MT Drag Tires - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
MT Drag Tires
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:11 AM
I have been looking at the MT tires for the strip. I am running the 225/50/15 BFG drag radials now but I was kinda looking for something a little taller. I see BFG has a 235/60/15 which would give me the height I want but I think I could get a full slick that was not as wide and would be lighter.

MT has a street radial in the 235/60/15 as well but it weighs in at 27 which is the heaviest MT I've looked at so far. I see MT has a ET Drag in a 26/8.5R15 which would give me the height I'm looking for and it weighs 19 (which seems to be the lightest I've seen). I know the 8.5" only works out to a 215mm width but since its a full slick I figure it will have better grip than the 225 BFG drag radial. Wondering if anyone is running the ET Drag tires and how they like them. I'm not 100% sure the 26 height tire would fit on my car without rubbing or not so that is also another thing I would have to look into. I'm running the pro-kit with a 1.4" drop if that helps. I am running a 225/50/16 on the street and they are a 25" height and it looks like I would have enough room for a 26" but it may rub when I turn the wheel. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: MT Drag Tires
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:34 AM
If I was you I would not upsize your tire height.

Its going to hurt your overall gear ratio, which will probally hurt your times.

No offense but IMO your car doesn't make enough power to warrent a 26" slick.

Lots of dudes running in the 10's in the 1/4 on 24.5" slicks.

If I was you I'd just get a good slick (like the MT ET DRAG) thats around 24-25 inches and call it a day. You will notice a night and day differance between a full slick and your Drag Radials.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:44 AM
Listen to that guy!^^^

BTW!
Post some pics of your car, I love it!

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 10:50 AM
CLC wrote:Listen to that guy!^^^

BTW!

You talking about me?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:00 AM
newt wrote:If I was you I would not upsize your tire height.

Its going to hurt your overall gear ratio, which will probally hurt your times.

No offense but IMO your car doesn't make enough power to warrent a 26" slick.

Lots of dudes running in the 10's in the 1/4 on 24.5" slicks.

If I was you I'd just get a good slick (like the MT ET DRAG) thats around 24-25 inches and call it a day. You will notice a night and day differance between a full slick and your Drag Radials.

I wasn't really sure how the taller tire would react. I am looking at changing my final drive this winter if i can find out if it will work first (looking at going from the 3.94 to a 4.41). By the looks of things I'll be going turbo next season, just depends how the little s/c keeps up after my motor is rebuilt.

I was back on the MT site and see they have a 24.5/8.0-15 which works out to be around a 205mm width. This is a fair bit narrower than what I have now but it being a full slick would I get as good of traction or better? I've never ran a full slick so I don't have anything to compare too. There are a few hondas around here running slicks with no other traction mods pulling 2.0 60 fts which is what I am doing with a few tractions mods done. Wonder if a 8" MT ET Drag tire would improve my 60ft over the BFG's I'm running now?

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:39 AM
I'm not sure if they offer higher final drives for the F23. If they do and you run a taller tire then it would cancel eachother out, depending on the ratios however.

A higher final drive tho with a stock tire size would give better 1/4 mile times tho, so it kinda defeats the purpose to run a larger than stock tire.

Like I said in my previous post. A full slick is a night and day differance compared to a drag radial.

The tire compond is very different, there is more tire touching the ground (due to lack of tread) and also they are bias-ply. Which means the side wall can wrinkle and flex on launches.

I ran my car with that exact same size of the BFG Radials once, I now have M&H Racemaster DOT slicks (235/60-14)(Tread width is only 7.5 inches tho) which aren't even the same compound as a full slick and they also have tread. The differance is completely night and day. Unbelieveable traction with the M&H's. I have cut a few 1.9 60 foots with them, my car is also down alot on power compared to yours tho. I ussually cut 2.000's.

Here is another option tho, They are M&H (which are an awesome brand) and would be the same thing as the MT ET DRAGS that your looking at, and they are also in the size you are looking for.

http://www.mandhtires.com/store.php?crn=71&rn=332&action=show_detail

Just some food for thought, Im also no expert on tires...but thats what I know from experiance, etc.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 11:54 AM
That would be exactly what I'm looking for, I may give them a try next season. I'm still having a bit of tractions issues but no where to the extent I was having before. I just want something that will give me everything out of my setup and if I am having issues with only 190whp its only going to get worse next year when I have more power. Thanks for the link. As for the final drive the last I checked it was out of another F23 tranny in a different car. I'll have to try and find the post to be sure but if my memory serves me correct it was out of another F23, but I'm not even sure that it will fit even if it still is an F23. I'm just looking for options.

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 12:31 PM
CLC wrote:Listen to that guy!^^^

BTW!

I put some pics up in the photo/media section

Tuesday, September 22, 2009 4:08 PM
tjepkes ran 26's and only went up 1 mph over stock sized 16's. so taller does make a little difference... but it still spun em real good. definitely not 'too much' for the power.

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:38 AM
Something going on there then, Shouldn't be able to blow away those tires off the line.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:09 AM
I've been running BFG G-force Drag radials 215/60/14s for the past 2 years. I love them, 16psi and I've hit 1.9s 60ft. Just this past Friday, I launch it at 4500 and hit a 1.96 60ft and ran 13.50 in the quarter.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 8:44 AM
Does anybody have used drag radials?

bc97cavalier
Wednesday, September 23, 2009 1:40 PM
^^^ everybody.

ewt- its called less psi.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 2:06 PM
z yaa - How high were they? Still seems kinda odd.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 4:52 PM
30 i believe.

Thursday, September 24, 2009 12:10 PM
z yaaaa wrote:30 i believe.

Jesus Christ.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search