Took my auto z24 to the track - Racing Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Took my auto z24 to the track
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 8:34 PM
Well, I went to GIR tonight. The weather was good but the place was packed. There were so many cars, I waited in line for over and hour before I ran once. I ran one time and got frustrated with the long wait times and my time, so i left. The car might have been a little heatsoaked from waiting but not too bad. Here it is:

R/T .017
60' 2.27
330 6.59
1/8 10.11
mph 69.99
1000 13.15
1/4 15.72
mph 87

I have quite a bit of drag racing experience with various cars but this was the first time ever attempting to launch this car at the track. The 60' has more in it for sure. I honestly feel like I could have gotten a 2.0 had I gotten to run again. It felt great through first and ok through the 1/8 but it just seemed like the car fell on its face in the back half. I don't know if the auto's just run that much slower than the manuals or what but I'm just kind of dissapointed. I really expected low 15's and traps at least over 90 mph. Cars do seem to run slower than the norm at this track. In some cases alot slower. I think its time for some kind of forced induction.

Any input is welcome.

Re: Took my auto z24 to the track
Tuesday, September 29, 2009 9:25 PM
thats not bad at all.

i think a good idea would be get a b&m shift plus
when i installed mine it seemed to help alot, i never got anytrack time before the shift kit so i couldnt prove it

8 psi with m62 and IAT under 100
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:29 AM
15.7 for a auto is pretty respectable actually....

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:40 AM
Good time man, best i have done with my 2.4 auto is a 15.938 @ 84.97 so ya did good.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:08 AM
i think she ran pretty good. MPH leads me to believe, you should be faster in the 1/4 though.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:36 AM
Thanks guys, I feel a little better knowing I'm not unusually slow or something. I thought about a B&M shift plus but I turned up the line pressure with HP tuners so I didn't know if it would be a good idea to do both. The shifts are very firm and feel great, but I would be open to adding that if it will help. I was really surprised by how well the car launched. I brake stalled lightly and got into the throttle gradually, flooring it once I knew I wasn't getting wheelspin. This would have been a great first pass had I got more runs in afterward but I didn't feel like waiting in line another two hours. As for the trap, thats what I thought was off the most. I don't know what you guys tend to gain in the back half, but it felt nothing like it does on the street. Third tends to pull very good on the street but there it felt like it was towing a trailer behind it this time.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:34 AM
did you let any air out of you're tires??

that could make it feel slow in 3rd...

Familiar Taste of Poison.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:33 AM
Thats not bad at all....I was only running a 15.3 @ 90 last summer at my local track with the s/c...think I just had a header and small cat-back at that time...never ran the car stock

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 3:13 PM
I left my tire pressure the same as when I got there because I didn't know how traction would be. When i checked the two fronts were 30 psi, the back left was 31 psi, but the back right was at 23 psi. I guess I have a leak in it. I don't know much that would effect the trap though. I'm upset because I only got one run in and judging by the way the launch felt and how the tire pressure was off it has more in it. I'm pretty confident that I could get a 2.0 60' and if that's the case, the et would drop some more. Thank you for all the comments and support. That's the great thing about this site. I stay pretty quiet but I am well aware of everyone's accomplishments, and I have been following everyone in this thread for quite awhile. As for the future of the car, I'm definately far from done. I still have my Yank converter to put in and I really want a supercharger. I'd like a harrop setup some day but I have a feeling that if I go that route it will end up being a used m45 kit first due to the fact i'm still in college and don't have a ton of money. I've contemplated secret cams as well because of the good gain for a great price. Nitrous is really looking good right now though because its cheap and very effective. A 75 shot would have been super nice to have last night.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 5:49 PM
nitrous is a great thing for power but I know a few people running it and its soooo expensive. $100 for a 10lb bottle is a good amount of change. There is a guy I know who built a nitrous neon and he gets 8-10 passes on a 10lb bottle, he wishes he went turbo now cause of the cost. My mp45 kit will be up for sale in a couple months...I have a post in the boost section about it here somewhere

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:04 PM
I would really rather have the supercharger because then I have the power all the time, its just cool how cheap you can pick used nitrous kits up for. Nitrous refills aren't too bad around here but I think its still up to around 4 dollars a pound or so. I noticed that yours and wade's superchargers will be up for sale since goin to the m62 and I have seriously thought about that because I would have time to gather up the money. Btw, how is everyone else launching their cars? For the auto's you can either brake stall it or flash the converter. Which way has been more effective for everyone?

