their compunds. Might help you even more.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:45 PM
Zs Z wrote:I dont know what tires your running but I have heard many times your not supposed to burn out on street tires because of their compunds. Might help you even more.

I have head this as well....I was under the impression that heating up a street tire which is meant to perform best under normal operating temps (ie. not doing burnouts) doesn't help or even makes it worse. This is what I have been told, but I have never personally tested this theory so I can't say for certain, but I imagine there is a site/someone that tried it out. Needless to say, an improvement on a 2.2 60ft would yield you a very good time on the 1/4 mile.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 5:45 PM
There's gotta be more tracks in your area. Around here they don't close until mid-November.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:01 PM
im not aware of any ill google around see if there is any. and we have no choice in the burn out they make us go through the water box

Sunday, September 20, 2009 6:11 PM
as for burning out on street tires, they are correct, but I always recommend doing a small butnout to clean the tires. Like get them spinning and let off brake.

i assume you were spinning alot? Could try less psi in the tires.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:36 PM
Your not supposed to burn out on street tires but like john said I as well spin a little to clean em off. If you overheat a street tire it loses grip which will slow your time down. Also if you don't have a limited slip a good way that I've found to compensate is staggered air pressure. I usually run 20 psi on the drivers side and 15 to 12 on the passenger to get the tires rotating at the same speed as quickly as possible.

Sunday, September 20, 2009 7:38 PM
guys... he's doing everything to help. after all a 2.2 is not that bad on street tires... especially wit boost.

i wathcned this car lauch.. it MELTS em off on the line.

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Sunday, September 20, 2009 8:05 PM
i would burn out pretty good in the water box never even thought of the anything else dam i wish we had another track day

any way next year HO cams ho valves os ss valves 2.3 oil pump torque converter ttr tranny mount and fuel pump of somekind

Monday, September 21, 2009 2:02 PM
Nice. I knew this definitely had more in it, a nice set of radials should be close if not in 13's.

Id love to hear this thing whine

Monday, September 21, 2009 2:10 PM
z yaaaa wrote:guys... he's doing everything to help. after all a 2.2 is not that bad on street tires... especially wit boost.

He asked for suggestions giving them. Not flaming him, just suggestions.

2.2 60 is not good either.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 21, 2009 4:39 PM
i tried no stall (which i usually do) tried 2500 and pedeling it i can not break the 2.2 60ft over the winter ill buy some drag radials.

i want get some drag radials on some 15inch rims

what i want know what is the best drag radial for the money?

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:28 PM
John Higgins wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:guys... he's doing everything to help. after all a 2.2 is not that bad on street tires... especially wit boost.

He asked for suggestions giving them. Not flaming him, just suggestions.

2.2 60 is not good either.

on street tires it is. especially w/ open diff

***edit.. its decent. didnt mean it was freakn awesome or sumpn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 21, 2009 5:29 PM

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:44 PM
Sorry seen better on 17 inch wheels and tires with open diff.

Also seeing the little bit of seat time he has and the difference he has made in that time, he can get better on this same set-up with practice and trying different things.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:58 PM
ya i want to try diffrent things track isnt even open anymore and the track was so dam packed think i ran 5 times. i started at 15.0 then 14.6 14.5 .14. 4 and ran 14.4 couple times

Monday, September 21, 2009 5:58 PM
well of course.. so have i man. im just sayn that its average thats all. not bad by any means.

our track preps badly.

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:03 PM
i was there early and i didnt see them really doing any prep like they do for the muscel cars on saturday

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:18 PM
Good times! I think a little more launch practice and it will be great. I was running 2.16 60 foots on 16 inch street tires with my v6. Car weighed about the same as yours, and I had a passenger.

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:24 PM
next time i go back ill have slick or drag radials

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:33 PM
well I think a 2.2 60ft is decent cause the other weekend I went to a track and they made me stay out of the traction compound cause I was running a drag radial and not a full slick. I would have to pull the slip out to get an exact time but I think I only got a 2.38 60ft (and thats with drag radials and a LSD insert) mind you I haven't spun that much since my open diff and street tires. It will be interesting to see what you run next year when you get back to the track.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:56 PM
ya i want beat the m45 record next year which i believe is 13.7? correct me if im wrong

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search