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 8:27 PM
i only do 1500 stall but thats with s/c na i could get it up 3000

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:05 PM
That's exactly where I stalled it to. It seemed to work pretty well and I think I could get into the throttle harder than I did. I'm going to stick with that method when I go back.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:08 PM
do you burn out in the water box?
if so how long

Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:21 PM
No, I didn't think there would be any use on burning out on street tires. I was forced to drive through it so I just made sure I nailed it and cleaned them off before I got up to the line. What do you normally do?
Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:45 PM
your doing it right i was always did a huge burn out wrong thing to do lol

Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:59 PM
I can tell you that getting a 2.0 will be nearly impossible for you unless you go to the strip on a weekly to twice weekly happening.
It also depends on how well they prep the track in how well you're going to launch and how good your 60 foot is going to be.
I can say that I've got a best of 2.09 at Irvington dragway which too is an 1/8 mile and very well prepped track.
That happened only once and never did it again with the auto Cavy I've got.

I've run a best of 15.6 way back in 2003 and have plateaued, never getting any faster due to an inferior produced exhaust from a local muffler shop.
With the setup of the car now, I'm sure to be running in the lower mid 15's or low 15's with the new exhaust, weight reduction, and HPTuners at the helm.
Since you mentioned that you used HPT on your tranny setup, have you got a full tune on your car, and is the HPT yours? Just curious because when I run the 15.6's way back when, we had no tuning software so that makes me curious as to how HPT is going to affect the Cavy now that it's going to be fully tuned the next time I'm hitting the track.

And just for the background info, I drag raced for about 3 years straight winning two back to back trophies in bracket racing in which I then retired from the scene.
I still go from time to time but still haven't broken the 15.6 barrier until I get the car back on the road after a year in the garage getting prepped for track duty and the strip.

My burnouts aren't burnouts per se but more of a cleaning/ scrubbing of the tires before I stage. I also launch at the rpms of about 1500 to 2000 consistently with easy 2.2's for the 60 foot times.
Tire pressures (depending on the tires I'm using) stay in the 26 to 30 psi range for the best compromise of initial traction and best trap speeds.
I'd get into the details of this but that may take up way more space and seriously doubt that anyone wants to read through all the rhetoric.

But great times for you man and you're headed in the right direction.
Pay attention more to your 60 foot times as opposed to your et's and your times will drop accordingly.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:49 PM
The car is fully tuned with HP Tuners but I don't own it. It was done by a friend that has been tuning cars for 20 years and he is very good. My rev limiter is raised to 6500 which may be a little high for the stock cams but I plan to do secret cams so i was trying to plan for the future a little bit because he lives about 3 hours from me and I may not be able to make it back up there right away.

The launch felt like it had quite a bit left but it sounds like you have alot of experience with a similar set up to mine. I have been drag racing for about 3 years and I know that the first 60 feet matter the most. It's just about being able to get back there before the season ends to get some extra practice in. Winter is coming and the car will have a different set up by next spring most likely.

I launched pretty much like you and cleaned my tires off the same way and it seemed pretty effective. I'm definately not done with the car and i am planning for a turbo this winter but if that doesn't work out then I still have my yank stall and secret cams to do. I know the car has more in it but I only got to run once. If there are any mods that you think really made a big difference on your car, I would be open to other options.

Thank you for the input.
Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:42 PM
Sweet.
That also makes me feel pretty good about the 15.6 without ever tuning the car so now I've got alot to look forward to see what the car will do with a full tune (n/a) and all that has already been done to the car from previous work.

Where I live, the tracks here stay open all year long which would include a 1/4 mile track (Gulfport Dragway) and an 1/8 mile track which would be Mobile Dragway.
So I've always got a chance to take it to the track in some nice cool weather for some good times at the track.
Good luck with the last few runs you'll get before it gets too cold or your track closes.
Get that turbo in there and realize more power with much better times too. You'll then have to reevaluate all of what you've learned being n/a to now being boosted so good luck with that too.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, October 16, 2009 6:40 AM
Thanks blu. Keep me updated.
Sunday, October 18, 2009 11:26 AM
as far as the launch goes i'd say upper/lower engine mounts helped me a lot. a lot less wheel hop and just better grip/feel.
i need to get my hands on hp tuners, seems everybody is doing it.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:21 PM
The mounts made a huge difference! I have the solid tranny mount and poly control arm bushings as well and it felt great out of the hole. Those are the main things that contributed to me being so confident in being able to get a better much launch.
Monday, October 19, 2009 4:24 PM
why do i have crappy 60's but nice 1/4's?

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:56 PM
whiskerbiscuit wrote:why do i have crappy 60's but nice 1/4's?

First you have an Eco engine which will always outdo most LD9's stock for stock.
I know this because my best friend had a 1SV and I was always a few ticks behind in the 1/8 and 1/4 mile times.
Tuning has alot to do with how well an LD9 runs at the track and the factory tune is not track friendly at all.
That should explain most of that question.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Monday, October 19, 2009 5:52 PM
i have an auto that slips real bad. my best pass is with a

R/T of 1.19.....drank a drank before this pass
60' 2.48
330' 6.76
1/8 10.24
1/8mph 71.44
1000' 13.26
1/4 15.84
1/4mph 88.18

i've notice that other people getting a better time than me but not a faster trap speed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search